I understand that with OS6 we do not have to change the browser. I am not able to connect to Internet using home WiFi. I tried the following:

1. I am connected to my Wifi (Wifi indicator white). However BIS still shows Mobile Network and "BB" icon is besides 3G. Shouldn't Torch use my WiFi?
    2. Made Data Plan Off. Didn't work either.

I really don't want to waste money on using Data Plan from Home when i have WiFi. Please help me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 12:31 PM
    You may be connected to your router but might not have been assigned an ip address yet. Try rebooting your router and modem. Just power cycle by unplugging both for 30 seconds or so. Next plug in your modem and wait until any light activity is done. Then plug back in your router. Now try connecting your phone to wifi. If you still do not have internet. Type in either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1on your home pc and if it pops up with a sign in you got the right page. Every manufactire is different but usually under wireless options you want to find the dhcp client list which is every wireless device currently.connected. chances are your torch is not listed if you can not use wifi on it. Under the basic settings page make sure your range is.open enough to allow the device. Most routers defualt to allow.50 or so seperate ip addresses. It should say range 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.149 or very similar to that. Make sure dhcp is on and if you have a wireless n router it is set to 2.4ghz not 5ghz. Or enable wireless to have b/g/n. From your phone make sure it is set to automatic and do not manually enter in your network protocols.

Sorry so long, the power cycle should resolve it but continue with the rest if it does not work.

12-04-10 01:30 PM
    OK, I have the same problem...or at least it's similar. I was able to connect to my home Wi-Fi with my Bold 9700 with no problems. Last week I got a Torch and can no longer connect to the internet via my home Wi-Fi. My home network is working fine and my Torch connects to my other saved locations. I have tried resetting my wireless router with no luck. I have deleted and added the Wi-Fi network and it still doesn't work. Ideas?
    12-25-10 09:07 AM
    OK, I have the same problem...or at least it's similar. I was able to connect to my home Wi-Fi with my Bold 9700 with no problems. Last week I got a Torch and can no longer connect to the internet via my home Wi-Fi. My home network is working fine and my Torch connects to my other saved locations. I have tried resetting my wireless router with no luck. I have deleted and added the Wi-Fi network and it still doesn't work. Ideas?
    What router are you using at home? Just curious.
    12-25-10 11:29 AM
    Many "home" routers only support 4 wireless clients simotaneously.

12-25-10 08:54 PM
    If it connects to other wifi spots, then it's definitely your router setup. Go into the router setup screen on your pc and make sure the wireless broadcasting is set up correctly.

It may be your location also..don't know but just an idea, that something might be interfering with either your wi-fi broadcast or your phone. See if you could switch the broadcast frequency on the router (in the setup menu) , there are usually about 10 different channels or more.
    12-25-10 09:00 PM
    I understand that with OS6 we do not have to change the browser. I am not able to connect to Internet using home WiFi. I tried the following:

1. I am connected to my Wifi (Wifi indicator white). However BIS still shows Mobile Network and "BB" icon is besides 3G. Shouldn't Torch use my WiFi?
    2. Made Data Plan Off. Didn't work either.

I really don't want to waste money on using Data Plan from Home when i have WiFi. Please help me.

On your router set se security to WPA2. Worked for me.

12-25-10 10:06 PM
    Check for firmware updates for your router, then verify that the channel that the router is set to use (for best results, try using either channel 6 or 11). If you are using a wireless N capable router, set it so that clients using wireless B or G can't connect (but only do this if you aren't going to have any B or G clients on your network). Changing the security type (WPA2 vs WPA or WEP) won't do anything to help this situation (though using WPA2 is a good idea anyway). The only reason that "worked" is because the access point would need to be rebooted after setting a new (or using the same) password for the wireless. Setting the password would trigger a reboot of the access point.

12-25-10 10:54 PM
    Having similar problems connecting my new 9780. The router is netgear DGN100.

The netgear site lists a solution for this: I am unable to connect my Blackberry 8820 to my wireless router

Have updated the software version, still do not see the QoS menu.

Have also rebooted the router several times, changed the password too. Also rebooted the BB.

Works just fine at other locations where i have tried to use wifi. But not this one at home.
    01-02-11 01:14 PM
    Its def ur router...for some updating the firmware has worked but for others it hasn't (myself included). Netgear routers are hit and miss, I've got 3 seperate wifi points in my house 2 Netgears (1 connects 1 doesn't) The WNR2000 series is pretty poor at connecting to blackberrys (sometimes it will connect and work but 95% of the time it won't). The 3rd is the at&t 2wire which works flawlessly. I would recommend checking if your Netgear router is compatible to be flashed with the DD-WRT firmware, you can check here:

Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

If it is try downloading the correct firmware for your router and upgrade (you will need you router model number as well as version number). Most likely by using the DD-WRT firmware your router will work properly (the one netgear router that works for me didn't work with netgears firmware but worked with DD-WRT firmware but not all routers are supported yet a lot are still in development).

Good luck and if you need any help figuring out the firmware update process let me know.
    01-03-11 12:40 PM
    I'm using a torch 9860 and I have this problem. My email, facebook, twitter etc all work but when i try to use the browser I get the 'unable to connect to internet' message.

It has worked in the past.
    I have a data plan.
    my laptops work fine on the internet.
    The torch shows its connected to my netgear router (rangemax DG834PN).
    tried turning mobile hotspots on but i get th error: 'cannot start mobile hotspot due to a temporary network problem'
    I dont seem to have QoS on this router.

Can't understand why it was working but not now!
    12-03-12 01:40 PM
    any ideas?
    12-10-12 10:40 AM
    Does the browser work on the carrier network? Does BBM work?
    12-10-12 11:09 AM
    yes - turned off wifi and I connected to the internet via vodafone. Not sure if BBM works as I don't use it. Is there a way to test it?
    12-13-12 03:18 PM
    Add yourself as a Contact in BBM and test it. Or test it with someone in the Social Forums.

Also I would try it on a different WiFi network to see if the problem still exists.
    12-13-12 04:51 PM
    BBM works ok. It doesn't work on another wifi connection either.
    12-15-12 03:37 PM
    just to let everyone know, I installed the latest os update and, so far, the problem is cured.
    12-21-12 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD