For about 8-10 years now I've been using a smartphone of some type. With that, I've become accustomed to the keyboard correcting spelling mistakes, correcting grammar, entering punctuation, and even adding in words that I completely missed.

There are a few things to consider with this innovation:
    - human spelling gets worst
    - forgetting phones numbers and the likes get easier
    - correct punctuation and the likes are lost; the device virtually does it for you
    - correct grammar falls by the way side
    ...to name a few.

With the few items listed above, how will humans cope in about 5-10 years, with basic writing? Yeah, that thing where you use pen and paper?
    I heard a story on the BBC news the other day, about a group trying to have cursive writing completely removed from the school curriculum.

We're in for some strange times ahead, no?
    08-17-15 06:02 AM
    As a teacher, I can tell you that cursive writing HAS BEEN removed from the curriculum in our district and others nearby. Which is a big mistake. Not only is cursive faster than carving out letters but isn't it required for official documents: signing a check? signing a deed? signing a lease? etc

The dumbing down of the masses. It comes in many forms.
    Think students know how to be computer savvy? All they know is their smartphone. I am speaking of a cross-section of students that I see only. I can't say it is EVERYONE.

However, technology is making up for this. Look at Windows 10....you can scribble and handwriting recognition will translate and type for you. Use your voice on your smartphone and you can send emails, and messages. Maybe even write a novel that way. SO the question becomes: do we NEED to know the proper mechanics of and grammar to communicate? Eventually we will not.

We; you and me Ivan, are strange breeds that we will be able to do BOTH. haha

I see what you're saying Ivan and I can see some of the changes it will bring.
    08-17-15 06:18 AM
    Correct.

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.1.2576
    08-17-15 06:34 AM
    When Skynet goes online, we'll need pen and paper then
    bunky1971, kbz1960 and fkornre like this.
    08-17-15 06:41 AM
    I am not impressed when people use their smart phones for social media, photo editing and gazillion emojis. What impresses me is when someone knows how to use a scan app to convert a much needed document into pdf and email it as an attachment to me, prior to a deadline. I deal with compliance and people out on the field. It amazes me how many people do not use their phones in productive means.

Many times I have been around people asking for a pen and paper to take a phone number down. I will usually point out that they can just input it directly into their phones, which was the original intent.

There is a definite dumbing down in our society.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 07:16 AM
    I have yet to see technology correct grammar and punctuation properly. Autocorrect is more often than not a hindrance rather than help - it still doesn't recognize when a space between two words is missing, so it tries to suggest a completely inappropriate word. I have it disabled on all my devices.

The dumbing down of Gen X and Gen Y (the baby bust and the echo boom generations) began when education administrators decided that grammar rules stifled kids' creativity, and weren't important. I was one of the lucky ones - not only did my teachers think it was important to teach the structure of the language, English is not my native language, so I got an extra dose of grammar instruction. That was before political correctness forbade teachers from singling out non-English-speaking students for fear of stigmatising them.

And now even teachers don't have a good foundation in grammar. I've seen my kids' teachers use its and it's incorrectly. Could be bad autocorrect, could be just laziness, or could be genuine ignorance. Sad.

Oh, and when I have to fill out a form by hand, I write in cursive. Even when it's on my Surface tablet.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    08-17-15 07:25 AM
    I guess it's Cortana, and Windows 10 is a Trojan horse trap... ;-)

-------

Seriously, if these things are becoming so good at converting spoken words into readable, proof-read, properly punctuated text, why bother...
    That's probably what they're thinking. (Pen = power to influence)

The only problem, if you have no charge left or the power grid is down, you've got nothing, your skills and power to influence are in a device that's sitting there, useless... without a spark...

:-|

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    bunky1971 and ALToronto like this.
    08-17-15 05:45 PM
    For about 8-10 years now I've been using a smartphone of some type. With that, I've become accustomed to the keyboard correcting spelling mistakes, correcting grammar, entering punctuation, and even adding in words that I completely missed.

- forgetting phones numbers and the likes get easier
    - correct punctuation and the likes are lost; the device virtually does it for you
    - correct grammar falls by the way side
    ...to name a few.

With the few items listed above, how will humans cope in about 5-10 years, with basic writing? Yeah, that thing where you use pen and paper?
    I heard a story on the BBC news the other day, about a group trying to have cursive writing completely removed from the school curriculum.

We're in for some strange times ahead, no?
    Totally agree with you! Even I am 50 years old I have difficulty to do any more handwriting and I prefer use my PC or smartphone for almost everything.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    08-17-15 06:02 PM
    And to remember (or learn) Morse Code and CQ

Typed on some keyboard connected to the interwebs
    08-17-15 09:57 PM
    Well, it is expected and scientifically backed that brain capacity of the general public will decrease in the future, or at least shift to different core tasks, due to the rise of smart technology.

Writing is only one thing but there's a lot more than that. For example, our capability to remember things or to navigate in an unknown area.
    People get everything served by their tech tools nowadays.

How many people do you see blindly navigating through the streets with their map apps, without registering their environment. Those people would be totally lost without GPS satellites. People even forget how to drive by signposts because their navigation system tells them what to do. This goes up to the point where they move themselves into dangerous behavior because they think the tech is always right.

Technology is supposed to make people's lives easier and it does definitely do that up to a certain extent, but it will also shift our everyday lives and behavior to a different way. This will also influence the way people think and act. And definitely, it will add a lot to the tech dependency that is already existent.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 07:53 AM
    08-18-15 08:00 AM
    It's been suggested that future humans will evolve to have puny bodies and giant thumbs.
    08-18-15 08:07 AM
    As a teacher, I can tell you that cursive writing HAS BEEN removed from the curriculum in our district and others nearby. Which is a big mistake. Not only is cursive faster than carving out letters but isn't it required for official documents: signing a check? signing a deed? signing a lease? etc

The dumbing down of the masses. It comes in many forms.
    Think students know how to be computer savvy? All they know is their smartphone. I am speaking of a cross-section of students that I see only. I can't say it is EVERYONE.

However, technology is making up for this. Look at Windows 10....you can scribble and handwriting recognition will translate and type for you. Use your voice on your smartphone and you can send emails, and messages. Maybe even write a novel that way. SO the question becomes: do we NEED to know the proper mechanics of and grammar to communicate? Eventually we will not.

We; you and me Ivan, are strange breeds that we will be able to do BOTH. haha

I see what you're saying Ivan and I can see some of the changes it will bring.
    You can still learn to sign your name without learning cursive. I learned cursive in school, but I've never actually used it because most people can't read it. My grandmother writes me in cursive and I usually open the letters and call her in order to respond. My signature as an adult isn't even in cursive, it's just a bunch of scribbles that look like my name.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    08-18-15 08:31 AM
    I agree with the OP here. For myself though, I continue to practice proper grammar and punctuation, for my mother is an English teacher so it's like, second nature for me now. I usually don't have long conversations with people who don't use correct grammar. You can tell a lot about a person who doesn't take grammar seriously.

shaleem likes this.
    08-18-15 08:33 AM
    It correlates with the handwriting, too!
    Poeple with a beautiful handwriting have good written textes on their phones (with accurate puctuation).

It's all about time, though...
    You can write "Okay!" and send your message or write 'k' and hit the sending button...

It's a matter of taste, time, personality... Indiviuality...

Else, life would be boring!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    08-18-15 08:43 AM
    You can still learn to sign your name without learning cursive. I learned cursive in school, but I've never actually used it because most people can't read it. My grandmother writes me in cursive and I usually open the letters and call her in order to respond. My signature as an adult isn't even in cursive, it's just a bunch of scribbles that look like my name.

Cursive can be difficult to read as everyone's writing is different.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    08-18-15 08:44 AM
    While I agree with everything you've said, you made the grammatical error here of using a superlative instead of the comparative 'worse'...

My greatest grammatical pet peeve is the use of possessives instead of plurals. Apostrophes denote ownership, not number.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    08-18-15 09:38 AM
    Recently, I had a bizarre text chat with a friend. He told me that his wife and her friend planned to go to "Biafra". I could not figure this out (Biafra is in Nigeria. She does travel for her job, but this seemed a bit extreme). After going back and forth on this for a while, he realized that his iPhone auto-corrected his erroneous spelling of "Niagara". Confusing!

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    08-18-15 09:57 AM
    Lol worst
    Last edited by andy957; 08-19-15 at 05:36 PM.
    08-18-15 02:57 PM
    Cursive are the worst. I can't read 90% of what people write down in cursive.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-18-15 03:17 PM
    Lol worst
    But you do get his point right?

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-18-15 04:04 PM
    Yes it was just funny that there was a typo in a post about spelling and grammar, that's all.
    08-18-15 04:05 PM
    It's worse, not worst.
    Apt and not getting at you in any way.

Via Passport 
    08-18-15 04:38 PM
    Speechless...

*goes and stands facing the corner*
    shaleem and kbz1960 like this.
    08-18-15 04:43 PM
    cant spel whell

Sent via Passport!
    08-18-15 05:38 PM