Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

Indiegogo campaign launched to fund Ubuntu OS Edge 'superphone' (Wired UK)

^This is what BB10 should have been! Thorsten keeps going on about becoming the leaders in mobile computing - where your smartphone acts as a desktop and tablet too - but so far we've seen almost nothing of this in practice. Canonical, however, are taking drastic steps now to make this happen with Ubuntu and their Edge superphone!

4GB RAM, 128GB storage, fastest processor out there, sapphire crystal display, dual LTE antennas. Admittedly Ubuntu are branding this the F1 of smartphones, to address a niche ultra-high-performance market who want to live in the future before it happens, but BlackBerry should have been on this! BB needs something DIFFERENT and AMAZING, not just a product to keep up.

If Canonical beats BB to the one-device-only future, then BB is all but destroyed. Canonical now have both a mobile and desktop OS, that can work seamlessly together, but BB only really has a mobile one, so in some ways Canonical is ahead already.

What are your guys' thoughts? Is BB thinking bigger-scale with their mobile computing platform talk? Or is it just all talk and no action from them?

I sure as hell hope not, because Edge looks awesome to me. If only it ran BB10
    kayyourcool likes this.
    07-23-13 04:47 AM
    Nothing to worry about. Still very young and gets annoying at times. And then again, I do not find BlackBerry lacking anywhere expect applications which I am speaking for other folks. I find and think let's give time to BlackBerry and hope for the best.

Proudly Z10ing. 24F40D3B
    07-23-13 05:05 AM
    BlackBerry should make BB10 open source before is too late.

There is so much money supporting Linux and Android, all these new operating system (Ubuntu, Tizen, Sailfish and Firefox) reuse that foundation for free and can concentrate their resources in building a new user experience.

An open source BB10 could ditch QNX and be ported to Linux, It could perform better with less hardware. The cost of development could be shared with OEMs and carriers.
    07-23-13 12:53 PM
    07-23-13 12:58 PM