So I was just reading reviews of the 9700, and it talks about UMA. So from what I understand, if I have wifi in my room, that acts like a cell tower, so I should have flawless reception anywhere I can get a wifi signal? Is this a feature unique to the 9700 so far? I'm on Verizon and am hating my reception in my dorm, and I heard ATT is better where i'm at, plus with this thrown in, it would be worth the ETF. Thanks!
    11-15-09 11:56 PM
    AT&T doesnt offer UMA support. t-mobile, however, does.
    11-16-09 01:11 AM
    This feature is unique with Tmobile. I have it on my 8900. Once you connect to a wireless device (router) then the internet is faster as well as the voice part being more reliable. It works great. Once u connect it should automatically save that router, so when u leave and come back , it will automatically log back in to it!
    11-16-09 01:31 AM
    Does Verizon support it? And if so, do any of their current, or soon to be released models offer it?
    11-16-09 01:44 AM
    Does Verizon support it? And if so, do any of their current, or soon to be released models offer it?
    No, T-Mobile is the only US carrier that offers UMA. UMA is dependant on both the device and carrier.
    11-16-09 02:23 AM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) provides an alternate path for voice and data services.

There are several BlackBerry models that support both Wifi and UMA.

8120 Pearl
    8220 Pearl
    8320 Curve
    8900 Curve

The common factor, all of them are GSM cellular devices.

The other BlackBerry model that supports Wifi is 9000 Bold. It does not support UMA, even when used on Rogers, a Canadian UMA enabled carrier. Wifi is only used to supplement the data connection.

The key question is, will Verizon (CDMA) support UMA?

So far, I have no information that indicates they will. (Google)
    11-16-09 10:01 AM
    So if you get an unlocked T-Mobile phone and use it on AT&T do you lose UMA or does it still work?

I will be doing a lot of over seas traveling in the near future and if I could just use UMA to call when I'm over seas it would save a ton of money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 08:00 AM
    So if you get an unlocked T-Mobile phone and use it on AT&T do you lose UMA or does it still work?

I will be doing a lot of over seas traveling in the near future and if I could just use UMA to call when I'm over seas it would save a ton of money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Will not work
    11-17-09 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD