Just got two new Curve 8320's from T-Mobile -- one for me, the other for the wife.

Love the UMA/@Home feature. Was working great on my phone, until I setup Wi-Fi on the wife's. Now hers gets UMA and mine doesn't (EDGE) when we're both in the house. When she leaves, UMA comes back on my phone... until she gets back home.

Wi-Fi itself is working fine on my phone. In my BB's status, I get UMA error code "w006.3" and "ISP or T-Mobile network error".

Based on my observations, it seems only one can exist per Wi-Fi connection. I would think a hard-limit of one would make it hard to use at public hotspots, so maybe it is something specific to my setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    CM7
    02-16-09 06:21 PM
    It could be your router. It appears from looking at my Netscreen's traffic logs that a VPN tunnel is created between the BB and a T-Mo server. Your router may not be able to support more than one VPN connection from yout LAN at a time.
    02-17-09 07:24 AM
    Thanks dervari -- I'll check to see if my router has a limit. The actual router to the internet is an older wired-ethernet unit, so that could well be the case (and might give me a good excuse to upgrade it...).

I'll post back with what I find.

I would guess that my wife's phone is 'favored' because of a simple priority scheme it might implement. Maybe based on a higher/lower MAC address or something...

-CM7
    02-17-09 01:39 PM
    What make/model router do you currently have?

You know, after thinking about it your router may have an issue with two IPSec tunnels terminating at the (presumably) same endpoint on T-Mo's end.
    02-17-09 07:16 PM
    The router interfacing to my ISP is a Network Everywhere NR041. A bit dated, I know, but has performed well -- possibly until now. No firmware updates past my version available...

I have a couple of wireless routers (one Linksys WRT54G V8 and a Netgear), which are currently just used as access points (DHCP off, WAN port not connected). I thought I'd temporarily switch one over to be the WAN interface to see if it makes a difference.

In reading up on newer routers, they don't seem to specify the number of VPN tunnels that can be used simultaneously. Some of the special 'VPN' models (like Linksys) support two, but I'm not sure if I really need these models or not.

If anyone knows of a wired router that supports more than one VPN connection, please let me know. I prefer wired for my WAN interface since it sits in a metal enclosure. I suppose I could use a wireless model and disable/not use the wireless part though...

Thanks,
    CM7
    02-17-09 08:06 PM
    Metal enclosure not a problem. Just get a long antenna cable off eBay and mount the WiFi antenna wherever you want. I did that for a wireless router in my basement. 25' cable snakes to a 1st floor closet so I have the antenna there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 11:47 AM
    This evening I checked my and my wife's 8220's. We both had UMA over our WiFi router, a four year old WRTP54G VoIP router from Vonage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 11:08 PM
    Most routers these days will to multiple IPSec tunnels ok as long as the firmware is relatively up to date.
    02-20-09 07:51 AM
    Looks like this is solved now. Removed the old wired router over the weekend and set up the Linksys router. It showed the same problem until...

I saw a suggestion to reboot the router on the blackberry.com forums. Unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. All of a sudden, both phones are on UMA -- even made calls from one to the other in this state. (I went back and checked with the old router -- no similar luck)

Not sure if it will stay this way. It's late at night now, so haven't had a chance to move out of range and back in to see if things stay stable.

hubermania, wish I had a detachable antenna model. Newer WRT54G's, like my V8, aren't removable. For now, I have the cover of my box off and seems to be ok. Will figure something out long-term...

-CM7
    02-24-09 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD