So I've got the hotspot at home service. I can use all day long on UMA with no problems. I can talk all day long on EDGE with no problems. The problem comes in when I'm talking and walk/drive out of range of my router.

My friend has the new pearl and he can hand off with no problems. I thought this was a shortcoming of 4.2 so I upgraded to the beta 4.5.

My question is. Does anyone else have this problem with their 8320 or is it just me?

I am using my own router. It's the same model as the one they say you have to buy. However, like I said. My friend can handoff with no problems on my router.
    08-28-08 05:35 PM
    Make sure the options for the wifi network you are connected to has inter-access point handover checked.
    08-28-08 05:40 PM
    Did not know that. It was not checked so I checked it and I will test this evening when I head out for dinner.
    08-28-08 06:04 PM
    I do not have inter-access point handover enabled on mine and the transition from EDGE to UMA is seamless

I think the inter-access point handover is mainly used for a robust network with multiple APs having the same SSID for the network. I do not think it would be necessary for a single home router... but it would not hurt to try
    08-28-08 06:18 PM
    I'd have to agree. Although I'm still going to try.
    08-28-08 06:20 PM
    I am a newbie so please bare with me...

I have spent the better part of 5-6 hours on the phone with T-Mobile. I have three wifi capable phones (2- BB and 1- Samsung). I am able to connect to the UMA on two of the phones and unable on one of the Blackberry's. I have the hot-spot service which is great if the phone coonects to the UMA. Has anyone had any issues with this as T-Mobile does not have any answers for me!
    I was ablke to go to a T-Mobile store and connect to their UMA. IDEAS? Solutions?
    08-30-08 04:10 PM
    "Make sure the options for the wifi network you are connected to has inter-access point handover checked." How do you do this? Is this in a setup menu on a wireless router or on the blackberry phone itself?
    09-17-08 11:37 PM
    Check out the "Complete WiFi How-To" in the "blackberry, Tips, How To & FAQ" section.

I followed that guide and my UMA-Edge handoff works flawlessly.
    09-18-08 11:10 AM
    I'm having the same problem in the UK, If i've understood you properly. Mine struggles to log back onto the cellular network once its been on my UMA. I've got 4.5 and it still isn't much better. but... worth it for being able to use UMA. I just restart the connections on the blackberry and it logs back onto the cellular network but its a bit annoying.
    09-22-08 11:14 AM
    So I've got the hotspot at home service. I can use all day long on UMA with no problems. I can talk all day long on EDGE with no problems. The problem comes in when I'm talking and walk/drive out of range of my router.

My friend has the new pearl and he can hand off with no problems. I thought this was a shortcoming of 4.2 so I upgraded to the beta 4.5.

My question is. Does anyone else have this problem with their 8320 or is it just me?

I am using my own router. It's the same model as the one they say you have to buy. However, like I said. My friend can handoff with no problems on my router.

I have this problem and did a write up on it in the T-mo section (I have to find the post), but yeah EDGE to UMA = Seamless.... UMA to EDGE = Dropped call. I have been working with tmo on it but I have not seen anything changing yet.

Edit: Found my post... http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/dropped-calls-62487/
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 09-26-08 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Adding info.
    09-26-08 09:19 AM
    I upgraded to 4.5 and the call drops going from UMA to cell. I just upgraded to the latest release and that hasn't helped either.
    10-13-08 02:57 AM
    So i'm having problems sending and receiving calls on UMA... people have been trying to call me and are getting "caller is outside the network" and many other t-mobile messages, but it won't forward to my voicemail or make my phone ring... Sometimes when trying to call on UMA, I'll get sometimes 2 rings then get what sounds like a busy signal with a "call failed" message being displayed on my screen. Could it be my internet's too slow? I have no idea and neither does T-Mobile so please help... I need to be able to receive calls!!!
    10-14-08 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD