All,

I've seen all the complaints about VZW and the GPS being disabled, and realize there is nothing that can be done until VZW decides to do what they're planning on doing, i.e. VZNavigator.

Regardless, I've purchased a GlobalSat BT-359 and have had very good luck with it. It paired easily and the 8830 finds the puck almost immediately upon turning it on. I also downloaded TeleNav for the 8703 and it works fine on my 8830. The problem I have is that TeleNav charges $9.99 per month for their service. Does anyone know if there is a service available for a one-time charge where the maps are download locally to the Micro SD card? I had a similar service with my IPAQ years ago and would rather have that than a monthly charge.

Also, I notice a lot of people talking about Google Maps and Blackberry Maps and GPS capabilities. Unless I'm wrong and can't find how to enable it, neither application has turn-by-turn navigational capabilities. They are able to fix on your location and track you with GPS, but from what I can see, they do not provide you dynamic directions based on current location. Thoughts?

I hope this is not a faux pas, but I am going to post this in both the 8830 and the GPS forums to weight the responses. Thanks.
    07-01-07 06:22 AM
    Check out WayFinder Navigator. It is pricey at $99, but there is no monthly fee and it is the best I've found. It has great 3D maps and does turn-by-turn and automatic rerouting. It stores all of its cached map data on the SD if it can, and allows you to go to there web site and download maps to the SD card. They offer a 10 day trial at www.mywayfinder.com.

Good luck!
    07-03-07 07:19 PM
    I think that Garmin has software for the BB. I'm using Telenav on my 8300 Curve with the BT-359. I've always been a Garmin fan but I don't think that they offer a trial version. By the way, a question back to you. When you are using the GPS and the phone together can you hear the voice prompts through the phone / headset? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that so when I am using my GPS and using the phone it almost renders my GPS useless...at least it renders the voice prompts useless.
    07-04-07 03:08 PM
    Thaks for the info on Garmin and Wayfinder. I'll check them out.

About the phone quetsion, I haven't had the opportunity to check it out, but will let you know when I do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-07 10:25 PM
    Check out WayFinder Navigator. It is pricey at $99, but there is no monthly fee and it is the best I've found. It has great 3D maps and does turn-by-turn and automatic rerouting. It stores all of its cached map data on the SD if it can, and allows you to go to there web site and download maps to the SD card. They offer a 10 day trial at www.mywayfinder.com.

Good luck!
    Another person in this forum said Wayfinder 7 was sluggish. Is this the same software you reference above? If so, have you found it to be sluggish?
    07-08-07 07:52 AM
    I think that Garmin has software for the BB. I'm using Telenav on my 8300 Curve with the BT-359. I've always been a Garmin fan but I don't think that they offer a trial version. By the way, a question back to you. When you are using the GPS and the phone together can you hear the voice prompts through the phone / headset? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that so when I am using my GPS and using the phone it almost renders my GPS useless...at least it renders the voice prompts useless.
    I did come across the opportunity to test this today. I received a call today while using Telenav and it virtually closed my navigation session down. I had to restart Telenav and set up the trip again.
    07-20-07 09:34 PM
    I just bought the globalstat BT-308 and I paired it easily. In BB Maps you need to go to options an change the GPS source to your BT GPS receiver. I just got it a minute ago and haven't gone anywhere but the mailbox.

I'll let you know soon how (or if) turn by turn directions work when I drive across town. That should be in about a couple hours.
    07-30-07 06:32 PM
    The BB Maps doesn't give you turn by turn directions. You can hit find me then put in your destination address. It will draw the map with the purple line between start and end points. As you drive your position changes on the map but it's up to you to stay on the purple line. If you take a different route it won't redraw the directions for you either. You have to go through the steps all over again.
    07-30-07 08:39 PM
    I have a BT-359 gps receiver that was given to me. I do not have the CD to download the necessary files to use on my smartphone. Does anyone have any ideas as to where is can download the driver for this receiver?
    01-15-08 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD