Hi guys,

I have been offered a job in Boston, for a year (Im from the UK) and will be looking to get a Blackberry while i'm over there, so i can stay in touch with family etc. Do any carriers offer just a twelve month contract?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.
    03-04-10 12:19 PM
    Yes, but you won't get much of a deal on a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 12:37 PM
    You mean I would have to pay more for the handset? Or the actual contract itself would be poor?

03-04-10 12:41 PM
    More for a handset.

03-04-10 12:49 PM
    Which carrier has the one year contract? Couldn't the OP buy a used phone on ebay to use with that plan?
    03-04-10 12:57 PM
    Sprint offers one year contract don't they?

03-04-10 01:14 PM
    Just buy your own phone and then sign up with a carrier. If you are looking for cheap service and a good phone, just get a phone that will work on T-mobile and sign up for one of their plans. They have "even more plus" plans that require no contract. Plus if your phone already works on t-mobile's network all you have to do is pay 30-40 bucks to have it unlock (if it isn't already) and then you'd be set.
    03-04-10 01:15 PM
    Yeah, your best bet is to go month-to-month with either AT&T or T-mobile.
    03-04-10 01:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I have already got a 8520, if i unlock that, and sign up to a US carrier, that will work fine? Do these month to month plans have the blackberry plan included? What sort of price?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks.
    03-04-10 01:22 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I have already got a 8520, if i unlock that, and sign up to a US carrier, that will work fine? Do these month to month plans have the blackberry plan included? What sort of price?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks.
    Unlimited talk, text and and bb data for tmobile's "even more plus" plans are 79.99. So you'll pay a little over 90 after taxes. I believe that phone would should be ok on T-mobile's network but check your carrier's frequencies vs t-mobile's. If you carrier is a GSM you should be good to go.

Here's a link below. Select the countries and find the carriers and look at the frequency. For instance, if they both are 1800, then you are good to go.

GSM Coverage Maps
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-04-10 at 01:37 PM.
    03-04-10 01:34 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated

Scorpio, I am on Orange in the UK - GSM 1800, while T-Mobile US is GSM 1900.

Does this mean that the phone will not work?
    Last edited by nick_stags; 03-05-10 at 07:18 AM.
    03-05-10 06:13 AM
    Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated

Scorpio, I am on Orange in the UK - GSM 1800, while T-Mobile US is GSM 1900.

Does this mean that the phone will not work?
    Yes it doesn't look like it will work. The good thing for you is that you can get a good blackberry for a good price that will work on T-Mobile. If you aren't worried to much about specs, you can grab a 8900 or 8520 for less than 200 bucks. It also looks like AT&T and T-mobile are roaming partners with Orange. You should give them a call and see if they can give you a good price on service while you are gone. It's more likely that you're costs will be lower to get a US carrier but it doesn't hurt to check out all your options.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-05-10 at 10:51 AM.
    03-05-10 10:47 AM
    Thanks for your reply mate, much appreciated, ill have a look around and see what my best option is.

Thanks again.
    03-05-10 11:15 AM
    Thanks for your reply mate, much appreciated, ill have a look around and see what my best option is.

Thanks again.
    Good luck

10 char
    03-05-10 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD