I just bought a 8320 unlocked from TMO and inserted my ATT sim card. Basic features are working fine like expected, but the wifi won't work with data turned off. I don't carry the data plan so I wanted to make sure I wasn't running up a huge bill.
    It detects my modem and says connected, (4 bars with a yellow circle with a minus in it) but when I go to the browser it says something to the extent of the service being unavailable and to try back later. (sorry, I can't recall the exact wording, but I am away from my modem to check it)
    I looked through the forum and found some great information, but it still won't work.Am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy the data plan or am I missing something here?
    09-17-09 01:55 PM
    your gonna have to install ATT's service books....
    09-17-09 02:22 PM
    check Options/Advanced/Browser and make sure the default browser is set to "hotspot browser' and that should fix your wifi connection.
    09-17-09 02:49 PM
    check Options/Advanced/Browser and make sure the default browser is set to "hotspot browser' and that should fix your wifi connection.
    I've got it set as that, but it still wouldn't access the browser.
    09-17-09 03:08 PM
    your gonna have to install ATT's service books....
    I'm new to the whole BB thing so you'll have to bear with me here. How do I go about doing this and by doing so, will this mean that they will force me to accept their data plan?
    Thanks.
    09-17-09 03:09 PM
    (sorry, I can't recall the exact wording, but I am away from my modem to check it)
    I just stopped by the house for a moment and it said "Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider."
    Don't know if that helps, but thought I'd throw it out there.
    09-17-09 04:50 PM
    I'm new to the whole BB thing so you'll have to bear with me here. How do I go about doing this and by doing so, will this mean that they will force me to accept their data plan?
    Thanks.
    ya your gonna have to subscribe to data before you can do anything.....sorry
    09-18-09 08:13 PM
    It's my guess switching off data services on the phone turns it into a dumb phone. My 8220's HotSpot browser doesn't work with data services switched off. I do have a data plan.

Call AT&T customer service and ask if they can turn off data access on your account so that it is impossible for you to use pay-per-use mobile network data.
    09-19-09 12:27 PM
    p.s. Check out the thread discussing WiFi apps that do and don't require a data plan.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...use-wifi-29376
    Last edited by hubermania; 09-19-09 at 12:39 PM. Reason: edited for stupidity
    09-19-09 12:35 PM
    Hi everyone,

When connecting to your AP (i.e. modem) look on BB if you have arrows blinking in both directions. It is possible that you have only outgoing arrow present what is indicating that you have send data out, data for connecting to AP. If that is case, your BB haves “connected” status but is not able to retrieve data (i.e. web pages) and haves message that you have mentioned.

Use your BB while walking through city and look for open networks, try to connect. If you success, than one of those possibilities could help you:
    1. go through your AP settings (if you know what you are doing) and look if there is some kind of filtering enabled
    2. I heard (can’t guaranty) that there are certain APs that have issues with connectivity (i.e. AP to BB and vice versa). Google on that, and eventually buy AP that you know that works with yours BB.
    10-27-09 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD