Hey everyone, I just got a facebook acct so I could sign up for the pin exchange. Is it the norm that you show your last name on that site? I think it's really ridiculous that there are all these "privacy" settings when all someone really needs is your last name to do some damage in your life. I want to know if you can hide your last name or is that not an option? SO far I can't figure out how to do it.
    06-07-08 11:28 PM
    Facebook isn't a place for that, ut holds everything from individual profiles to corporate company profiles. Ut is nothing like myspace which is not professional at all. You don't have anything to fear when it comes to facebook unless you're giving out account numbers and house numbers or something crazy like that but even then, you control who sees that information

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 10:53 AM
    One of the thing in facebook is you can look after the first and last name of a person you havnt seen for a while. like a classmate for example that you havent talk with for years; then you find his/her name and do a request to be able to communicate with this person and see his/her facebook. Then it is up to this person to accept you or not. So at the end you control everything.. you can kick out this person later on too... So nothing to worry about
    06-08-08 11:13 AM
    One of the thing in facebook is you can look after the first and last name of a person you havnt seen for a while. like a classmate for example that you havent talk with for years; then you find his/her name and do a request to be able to communicate with this person and see his/her facebook. Then it is up to this person to accept you or not. So at the end you control everything.. you can kick out this person later on too... So nothing to worry about
    I agree!!!!!
    06-08-08 11:24 AM
    I have found cousins I javent seen in years on facebook. Its not the same as myspace at all.

06-09-08 01:51 AM
    Facebook is a lot safer than myspace.
    06-09-08 03:06 AM
    Well, Kelly I must say that you give freely more information in your Myspace link then anyone could have access to at Facebook if you set your privacy settings correctly. Although I find it hard to believe you are 79 Try facebook for awhile. Search my email smurfy71(at)hotmail.com the results will show you what anyone not approved by you will see, if you make sure to change your privacy settings, this is the key.
    06-09-08 04:00 AM
    Plus on facebook, there are more likely to be people who has the exact name or even the same surname as u so the damage really lies on the personal info u give. If u dnt show ur email, phone or address there's nothing to worry about. I have a rare surname but I have found over 100s of people with the same name. Shocking but nothing to worry about!!

06-09-08 04:46 AM
    WOW Kelly! You look unbelievable for 79 years old!
    06-09-08 09:43 AM
    I know, I age well. Thank you lol I simply don't want my LAST NAME showing though and I don't see it give me the option to take it off so I'm just going to create a new acct. Online you meet more than just people who you used to know, you're still dealing with strangers on there.

Thanks to everyone who responded w/ helpful advise.
    06-09-08 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD