Hey Folks,

Is there any way to set up "mail rules" or "mail filters" on the BB for Txt Messages? Is there an app out there anywhere that might do this?

Essentially, I want every txt msg that comes in to my # to also get forwarded to an e-mail inbox. My carrier is Verizon, and I've called twice now - they can't do much to help.

Any ideas? Thanks again very much in advance!
    05-12-08 10:14 PM
    There is no way to forward TEXT messages that I know of.
    05-12-08 10:17 PM
    You can forward messages, but you can't have it done automatically. When you have a message highlighted or open, press menu and you should see a couple options pertaining to forwarding.
    05-12-08 10:21 PM
    Thanks guys, the help is much appreciated! - Addicts and geniuses giving me a no-go answer, I'm thinking I might be SOL here. Appreciate the help anyway!
    05-12-08 10:23 PM
    SoL is correct, but welcome to the Crackberry family... Hopefully the last time you feel SoL.
    05-12-08 11:08 PM
    yeah welcome anyways
    05-13-08 02:57 AM
    Trying to spy on yourself?
    05-13-08 09:16 AM
    Haha! Yeah - something like spying on myself. I've got a second line and a second phone. Wanted to spare the bb of the inevitable fate of falling in a storm drain or lake while I'm out having a few beverage or camping or hiking! Call forwarding is available through my carrier, but I would have missed my txt msgs...

Luckily, I did actually find a program that seems to meet my needs - if anyone else is interested...

Program's called WebMessenger Message Alerts, and can be found at webmessenger's site... tripleW,webmessenger dot com
    (sorry, I'd have linked it, but I'm still too much of a noob for them to let me, need 10 posts)

Essentially, it seems to work by monitoring incoming messages and then automating a "mail rule" to act on the message. I was a little nervous about it having that kind of control over my handheld, but it seems to be a reputable company. Anyway, you can set up mail rules like "If message received from Contact:JohnDoe, Forward note to:Mail Address, and Delete." You can set up rules like that for any of your inboxes or SMS. Also enables a few more customizable alerts when it comes to messages, e-mails, or calls.

I'm still rocking the trial version, free for 15 days.... but if all goes well over the next week or so I'll probably upgrade to the full for ~20 I believe.
    05-13-08 09:46 PM
    Haha! Yeah - something like spying on myself. I've got a second line and a second phone. Wanted to spare the bb of the inevitable fate of falling in a storm drain or lake while I'm out having a few beverage or camping or hiking! Call forwarding is available through my carrier, but I would have missed my txt msgs...

Luckily, I did actually find a program that seems to meet my needs - if anyone else is interested...

Program's called WebMessenger Message Alerts, and can be found at webmessenger's site... tripleW,webmessenger dot com
    (sorry, I'd have linked it, but I'm still too much of a noob for them to let me, need 10 posts)

Essentially, it seems to work by monitoring incoming messages and then automating a "mail rule" to act on the message. I was a little nervous about it having that kind of control over my handheld, but it seems to be a reputable company. Anyway, you can set up mail rules like "If message received from Contact:JohnDoe, Forward note to:Mail Address, and Delete." You can set up rules like that for any of your inboxes or SMS. Also enables a few more customizable alerts when it comes to messages, e-mails, or calls.

I'm still rocking the trial version, free for 15 days.... but if all goes well over the next week or so I'll probably upgrade to the full for ~20 I believe.
    Will this program work if your phone is totally shut off? I know its probably a stupid question. Thanks.
    06-04-08 11:39 AM
    have people send txt msgs to yournumber@vtext.com and maybe then you can auto-forward as an email via Verizon's online site?

i did find this:

how it works

but it costs money, unsure how much

Or people can just send txt msgs to your email, and no worry about forwarding :-p
    Last edited by km2783; 06-04-08 at 12:16 PM. Reason: found more stuff
    06-04-08 12:09 PM
    Hey, I haven't tested it, but I can say with quite a high degree of confidence that it will not work when your phone is off.
    The program works by monitoring your incoming messages (whether they be text or mail) and then applying a rule to the messages that you receive. (Mine is "forward to xxx-xxx-xxxx"). If your phone was off, when you turned it on with the program running it would likely apply the rule to all of the messages you received while your phone was off at the time you turn it on.

Also, just a bit of information for all those in the thread - I couldn't get the program to use my SMS outbound to forward messages. Had to use one of my e-mail accounts. Actually turned out better as I'm not charged against my txt msg total for the outbound messages.
    In other words:
    Received SMS -> Forward From email account to xxx-xxx-xxxx

Good luck to anyone working with this prog. It works actually quite well and is pretty easy.
    06-04-08 12:11 PM
    Interesting...

Alltel USED to have that option available to you if you used your account on their text messaging site. You could set up filters on your phone that if triggered, it would send the text to handset AND Email addy. I just used the filter: "If subject is not "Bob", send to handset and to email", worked perfectly.

They changed something up last year and now it only works if the text is sent via their website or from their own system like billing or text alert... Which is umm, pretty much useless...

I like the idea of that software...

After talking to them when it messed up, I thought I was the only person in their systemthat used it. haha... No one else ever complained it quit working.
    06-04-08 12:30 PM
    Is very interesting. When I started exploring all this I gave Verizon a call. Don't think they ever had their website set up to make filters and rules available. After calling though, the best they can do is exactly what it sounds like Alltel does now. Would be a helluva lot easier of I could do all this through the carrier, but for now - as long as the phone's on - 3rd party software is the way to go.
    06-04-08 12:34 PM
    Thanks...I have had similar success, in that I can only forward SMS Messages to an email address not a phone number.

Example....

(Phone 1) Recieves an SMS I can forward that text to any email address i choose, however I can not forward that SMS to another mobile number.

For some reason it has the option to forward to a # but it does not seem to work.

The Program seems to work well other than that...However, I was also nervous about granting so much access to my phone.
    06-04-08 12:37 PM
    yeah, I was actually seriously bummed Alltel screwed that up... Went through umpteen service tickets and they still have no I dea why it was working the way it did for me, since they didn't mean for it to do that! Apparently they just updated that backend software and the loophole was closed.

I was like "Geez, what reason would you only want Alltel sent texts to go to email. Thank you, you've made it useless by whatever you changed, haha..."

Ugh...

That was when cheapy phones only had ability to store 50 texts.

Would umm, still be nice now with the Blackberry's ability to sporadically DELETE ALL TEXTS!!! haha... Ive lost important stuff.... Sigh...
    06-04-08 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";