I dont subscribe to the HotSpot service. I do have wifi at home. When I make a call at home on my cell it says UMA but I am gettting charged minutes for the call. Should I be? Thanks to all!!
    05-06-09 10:56 PM
    Yes. If you do not pay the 9.99 hotspot at home plan then UMA calls take from your plan minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 10:58 PM
    Yup. You will be billed unless you pay for the service. I went through 4 t-mobile reps and 2 blackberry support techs to get a solid answer.
    Apparently since its a call placed over wifi SOME calls may not be billed if they originated during UMA, but if the UMA signal changes then you would automatically begin getting charged. With the paid hotspot service it covers any UMA calls as long as the call originates in UMA, whether the signal changes during the call or not.
    This is what the bb techs explained to me.

05-06-09 11:41 PM
    What if you turn off the network connection and just had WiFi on?
    05-07-09 01:40 AM
    Be careful with the UMA. I wouldn't depend on it...
    What makes you say that? UMA has been proven to be extremely dependable for me.

05-07-09 01:55 AM
    What if you turn off the network connection and just had WiFi on?
    Guess what? It will still work!
    You can still able to make calls, SMS, email (assuming you have BB data plan), as long as your Tmobile SIM card is inside, doesn't matter you turn off the mobile radio or not.
    05-07-09 04:22 PM
    I dont subscribe to the HotSpot service. I do have wifi at home. When I make a call at home on my cell it says UMA but I am gettting charged minutes for the call. Should I be? Thanks to all!!

The most useful and great feature of the UMA is OVERSEA!!!
    It will make you like you are still in the U.S. !!!!!

In oversea, as long as you connect to the Wifi, in airport, hotel or anywhere, you will not be charged of the expensive roaming or long distance charge!!! You will be deducted for the regular airtime minute if you haven't paid that 9.99, if you pay that 9.99, then the calls are FREE!!!

That will save you lots of $$$ during oversea travel.
    05-07-09 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD