Hey peeps !

I'm trying to use my unlocked Orange UK 8120 with my Orange France prepaid card so I can UMA without roaming charges around the world, each time I have wiped BB & removed Vendor file from 5 different OS & I always get the Blackberry Welcome from Orange UK text message when I 1st boot up with a new OS ? Am I not wiping something ? What am I missing ?

Now on Indosat latest OS but still wifi/UMA does not work with Orange France sim - sim & a/c have Unik ( Orange Fr name for UMA service ) activated and usable in a UMA 3G Samsung P270 ( except you cant switch network off ! ) but if I put in my Orange UK sim wifi/UMA works, if the Orange Fr sim is in there I cannot even use wifi let alone UMA ???

Is the UMA chip or somewhere outside the OS I am loading hardcoded to Orange UK and no amount of OS changes will help?

Any suggestions ?

Merci
    Last edited by Orange UK; 05-01-09 at 08:53 AM.
    05-01-09 08:40 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

When you unlock a BlackBerry, you can use it with other carriers SIM cards, but the device remains branded by the original carrier. There is no way to remove the carrier's startup screen.

It does not matter which carriers OS you use, it installs on top of the fixed brand.

Now for the bad news. Unlicensed Mobile Access depends on the carrier having the infrastructure to support it. Orange UK does support UMA, but only on the Orange UK branded phones.

In order for UMA to work, there must be a server listening to the Wifi heart beat of their devices. If the device in not in the database, no UMA.

You can still use with Wifi, but only the Hotspot Browser will function.
    05-01-09 09:18 AM
    Thanks Reed ! as I thought - spoke to Orange UK about it before & now came back checking on here......

Change of rom/bios to Orange France is needed......the UMA files in the rom/bios must corrospond to the sim/network that supports UMA, now how the **** do I get BB to help me with that ?

I took an early upgrade so still have warranty until July 09 on the old Pearl but Orange UK say they cant change the rom to O France....BB send them out with UMA configured & update the OS, Orange France wont touch the rom/bios as its under Orange UK warranty.

Surely a network unlocking a handset means a FULL unlock ? UMA will work with Orange France except its locked down to Orange UK.....thats not a unlocked handset !

Any advise where I should fire off an email to BB ?
    Last edited by Orange UK; 05-01-09 at 02:03 PM.
    05-01-09 02:00 PM
    Reed McLay's information is extremely incorrect. It's definitely possible to change device branding, and, in any case, phone branding has almost nothing to do with UMA.

To do what you want to do, you'll need to create a UMA profile for Orange France on your Orange UK handset. Creating the profile itself isn't difficult: access your device engineering screens, go into Mobile Network Engineering Screens>Utilities>Session Manager, press the menu button, select UMA, press the menu button, select New. That will enable filling in the UMA protocol version, UNC address, SEGW address, and the SEGW certificate (which is all the device needs to connect to your provider's UMA). After you create the profile, you can select it from the list (there will be a factory provisioning for the Orange UK settings) to switch UMA profiles.

The hard part for you will be getting the UMA profile settings for Orange France. UMA protocol versions are usually 1.0.3 or later on modern production networks, but you'll still need the UNC/SEGW addresses.

If you know someone on Orange France who has a BlackBerry device, you can view the UMA profile provisioning on their device by accessing the same engineering screen as you do to create new profiles. CSRs tend to be useless.

Good luck.
    05-01-09 02:18 PM
    Thanks Thyth !

seen that for T-Mob US

Use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | BlackBerry Rocks!

My buddy Troy over at BlackBerry News let me know about a pretty cool guide on how to use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile.

Normally, cell phones on a network are locked to that network. If you get a BlackBerry Bold, unlock it and would like to use its UMA capabilities on T-Mobile, now you can.

Check out the steps for how to do this after the jump. If you aren’t comfortable with making changes like this to your BlackBerry then you should not try this. Let me know how it works out for you in the comments.

This will work with any UMA enabled device. Make sure you enter your PIN in ALL CAPS and enter the application number with the parentheses.

1. On your BlackBerry, you need to download and install two T-Mobile certificates using these two links:

http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc...obile_root.der
    http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc.../trustcert.der

2. You need to get into the EScreen. On your blackberry press and hold ALT CAPS and letter H DO NOT EXIT THIS SCREEN, the code generated is based on the uptime you enter.

3. Using your computer go to:

https://www.blackberry.com/EngineeringScreens/

4. Username: tmussales Password: TMUSsales

5. Enter the information from your blackberry on the computer EXACTLY as it appears. First Name and Last Name can be anything. For model number just pick 8300.

6. Don’t use GPS option or Zip code options.

7. You will receive an 8 digit unlock code.

8. On your blackberry and without leaving the screen that displays the information enter the code. For numbers press and hold the ALT key and for letters enter them directly without worrying about capitalizing the letters.

9. At the EScreen select <Mobile Network Engineering Screens>

10. Select <Utilities>

11. Select <Session Manager>

12. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <UMA Options>

13. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <New>

14. Enter the following: Display Name: T-Mobile Operator Name: T-Mobile UMA Protocol version: 1.0.3

15. Unselect <use default UNCS> and enter punc.t-mobileuncs.com use Port: 14001

16. Unselect <use default SEGW> and enter psgw.t-mobilesgws.com

17. Select the SEGW certificate named T-Mobile USA, inv. Engineering and Operations CA

18. You are all set.
    05-01-09 11:04 PM
    Reed McLay's information is extremely incorrect. ...

Good luck.
    Thanks for the content, this is a learning experience for all of us.

Thyth has also provided access to the Engineering Screen:

... no longer available

I have followed Thyth's instructions and can confirm they are correct.

I have a T-Mobile Curve that does not go UMA active when my enabled SIM is installed. I have created a new record from the information on my Rogers Pearl.

One last detail, the SEGW certificate for Rogers is not present. If I understand correctly, the certificates are available at Mobile.blackberry.com:

Code:
    http://mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/t-mobile_root.der
    http://mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/trustcert.der
    These are the T-Mobile specific files. My best guess was .../rogers_root.der, but that's a 404, not found error.

05-01-09 11:11 PM
    You'd be best off extracting the relevant certificates from a Roger's device.
    05-02-09 12:36 PM

Success. It can be done.

The final step was accomplished using Advanced Restore. The Object device Handheld Keystore contains the security keys. Copy that to a file.

Switch devices, open the file and restore it to the target device.

The certificate status is Untrusted Cert Chain, it shows a red X in place of the normal green check mark.

Thank you again for the information. I am very pleased.
    05-02-09 01:59 PM
    You can export the certificates selectively in Options>Security Options>Certificates, by selecting a certificate, pressing menu, and there's an option to send by email or PIN.

Do you want to post the UMA profile settings you used?

Glad you got it working.
    05-02-09 02:07 PM
    Rogers

Display name: Factory Provisioning
    Operator name:
    UMA protocol version UMA v. 1.0.4
    Provisioning UNC address: hbsc.uma.rogers.com
    Provisioning UNC port: 14001
    Provisioning SEGW address: segw.uma.rogers.com
    SEGW certificate: ca.rogers.com

T-Mobile

Display name: Factory Provisioning
    Operator name:
    UMA protocol version: UMA v1.0.3
    Provisioning UNC address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com
    Provisioning UNC port: 14001
    Provisioning SEGW address: psgw.t-mobilesgws.com
    SEGW certificate: T-Mobile USA, Inc Engineering ...
    These are the settings required for Rogers (UMA) and T-Mobile USA.

Good call on the single certificate, I will restore and try that too.
    jasmeet9sb likes this.
    05-02-09 02:13 PM
    I wonder if this issue would work across the board with unlocked BB 8900s using different carriers?.........
    05-07-09 07:01 PM
    Thanks for the guides, got it running UMA on my non-TMo curve 8900, sweeEEEEEEEET!!!
    05-12-09 07:00 AM
    have used my phone on wifi onlyfrom the USA and Ireland and to English mobiles in Poland and Spain from the UK, USA with no roaming charges just comes out of your normal minutes
    05-12-09 10:43 AM
    Has anyone noticed this working weirdly on the 8900?

I have a Rogers 8900 on US t-mobile, got it all set up and have UMA working, but have noticed a problem. I set the UMA protocol version as version 1.0.3, and everything works fine, but when I restart my BB, which inevitably needs to happen now and again, it changes this to v 1.0.4 and I then find UMA to be flaky and disconnecting often.

Now I can go into the engineering screen again and change it back each time, but this is a pain. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening or how to fix it?
    Last edited by revolutionGTO; 05-27-09 at 03:54 PM.
    05-27-09 03:47 PM
    Did you edit the factory provisioning, or did you create a new UMA profile and switch to it?

It's possible that factory provisioned profile has some of the settings in a more persistent storage (I remember seeing code to insert UMA profiles for the 3 major UMA carriers while analyzing OS code).

A new profile might be more reliable.
    05-27-09 04:27 PM
    I did create a new profile. The new profile is what keeps changing from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 after a reset.

When I noticed this happening to the profile I created, I tried editing and using the factory profile, but that reverts to default on startup so no go there.

EDIT: I also tried making another new profile but it still not working correctly, it keeps reverting to 1.0.4 after reset. Maybe this is happening because the Rogers default is 1.0.4?
    Last edited by revolutionGTO; 05-27-09 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more information
    05-27-09 04:46 PM
    Possibly. I'd suggest rebranding if it were possible on the 8900.
    05-27-09 06:50 PM
    Hmm well another oddity. Seems if I turn off the Mobile Network radio, and just leave Wi-Fi on, UMA stays on and connected on 1.0.4 and doesn't drop off and out. So I guess I can always turn off the radio when I know I won't be getting a signal, or need to make a quick call out when I don't have a signal.

Not ideal, but I really just wanted UMA for backup when I don't have an edge signal but do have wifi.
    05-27-09 08:13 PM
    These are the settings required for Rogers (UMA) and T-Mobile USA.

Good call on the single certificate, I will restore and try that too.
    How do I get the SEGW certificate "ca.rogers.com"? It's not in the list and I'm using the latest rogers software. BTW this is an unlocked AT&T.
    06-09-09 08:45 PM
    Got it going! Thanks
    06-12-09 03:34 PM
    Have you managed to get the UMA settings for Orange France ? I can find them , and no friends with an Orange France blackberry to look at.

I you get them , can you share ?
    07-13-09 11:10 AM
    Where can I get the SEGW certificate "ca.rogers.com"? I seem to be stuck there. The T-mobile certs are giving me a 404 error on my BB. Any help would be appreciated.
    07-13-09 05:03 PM
    I know this has been talked about, but if you have ALL the required pieces, can you make it work with an unlocked Bold on T-Mobile?
    07-16-09 11:24 AM
    t-mobile_root.der
    trustcert.der

Are no longer available via the popular links. Does anyone have a copy of them of know of another good link to them?

Thanks,

X
    08-01-09 05:54 PM
    NM I found them. Heres a copy if anyone else needs them. Ill host them on my media fire account as long as they let me.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

X
    08-01-09 10:12 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD