I'm sure that to various degrees and with varying similarity, this has been discussed, but I hope without offending I can ask this specific question and get a specific answer from one or those who know more than me:

I have an unlocked 9550 with a sim card currently served (and provided) by Verizon, and consequently using CDMA technology. I am seriously considering a move to AT@T and was told by a technician at AT&T yesterday that even with an AT&T sim card and changing the Network Technology in Connection Settings on my phone to GSM/UMTS or Global, my 9550 will still not work with full functionality under AT&T service using GSM technology because, "...BlackBerry manufactures those phones specifically for Verizon and the *hardware* is different from a phone designed to be used on GSM, and/or Verizon and/or BlackBerry programs differences in the software so deeply that you can't get through the required changes. The message being that even though my 9550 is an un-locked "world phone" with a sim card, changing service from CDMA to GSM or vice versa won't work with full functionality.

Is this true (accurate)???

Thanks in advance!
    12-15-12 10:33 AM
    Wrong. I used a AT&T sim in my old unlocked Storm 2 for a long time. Go to the 9550 forum for a link to setting up the Storm with the correct ATT service books. You will only get EDGE data speed though. No 3G because the Storm does not use the same frequency that ATT uses for 3G.
    12-15-12 10:55 AM
    12-15-12 01:13 PM
    Thanks, jgenn3 and SwitchBeach; I am seeing from your replies and the linked thread that in fact I *would* lose some functionality (not much, but a little it would seem), but most of all there are some internal settings I would have to change in order to get that. All in all, I don't think it is worth it to me to try to keep my nearly 3 year old device (currently on its 3rd replacement by Verizon in the last 2 weeks) operating if I make the move. Sadder (not much) and wiser (not much of that either lol), I now know that an unlocked BB *will* smoothly make the move to a new provider *if* the new provider uses the same antenna technology as the old provider, and that an unlocked BB *can* make the move to a new provider using different antenna technology than the original, but in a somewhat funky and creaky manner...life goes on...(brah, la la how the life goes on!)

Thanks again
    12-16-12 09:04 AM