Flash is a big security hole. I wish we still have it too, but if Adobe doesn't update it and support it anymore what can BB do?
    Yeah
    But leave it alone, and if nearly everyone agrees.
    It has always been known as a security hole, but BlackBerry was brave enough to introduce it.
    Having the best security in mobile Kingdom, so what's changed.
    = Not Much + Leave it Alone!!!

jtvberry
    02-24-15 10:38 AM
    I see your point, but from a user's perspective it is void. BlackBerry took it away for cost reduction but the result stays the same: user does not have the capability to use this, it has been taken away.

One thing is the cost structure policy of BlackBerry but to ask the user to give them credit for that, when a feature they might want to use is scrapped is a totally different story and honestly, why would the user have to care for the license fee BlackBerry pays. When the phone was purchased it was supported, now taken away, so I say the user has paid their corresponding part if the costing projection would have been made properly taking into account user repeat purchases cycles.

Additionally, without knowing the allocation and projection of costs, you cannot know if in terms of accounting cost models such fees were projected in the cost analysis before as part of a user's spending being it's funding. Something tells me that it has been relocated so as to be part of a cost cutting procedure, if your initial argument is to be valid. So, again, this is BlackBerry changing the terms, not the user.

in any case (and personally I do not care much it has been taken away but would like to still have it), the user has every right to protest against this change. I understand the business perspective but since I am a client I will judge from a user perspective.

you ask mainly for a user to be "sympathetic and understanding" towards a unilaterally imposed decision in the consumer/provider relationship, originating in the producer's decision.

Posted via CB10
    Am Flabbergasted...lol

jtvberry
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-24-15 10:43 AM
    Am Flabbergasted...lol

jtvberry
    lol, yeah I do that to people (not) ahahha lmao

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 02-24-15 at 11:23 AM.
    jtv1 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    02-24-15 11:10 AM
    Browser crashes on 10.3.1.1581 OS.
    I upgraded via Wifi free up memory to 4G. I have tried all the browser settings possibilities. Some examples : I would open a webpage, then tap on a link within the webpage and it crashes to a active frame. I would share a Web link to an email or remember App write a message in the email or title the Remember note and boom it crashes to a active frame. It's basically unusable. Some apps do not work with 10.3.1 eg Swift Notes. is this because of Flash ?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 06:17 AM
    I think removing Flash was a very Big mistake. The last thing BlackBerry needs in the press is the browser sucks! Actually my 10.2.1 browser was a awesome very smooth and productive.
    It's called options folks !!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 06:21 AM
    Although I am not a fan of either Apple of Steve Jobs, here is what Jobs had to say about Flash back in 2010. What he says makes sense: Thoughts on Flash
    03-01-15 06:45 AM
    Blackberry took it away. If flash was on the phones, then taken off in the next update, then it was Blackberry that took it away. Flash still works so there was no reason to take them off the phones. When Flash is no longer needed for anything, then you take it away, not before.
    You guys are funny. Flash is a security liability and BlackBerry and the other vendors do well to not allow it on their systems. Flash for mobile won't be developed anymore if I'm correctly informed and as such every exploit that will be found is another attack vector that will be persistent on all mobiles. You praise BlackBerry for secure phones but then when they do something for security that takes away a feature you start whining.

Posted via CB10
    velkod and anon(9188202) like this.
    03-01-15 09:28 AM
    You guys are funny. Flash is a security liability and BlackBerry and the other vendors do well to not allow it on their systems. Flash for mobile won't be developed anymore if I'm correctly informed and as such every exploit that will be found is another attack vector that will be persistent on all mobiles. You praise BlackBerry for secure phones but then when they do something for security that takes away a feature you start whining.

Posted via CB10
    Irony:

HTML5 is the biggest security risk imaginable on BlackBerry. Any app using web views can have JS streamed into an application to do anything the app can from accessing contacts to modifying files. Yet with Flash, the real horrific fear, is that maybe one day it will potentially have an exploit that surpasses security of a locked down sandboxed OS and custom targets 1 percent of mobile users.

What's really funny is how quickly people buy into media statements and then try to champion them through without really looking at situation.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    jtv1, darkehawke and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-01-15 02:57 PM
    Irony:

HTML5 is the biggest security risk imaginable on BlackBerry. Any app using web views can have JS streamed into an application to do anything the app can from accessing contacts to modifying files. Yet with Flash, the real horrific fear, is that maybe one day it will potentially have an exploit that surpasses security of a locked down sandboxed OS and custom targets 1 percent of mobile users.

What's really funny is how quickly people buy into media statements and then try to champion them through without really looking at situation.

I would really like to know a lot more about this.
    Because I noticed, no one has spoken about the security of HTML as much as they talked about Adobe.

I have found this rather unfair, and is a direction of unfinished business.

jtvberry
    03-01-15 08:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    There didn't seem to be a risk with flash on BB phones before now. I downloaded the Dolphin browser and in order to get it to work with flash, I had to download flash separately. Now I get popups every time I use the Dolphin browser with flash. I had no problem with popups with the native blackberry browser with flash. I deleted the Dolphin browser and am back to using the native browser. I will not update my phone because of no flash in the new update. I need flash for what I do with my phone.
    jtv1 likes this.
    03-02-15 09:16 AM
    There didn't seem to be a risk with flash on BB phones before now. I downloaded the Dolphin browser and in order to get it to work with flash, I had to download flash separately. Now I get popups every time I use the Dolphin browser with flash. I had no problem with popups with the native blackberry browser with flash. I deleted the Dolphin browser and am back to using the native browser. I will not update my phone because of no flash in the new update. I need flash for what I do with my phone.
    I think photon browser still has flash. I am not sure how well it works tho.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.2480
    jtv1 likes this.
    03-02-15 12:34 PM
    Yes, Photon has flash, but it doesn't even work as well as the Dolphin browser.
    jtv1 likes this.
    03-02-15 01:24 PM
    Yes, Photon has flash, but it doesn't even work as well as the Dolphin browser.
    Ok. Good to know

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.2480
    jtv1 likes this.
    03-02-15 02:25 PM
    I think removing Flash was a very Big mistake. The last thing BlackBerry needs in the press is the browser sucks! Actually my 10.2.1 browser was a awesome very smooth and productive.
    It's called options folks !!!!!

Posted via CB10
    I don't think there's any worry about bad press when it comes to the BB10 Browser and the lack of Flash. None of the other major mobile browsers support it anymore either (and iOS never did). The only browsers that support Flash anymore are 3rd party browsers, but they'll likely never be much more than niche products, and eventually they'll dump Flash support too.

Penned via Tapatalk
    03-02-15 02:36 PM
    Kind of annoying today. Kanye released a new song and I wanted to preview it and I couldn't anywhere. Ugh
    03-02-15 08:05 PM
    Irony:

I don't know that much about HTML5, but these are different concerns, flash has been shown to be vulnerable again and again and it will not be developed further. Even if HTML5 has issues, this does not change that flash is a security problem and that it's good that flash is gone.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 09:27 AM
    I don't know that much about HTML5, but these are different concerns, flash has been shown to be vulnerable again and again and it will not be developed further. Even if HTML5 has issues, this does not change that flash is a security problem and that it's good that flash is gone.

Posted via CB10
    They aren't different. Flash exploits allowed web hijacking of the browser by modifying PC's host file and DNS entry. Something the BlackBerry OS blocks. The other exploit that hit them downloaded an executable - which cannot execute on your phone. There is nothing Flash can do to your phone that HTML5 JS can't do to your phone far, far easier. And no exploit exists or will ever exist for Flash that can't exist for every other app on your phone.

HTML5/JS, allows them complete access to everything on your phone through JS files. And they can do any application actions that the app itself can do. There is no patching it, that activity is by-design.

I'm just saying, the security excuse is just that, an excuse with no real merit. BBRY removed Flash because they didn't want to pay their yearly licensing fee to Adobe. The same reason you can still build AIR apps for Android and iOS - which is supported by the way by Apple, Google and Adobe. It was BBRY wanting to save money, nothing more.

jtv1 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-03-15 10:11 AM
    No; Flash has gone from the settings, but I think if the website your using for live stream vid +vids uses HTLM, then you may see your vids.
    Correct me if am wrong anyone!!!
    03-03-15 11:23 AM
    They aren't different. Flash exploits allowed web hijacking of the browser by modifying PC's host file and DNS entry. Something the BlackBerry OS blocks. The other exploit that hit them downloaded an executable - which cannot execute on your phone. There is nothing Flash can do to your phone that HTML5 JS can't do to your phone far, far easier. And no exploit exists or will ever exist for Flash that can't exist for every other app on your phone.

HTML5/JS, allows them complete access to everything on your phone through JS files. And they can do any application actions that the app itself can do. There is no patching it, that activity is by-design.

I'm just saying, the security excuse is just that, an excuse with no real merit. BBRY removed Flash because they didn't want to pay their yearly licensing fee to Adobe. The same reason you can still build AIR apps for Android and iOS - which is supported by the way by Apple, Google and Adobe. It was BBRY wanting to save money, nothing more.

This now seems more of a bigger security hole using HTML than ever before.
    03-03-15 11:28 AM

Again, vulnerabilities that exist in HTML5 still don't make it a bad choice to disallow flash. Flash had more exploits than just those you mentioned, especially remote code execution flaws. If you are talking about using flash for apps and not in the browser, the problem is on another level, namely trusting the app developer. The problem with flash is exploitability from the browser in my eyes, and if HTML5 is as vulnerable there, then that is bad too, but as said, doesn't make it less good that flash is gone.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 12:43 PM
    Again, vulnerabilities that exist in HTML5 still don't make it a bad choice to disallow flash. Flash had more exploits than just those you mentioned, especially remote code execution flaws. If you are talking about using flash for apps and not in the browser, the problem is on another level, namely trusting the app developer. The problem with flash is exploitability from the browser in my eyes, and if HTML5 is as vulnerable there, then that is bad too, but as said, doesn't make it less good that flash is gone.

Posted via CB10
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't those flash exploits you speak off have to be reliant on the os?
    In which case it would have to be someone very bored with no sense of purpose to specifically target bb10

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    KermEd, MarsupilamiX and jtv1 like this.
    03-03-15 01:18 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't those flash exploits you speak off have to be reliant on the os?
    In which case it would have to be someone very bored with no sense of purpose to specifically target bb10

Yeah, On bbry, Flash has always been sandboxed. Moreover, they had been building and updating the code themselves while paying a licensing and extended support fees to Adobe - it was a zero risk item for BlackBerry IMO. Not saying it didn't need to go but...

If someone wants to target BB10, they can just release a free Cascades or Android app for BBRY and just fill it with data mining and remote execution scripts. It wouldn't be the first BB10 app to do so - but the last one I found was being endorsed by BBRY themselves so... what can you do.

jtv1 likes this.
    03-04-15 12:06 AM

No, you are correct, but since BlackBerry is striving to be a secure platform also for businesses, there might be enough money in it that it justifies the development of a BlackBerry specific exploit using flash.

About apps, as I said, for me, the issue there is that you got to trust the app developer. Flash isn't going to be the major problem in apps, as you are basically allowing code execution when you install an app.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 06:48 AM
    Ios uses java, can we use that one? Is that lore or less secure?
    03-04-15 02:16 PM
    Irony:

Javascript is a nightmare, always has been...
    Agreed. :-)

(I'm using script blockers on my laptops / desktops)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-04-15 05:13 PM
104 ... 2345