Going out of the country and I don't want to incur any crazy charges. I understand that sending SMS costs $0.75 and no cost to receive. I plan to firewall block BIS but I was gonna leave SMS. The other option would be to turn off data alltogether, but would I still be able to receive SMS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by anjenica; 03-31-10 at 02:00 PM.
    03-31-10 01:48 PM
    Damn what country are you going to where text messages cost 75 cents?
    03-31-10 01:53 PM
    US from Canada

03-31-10 02:01 PM
    Options > Mobile Network > Data Services > Off. This will disconnect you from the data network, but you will still be able to place and recieve calls, and send and recieve texts.
    I had to do this a couple weeks ago while I was on a cruise, 50 cents to send, 5 to recieve...
    03-31-10 02:06 PM
    I don't think I'll be charged to receive, but I'll firewall all except my hubby just in case. Thanks!

03-31-10 02:28 PM
    Yes, SMS is not data. It does not rely on the data network so SMS will go through as long as voice service (ie phone) is enabled on the device.

Note the MMS messages DO use data on BlackBerry.
    03-31-10 04:57 PM
    SMS will work, but BBM and MMS will not go through.
    03-31-10 05:05 PM
    During the BIS outage a few months back, SMS was the only messages getting through. And many carriers have a Canada Roaming option that you can add if you need it. When I start delivering up there again, $2.99 a month will be worth it.

03-31-10 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD