I've been working on getting off google services. I'd like to see everyone's alternatives to google.

Search- ix quick search
    Email - hushmail or protonmail

Haven't found a contact backup solution that works yet, any suggestions????
    The Big Picture, pkcable and lift like this.
    08-30-14 12:59 PM
    Outlook has free mail with EAS support for contacts. Or you can just pay for a decent email with EAS.

https://duckduckgo.com/ for search alternative
    08-30-14 01:04 PM
    I'm all outlook.com now, I even pay to NOT have ads. Albeit it will be a while before I can delete my GMail account completely...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-30-14 01:23 PM
    Love that duckduckgo

Check out IWIK at BBM Channel C002FA57C
    Velocitymj likes this.
    08-30-14 01:28 PM
    Duckduckgo and I only keep a local contacts backup in Vcf format using
    Contacts imex
    From app world

Duckduckgo.com for searches has become a lot better recently and you can add "bangs" to use Duckduckgo to search other websites
    An example.. to search Google news via Duckduckgo go you would just add "!gn" to the search term
    Velocitymj likes this.
    08-30-14 01:35 PM
    I signed into ProtonMail. But it isn't wholly functional right now. And less so considering I can't get it HUB integrated. If it does become more compatible while still retaining it's world view, it'll become my defacto account for sure.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    08-30-14 02:17 PM
    Google apps serve me well, infact i spent considerable amount of time flashing google apps on my Samsung galaxy Note 3 duo N9002. Samsung shipped the phone to China stripping it of google apps. I am very happy now.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-30-14 03:06 PM
    Does hushmail work with the hub?
    08-30-14 03:36 PM
    I have to use google services for work. So while its not ideal I do like how well they work on the nexus I'm using right now. I do use duckduckgo for searches though.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-30-14 03:42 PM
    Outlook has free mail with EAS support for contacts. Or you can just pay for a decent email with EAS.

https://duckduckgo.com/ for search alternative
    +1 on duckduckgo. I've been using it on all my browsers. Still have a couple of times a week where I throw in the towel and search on Google.
    08-30-14 04:10 PM
    Does hushmail work with the hub?
    I got several accounts with them.

You need a full subscription with IMAP (10GB, they call it "Desktop support" subscription or similar), not the free or webmail 1GB one.

Works fine, support / help desk is excellent and the company is Canada-based.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-30-14 04:10 PM
    I've been working on getting off google services. I'd like to see everyone's alternatives to google.

Search- ix quick search
    Email - hushmail or protonmail

Haven't found a contact backup solution that works yet, any suggestions????
    Microsoft is your solution.

Outlook email, Bing search.

I am all Microsoft except for their phones, and it just works well for me.

Contact Sync: Outlook People automatically gathers info from your social account and your emails.
    Calendar Sync works well with BB
    OneDrive is accessible easily from any BB device. I have 1000gb storage from owning Office 365.
    Office 365 works really well integrated into onedrive.

But WIndows Phone just cannot match BB10.

And about the Google hysteria thing, I do not know enough to have an opinion on it, but I just know that they shove Google Plus down my throat for having a Google account.

- The clean interface of Outlook is also a lot better than the Gmail interface with separate section for "promotion"? I check my Gmail inbox once a year, and it's just bumbarded with spam from Google services, whether it is from Google Plus, Youtube, etc. YUCK

Gmail really sucks.
    08-30-14 04:44 PM
    I don't use anything Google, apple or microsoft.

Search: duckduckgo and startpage
    Maps: BlackBerry Maps
    Email: for now Hotmail, until I find another one. And thunderbird.
    Mobile OS: BlackBerry 10
    Tablet os: playbook os but might get an amazon tablet or regular android.
    Computer browser: Firefox
    Phone browser: BlackBerry
    Everything else: non Google, apple or Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    lift, Ragbert and KingOfQwerty like this.
    08-30-14 04:48 PM
    Outlook allows you to have unlimited aliases.

I find it better than Gmail. Gonna look into that no ads option...

Posted via CB10
    lift and surfer41 like this.
    08-30-14 05:43 PM
    Outlook allows you to have unlimited aliases.

I find it better than Gmail. Gonna look into that no ads option...

Posted via CB10
    I do like that about Outlook.

Q10, N5, N10.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-30-14 05:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you don't use youtube?
    08-30-14 06:07 PM
    Edit: Quote deleted. Comment speaks for itself.

Dude, OP just asked for alternatives to Google, not for the overly sensitive and patronizing rant you came up with. Thanks for hijacking what was turning out to be a good thread.
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 08-31-14 at 07:16 PM.
    08-30-14 07:10 PM
    Yea seriously, I didn't ask everyone for their views on privacy issues. Just list some alternatives to google.

On the BlackBerry I've been using Max safe browser and secure browser and enpass has its own browser. My homepage is set to ix search.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-30-14 07:34 PM
    www.startpage.com

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    08-30-14 08:12 PM
    @skstrials
    Maybe you can help me. How do I access my office365 onedrive on the BlackBerry? The onedrive app only let's me sign in to an outlook.com account.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 08:27 PM
    I am confused about a few people reporting that Gmail and Outlook.com are spamming them with ads in their inbox. Did I misunderstand this? I have both accounts and have not received ads from them. However, I don't use their webmail interfaces, so maybe that is saving me.

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    08-30-14 08:38 PM
    @skstrials
    Maybe you can help me. How do I access my office365 onedrive on the BlackBerry? The onedrive app only let's me sign in to an outlook.com account.

Posted via CB10
    Update your app. It works with the latest release.

Posted via CB10
    snejpa likes this.
    08-30-14 08:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Try hushmail.com for email. Canada-based. Encrypted.

Costs a few dollars, but I reckon it's worth it. Support is excellent.

They even went through the hassle of retrieving accidentally deleted drafts for me that I thought I had lost forever. One email to them and I had them back in a separate folder. Yeah!

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-30-14 08:58 PM
    Yea seriously, I didn't ask everyone for their views on privacy issues. Just list some alternatives to google.

On the BlackBerry I've been using Max safe browser and secure browser and enpass has its own browser. My homepage is set to ix search.
    OP has spoken. Sorry OP for adding to that distraction. I haven't got myself away from Google yet. But I'm comfortable using some of their services. I do use MS Outlook as well for email and syncing my contacts and calendar. I feel it works best on a BlackBerry. I don't know what else to mention since I don't know what Google services you are looking to replace. All I do know is that you can replace their services quite easily and I'm sure CB is a good place to ask such a question. cheers.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 09:15 PM
    With the way Protonmail is setup with the two stage sign in, not sure how well it would ever work with the hub. Maybe they could rig something up when they make their mobile application.

On a side note, been using duckduckgo, just unfortunately not good for Canadian search results.

I'm on the outs with Google, not because I think there is some conspiracy, I just don't like the way they have conducted themselves, so choose to limit the business I do with them.

I signed into ProtonMail. But it isn't wholly functional right now. And less so considering I can't get it HUB integrated. If it does become more compatible while still retaining it's world view, it'll become my defacto account for sure.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    08-30-14 09:30 PM
96 123 ...