i am getting a bold 9900 which supports HSPA+ which is dubbed by many carriers as 4g and was wondering with UK carriers support HSPA+
    08-10-11 02:02 PM
    Afaik, no one actually does 4g yet...

Could be wrong...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 'apollo' using Tapatalk
    08-10-11 02:06 PM
    In the US there is true 4G and its called LTE or WiMax depending on the network, but i would expect uk networks to have HSPA+ as it is a minor enhancement to 3G. It's not crucial to have, it would just be nice to have the additional feature
    08-10-11 02:09 PM
    In the US there is true 4G and its called LTE or WiMax depending on the network, but i would expect uk networks to have HSPA+ as it is a minor enhancement to 3G. It's not crucial to have, it would just be nice to have the additional feature
    Actually they're not true 4G either.
    08-10-11 04:20 PM
    So what is true 4G ? :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 04:22 PM
    So what is true 4G ? :P

Doesn't exist yet.

08-10-11 07:26 PM
    Ohh that's disappointing. So what are LTE and WiMax considered as

08-11-11 12:26 AM
    Ohh that's disappointing. So what are LTE and WiMax considered as

LTE WIMAx and HSPA+ are now called "4G" but none ever reached or even got close to what the requirements for a 4G network was.

08-11-11 01:17 AM
    what would be required of a 4G network.
    so what speeds should i expect from HSPA+
    08-11-11 03:50 AM
    ohh i just found out that there are two certified 4G networks. LTE advanced and WiMax advanced
    08-11-11 03:53 AM
    ohh i just found out that there are two certified 4G networks. LTE advanced and WiMax advanced
    Aren't those just on trial at the moment?

08-11-11 03:56 AM
    they are certified but have not been released by any carriers yet. During testing LTE advanced was able to reach download speeds of 1GB a second and upload speeds of 500 MB a second. although those wont be speeds that are very likely to be usable or provided by networks it will be a considerable improvement to current 3G or phoney 4G network speeds
    08-11-11 04:01 AM
    they are certified but have not been released by any carriers yet. During testing LTE advanced was able to reach download speeds of 1GB a second and upload speeds of 500 MB a second. although those wont be speeds that are very likely to be usable or provided by networks it will be a considerable improvement to current 3G or phoney 4G network speeds
    As I said, as far as a consumer is concerned, it doesn't exist yet so why worry about it. Probably current LTE devices won't be able to use it anyway.

08-11-11 04:08 AM
    yes i guess so ! why are the new blackberry devices being marketed by carriers as the 'first 4G blackberry's ' they aren't really. HSPA+ is a minor improvement to current 3G speeds
    08-11-11 04:12 AM
    yes i guess so ! why are the new blackberry devices being marketed by carriers as the 'first 4G blackberry's ' they aren't really. HSPA+ is a minor improvement to current 3G speeds
    Because the carriers are branding HSPA+ as 4G now.

Anyway, while HSPA+ is not that much faster then 3G or HSPA, it's also not that much slower then LTE or WIMax real life speeds.

Confused yet? Lol

08-11-11 04:19 AM
    yes. did you read the article over at engadget about the confusion that the carriers bring on their customers. it also talked about all the confusion caused by what they decide to brand as 4G.
    Which uk carriers support HSPA+ as of now ?
    08-11-11 04:22 AM
    yes. did you read the article over at engadget about the confusion that the carriers bring on their customers. it also talked about all the confusion caused by what they decide to brand as 4G.
    Which uk carriers support HSPA+ as of now ?
    I'm not sure, I know Vodafone definitely does have it.

08-11-11 04:26 AM
    And I'm going to be on vodafone for the 9900 so all is good

08-12-11 04:49 PM
    Three has it and thus probably T-Mobile since they're using the same network.
    08-19-11 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD