Have 5 Million Android Users Fallen Victim to Malware Attack?

For as long as there has been advertising on the Internet there has been a fuzzy line dividing subterfuge and acceptable tricks to attract clicks. The problem of distinguishing between the legitimate and illegitimate now appears to have extended to smartphone apps as well.

Symantec, the world’s largest maker of computer security software, announced that it had discovered 13 apps containing a Trojan horse it called “Android.Counterclank” that could steal information from users. A number of the infected apps, it said, were available on the Android Market.

The threat was described by a number of sources including eWeek:

Symantec counts anywhere from 1 million to 5 million combined downloads of the malware, spanning 13 different application titles. Android.Counterclank is a variant of the Android.Tonclank Trojan horse. Like Tonclank, Counterclank steals information and may open a back door on Android smartphones and tablets for perpetrators to conduct other malicious actions.

However, Counterclank may also be exploited to download more files and display advertisements on mobile devices. Counterclank latches on to the main application in a package known as the “apperhand.” When that package is run, a service with the same name may be seen running on a compromised device.

However, Lookout Security, which specializes in Android devices, said that Symantec had overreacted, according to Computerworld:

“This is pretty clearly an ad[vertising] network that’s similar to other ad networks,” said Tim Wyatt, a principal engineer with Lookout, which markets a popular Android-specific security app.

Wyatt declined to identify the network he said was being used by the 13 apps — which originate from three different publishers – and that requests the permissions and exhibits the behavior Symantec dubbed malicious.

“This ad network does have the capability to enter bookmarks in your browser, which is different from other ad networks,” Wyatt continued. “But a lot of its functionality is being embedded in other apps. Part of the business model of the company that owns the ad network is to add search conducted from apps.”

Wyatt wasn’t ready to call the apps’ bookmark modifications over-the-line conduct, however, saying that Lookout is still investigating the 13 apps, as well as others that relied on different advertising networks for generating revenue for their free programs.

It seems that as long as customers prefer to download advertising-supported apps developers will continue to push the boundaries of what is acceptable to maximize their returns. If you are concerned that you may have downloaded an app that has crossed the line, Symantec has published a list of those it says are infected by Android.Counterclank.

Android "openness" comes at a price. I will stay with my BB thank you even if i do not get the same apps. Security over games imo. These are also the things that rim should use to differentiate the brand. Security for rim is always priority
    Last edited by bitek; 01-30-12 at 12:54 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-30-12 12:51 PM
    Another "Security" company posting advertisements. Big surprise. When someone other than a company that specializes in phone security comes up with some actual numbers, and not just maybe's, then I'll take it seriously.

And despite you not providing a link, the actual article lists some of the Android apps that "could" infect you. With titles like "Sexy Girl Puzzle", and "Spin and Be Millionare" (Google translate much )..I think it's safe to say the average person is "safe"..
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-30-12 01:15 PM
    i for one am happy that thet aren't talking about it. Much better to talk about your own company than to try and rubbish other companies. It's amateurish business practice at best, and usually a losing game...
    01-30-12 02:26 PM
    Also, there was a follow up that said Symantec may have jumped the gun when originally posting this story. That garbage should not have been posted here, or at least in Rumours.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-30-12 03:56 PM
    I'm also glad that RIM isn't trying to target other companies. Like Barljo said, it's poor business and it would be a losing fight that would end up hurting them in the long run.

RIM: "Your apps have viruses!!!!!!!!"

Google: "At least we have apps!!!!!!"
    01-30-12 04:49 PM
    01-30-12 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD