Hi guys...I don't know if anyone is still having this issue, but here's what I did (and it appears to have worked, so far):

First of all, my Curve 8310 was nuked when I tried upgrading from v4.2 to v4.5, after just having installed DM v4.7.

Go here, and download and install (to your PC) DM v4.6.

Next, go here and download and install (to your PC) the OS for your provider.

Next, follow this guide. When it comes to step 2, if you have problems with the device connecting here's what I did:
    -Remove the battery from your BB
    -Click Next to go to the connection screen
    -Hover your mouse over the Next button and have your hand ready, and with your other hand plug the other end of your USB data cable into your BB
    -As soon as you see the textbox switch to "USB-PIN:UNKNOWN", click Next

Now, here seems to be the part where a lot of people have issues (myself included):

Once you select the apps you want to install with the OS, you'll see a progress bar completing several steps.

Replace the battery in your BB (put it back in) while the progress bar is at the very first stage, it says something like "Erasing old information" or "Erasing old data", or something along those lines.

Once you replace the battery at this time, you should NOT receive the "Unable to complete the loading operation - Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation" error message, and the process should complete successfully.

After that, your BB should reboot (if you keep using the guide I posted above, it will tell you that the reboot can take about 10-15 minutes, so don't worry when it doesn't come back right away).

Hopefully by the time it reboots your BB will be back with your new OS, and working properly.

These steps worked for me on a 8310 Curve. Hopefully they will work for you as well.

I did a lot of research, and read a lot of other forum posts to finally solve this problem. You can find my original help post here. Credit to those who helped me out, and who pointed me in the right direction. I hope this post helps anyone else who runs into this problem in the future to revive their BB!
    ReallyFastBikerBoy likes this.
    03-08-09 10:42 PM
    AHHH.
    I was on my way to a job fair when my curve 8320 suddenly went into that continuous reboot cycle. I didn't even touch it!! And my last 3rd part ap install was a theme 2 weeks ago. Everything was perfect until this random incident today.

I've tried reconnecting the battery at the very first stage, as Icon stated. And I've also tried reconnecting the battery as soon as it goes to the "wait for device initialization stage" as another posted said...but no luck.

Any other ideas?
    03-09-09 01:31 PM
    Please help. Does anyone have any insight?
    03-09-09 11:26 PM
    Throw another one on the "Unable to reconnect..." pile.

The battery trick didn't work either, and I've tried both a laptop and desktop (and not in that order)
    03-10-09 04:55 PM
    Have you tried using different USB ports then doing the same thing?
    03-10-09 04:57 PM
    Yeah, tried using this old USB port for an old mp3 player that I've been using to charge my curve..and to install an OS on another blackberry. Then I tried using the cord it came with. But no luck.
    My phone's only about 2 months old, so I'm just gonna call At&t to try and get a new one in by the weekend (hopefully).

It's just weird how I didn't even touch the phone and it started rebooting. I hadn't even installed anything on it since a couple weeks before and I didn't even plug it in to my computer the night before to charge as I still had half the battery left. Blah
    03-11-09 12:27 AM
    So I've got an idea, but I'm not entirely sure it would work. Most utilities (CrackUtil,JL_Cmder, etc) can't connect to the phone b/c it's constantly in reboot. Would it be possible to use the loader.exe /nojvm to connect to the device and hold it from rebooting, then use one of the other utils to clean it?
    03-11-09 12:40 PM
    I have Pearl 8110 on AT&T, and ran into this after trying to upgrade to OS v4.5. I tried all of the ideas: pulling battery and replacing during install, changing settings on USB ports etc. I followed the steps posted by Icon, downloading DM 4.6 and redownloading OS v4.5, no luck. Finally downloaded my original OS v4.3 and followed the steps again. It worked. I have decided to give up on the OS v4.5, as I could not get it to successfully install.
    03-13-09 01:36 AM
    I have a BB Bold and I'm getting the Reload Software 507 Error Message... I have tried using the cmd prompt to open up the app loader... and i've tried to put the battery in at whatever time it says to and i keep getting the same "unable to recconect to device"... I got this error message while trying to upgrade to 4.6.0.247... idk how to "wipe" the handheld cuz i was trying to use CrackMem and all it did was take me back to the AppLoader which wasn't working to begin with... I might take it to the AT&T store and see if they can help me... idk what to do... I just got this phone too
    03-16-09 11:47 AM
    Okay so my issue was resolved... I called AT&T and the poor dude that was helping me out 1.) Didn't know what the crap he was talking about and 2.) was an iPhone user/BB hater so that sucked... with the battery in the phone and everything he made me open up the desktop manager and plug my bb in... then made me open up the application loader and click on add/remove programs or whatever it says and it just wiped my handheld and got it working... i mean it was soooo simple that it pissed me off...

Important side note... may have to do with this working or not... I uninstalled desktop manager from my computer and reinstalled it... so idk if that has anything to do with it... good luck to everyone who still has this problem... i know how frustrating it can
    03-16-09 01:56 PM
    I also have this issue with my BB 8820, and try every method. I can install the ROM 4.2, but can't install the 4.5. Can someone have any other solutions?
    03-18-09 04:08 AM
    Helpful infos.Carry on.Thanks.
    03-18-09 04:40 AM
    Hi guys...I don't know if anyone is still having this issue, but here's what I did (and it appears to have worked, so far):

First of all, my Curve 8310 was nuked when I tried upgrading from v4.2 to v4.5, after just having installed DM v4.7.

Go here, and download and install (to your PC) DM v4.6.

Next, go here and download and install (to your PC) the OS for your provider.

Next, follow this guide. When it comes to step 2, if you have problems with the device connecting here's what I did:
    -Remove the battery from your BB
    -Click Next to go to the connection screen
    -Hover your mouse over the Next button and have your hand ready, and with your other hand plug the other end of your USB data cable into your BB
    -As soon as you see the textbox switch to "USB-PIN:UNKNOWN", click Next

Now, here seems to be the part where a lot of people have issues (myself included):

Once you select the apps you want to install with the OS, you'll see a progress bar completing several steps.

Replace the battery in your BB (put it back in) while the progress bar is at the very first stage, it says something like "Erasing old information" or "Erasing old data", or something along those lines.

Once you replace the battery at this time, you should NOT receive the "Unable to complete the loading operation - Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation" error message, and the process should complete successfully.

After that, your BB should reboot (if you keep using the guide I posted above, it will tell you that the reboot can take about 10-15 minutes, so don't worry when it doesn't come back right away).

Hopefully by the time it reboots your BB will be back with your new OS, and working properly.

These steps worked for me on a 8310 Curve. Hopefully they will work for you as well.

I did a lot of research, and read a lot of other forum posts to finally solve this problem. You can find my original help post here. Credit to those who helped me out, and who pointed me in the right direction. I hope this post helps anyone else who runs into this problem in the future to revive their BB!
    did not work for me
    03-20-09 07:10 PM
    Anyone have some other solutions? PLS help us!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 08:56 PM
    Anyone have some other solutions? PLS help us!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i haven't read your other posts, but have you tried downgrading back to the Original OS you were trying to upgrade? this worked well for my wife's 8110
    03-28-09 04:33 AM
    tried all the suggestions and this phones stays on reboot....is there any update on this?
    05-11-09 10:44 AM
    tried all the suggestions and this phones stays on reboot....is there any update on this?
    The advise on the first page is still relevant.

The first step is to diagnose the USB port issues, then try it again. Many users have reported success only after multiple tries.

View Document
    05-11-09 12:01 PM
    The advise on the first page is still relevant.

The first step is to diagnose the USB port issues, then try it again. Many users have reported success only after multiple tries.

View Document

tried everything in the thread and it didn't work
    05-11-09 12:36 PM
    I also have this issue with my BB 8820, and try every method. I can install the ROM 4.2, but can't install the 4.5. Can someone have any other solutions?
    i did every step mentioned in this forum and nothing, my bb 8820 is dead

cmder show this
    C:\JL_Cmder v1.9.0>javaloader -usb wipe
    RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2007 Research In Motion Limited
    Connecting to device...debug: COM error during Open: (0x80040001)
    Error: unable to open port

HELP!!! what more i can do
    05-21-09 06:02 PM
    did not work for me
    Not even for me

"Error 394" on my bb 8820
    05-21-09 06:06 PM
    I am having the same problem with my AT&T 8310. I have tried every method described in this thread, and on many other forums. I am stuck in the boot cycle. I have tried three different programs to try and wipe the original software before beginning. none of them work because they are not able to connect. I get to the end of the loading software step then BAM it goes bad. I have tried seriously about 60 times, inserting the battery at all different times and every other trick suggested. I have tried with old OS versions, new OS versions, blah blah everything. Maybe someone will solve this, one day. I miss my BB
    05-24-09 12:38 AM
    I bought the phone in october of last year, maybe I can get a warranty exchange. I will contact AT&T tomorrow about this.
    05-24-09 12:45 AM
    Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation

Look @ your screen it said to type start( S T A R T)
    My screen never shows anything. It is black now and stays black through the whole operation.
    05-25-09 07:56 PM
    Just adding my experience:

My AT&T 8300 (running their 4.5) went into endless reboot loop -- steady red light, light off, then screen appears with the rotating hourglass, then off -- after letting it discharge apparently all the way, and then connecting it to a USB power cable (no signal) attached to a hub. I've tried the USB power -- I'm using a dual head cable with the "signal" connected to the laptop and the "power" connected to a Belkin surge protector power slot -- but that didn't work out for me.

I tried the LOADER.EXE /NOJVM solution, more than 10x, with various permutations of battery installation, PIN and no PIN. I uninstalled the Desktop Manager and the BB OS, deleted the registry keys, and reinstalled with the 4.2 OS.

My Windows machine only has USB1 ports, but that should have only made it slow, one would think. And, yes, I rebooted the computer several times.

I also tried the JavaLoader.exe -usb wipe solution. That now has no connection at all, and provides the "COM error during Open: (0x800400001)" error.

I'd be a lot less upset with RIM if this had happened because I actually did something. I'm assuming that there was a push update of some sort that failed when the device ran out of charge.

My guess is that there are different types of failures. The steady on red light for a few seconds then off, LED on with gray screen and spinning hourglass, then LED off -- probably has some meaning.

No matter what I did, I still ended up with the Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation error.

As an AT&T customer, I'm left with that nagging question: Why didn't I get the iPhone? With the number of problems that I have had with this device, I can't say that I'd ever get another BlackBerry of any kind. Since I can't wipe it (or confirm that it's wiped) I can't parts it to anyone else, either. Gotta go the destruction route.

Still, glad for everyone's contribution of answers here. Hours later, they just didn't work out for me.

Here's my specs:

Curve 8310 AT&T
    Was with AT&T BB OS 4.5 and AT&T 4.6 Desktop
    No water damage (water sign clear)
    No trauma preceding problem
    Normally synched to Macbook
    Updated using HP laptop, USB 1
    Dual head USB connector hooked up to laptop and external 500 mA power
    05-27-09 03:06 PM
    I think after 10 days of trying is time to give up. my 8800 in perfect condition no water damage is now a blinking flashing ashtray. unless somebody can come up with something new. going back to nokia my first and last blackberry
    Last edited by snapper58; 06-01-09 at 08:42 AM. Reason: adding something new
    06-01-09 08:40 AM
140 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD