First of a big thanks to all of the users of the Crackberry Forums. They have been my saving grace as I am a first generation BlackBerry user.

I was able to successfully setup my wifi at my house and at my place of work. When ever I walk into my house my phone very quickly changes over to UMA. And it worked the first day at work when I set it up. I walked in the next day and nothing, wifi symbol is grayed out and I was not able to connect via UMA. I searched the forums and found out that I could remedy the problem by pulling my battery. That worked great. But when I walked into work the next day, the same thing happened. But I pulled the battery and then once it booted back up it works great. I am having to do this ever morning when I get to work for UMA to work.

Is there a solution to this or a step that I am missing? Or a glitch somewhere?

Thanks, Dave

Curve 8900
    05-17-09 04:29 PM
    Instead of doing a battery pull, just try going in to manage connections, then turn off Wi-Fi, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. This should alleviate your problem.
    05-17-09 04:31 PM
    I have similar issues with wifi at home. My phone can find the signal, but the router won't let me back on after a few days of successful connections. Retsrting wifi, and pulling the battery do nothing for me, I have to go back through setup using pushbutton securoty with my router.
    I have been wondering if anyone else has similar issues in secure environments? My phone finds wifi and starts uma In every open network it is registered on without fail. It is the secure networks that give it trouble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 04:58 PM
    I have found that normally this is a router issue the first few times. What I have done to fix this is unplug the router and modem from the wall and then plug it back in, you may need to do this a few times then it should be good to go forever.
    05-17-09 05:04 PM
    IMHO this is a bug in the BlackBerry terminal software. I have been experiencing the same thing over two months now (since I got my 8900). WiFi always connects fine for data (white WiFi icon), but has issues connecting for voice (UMA). Battery pull or disabling / enabling connections manually fixes that but really the phone should try to reconnect to UMA even if it fails for some reason for the first time.
    05-17-09 11:55 PM
    Its a bug with newer routers. I have found that older routers work MUCH better wit thte 8900. This is from my own experience. When I say older, ones that are 3+ years with standard wep are bulletproof, always connect, and never need a reboot.

05-18-09 05:13 AM
    Its a bug with newer routers. I have found that older routers work MUCH better wit thte 8900. This is from my own experience. When I say older, ones that are 3+ years with standard wep are bulletproof, always connect, and never need a reboot.

I remember having read that routers that support wireless G are much more stable in this regard. Something to consider when I get a new router for my workplace

05-18-09 08:35 AM
    New router or old router makes no difference at all. Even new draft N and N routers are backward compatible with the G spec so to say it's a router issue is non-sense. I have an old and a new router and have no problems with either one. 99.9% of the time it comes down to how the router and phone are configured. WPA2-Personal provides the best security and encryption for your phone and the data traffic going over it. The connection can depend on so many factors, and I'll name but a few:

Other Radio frequency emitting devices such as a cordless phone, a microwave oven, an HD antenna for your HDTV, broadband equipment in the area, neighbors and their electronics...etc etc.

Another possibility is your ISP. Some ISP's don't like to allow VoIP over their network. Some cable companies have blocked Vonage VoIP traffic over their network, and UMA operates much like Vonage in this regard. So really there are so many factors that come in to play with UMA. That's why some people connect at work or home easily, but not at work or home for others. Your work router and network might not allow VoIP traffic and at home it's up to you and your ISP.

But to jump to conclusions and blame a router or the phone is premature. Do your homework about your home and work network and provider. Check your router and phone configuration. When you can rule out everything else, then blame your router or phone.

You can also check out the UMA setup link in my sig for some help.
    05-18-09 01:48 PM
    So of course my wifi is now connecting as soon as I come into range on any of the networks that my phone is setup on. And shortly there after UMA comes up.

The one time that it didn't I turned off wifi and turned it right back on and wifi and UMA popped right up.

Thanks for the info.
    05-19-09 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD