Well, after all the crap I've talked about the droid I still decided to try one. Using it side by side by my tour. I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep this thing and if I do I'm getting rid of the tour.

Who else has went through this? I simply cannot decide. The tour I'm used to and the E-mail works a **** of a lot better. It does not come in quickly on the droid. I do like that the droid has wifi. Even with the verizon network the droid loads the webpages about 50 times faster it seems like than my BlackBerry. The youtube videos play in HD and look amazing. The digital camera is much better and so is the gps.

But it still comes down to this... It doesn't run on blackberry. I'm having a hard time typing on the screen. The pull out keyboard sucks so bad I'd rather deal with the on screen keyboard. The pull out keyboard is among the worse I've ever used. I have small hands and my right hand always feels out of place and my thumb won't reach to where it needs to. So, I go with the two on screen keyboards. It's very hard to type fast.

The droids web browsing makes me want to keep it but I feel like my BlackBerry is just loaded with more features. Mostly little things. I do enjoy a touch screen but I like to have a physical keyboard to type and as I said before I cannot get used to the physical keyboard on the droid.

Other than the keyboard I think the droid could work out for me. I like that it already syncs my google calendars and e-mail without much trouble. I just wish the e-mail was faster.

As far as apps I actually prefer the BlackBerry versions. Like the myspace and facebook app for BlackBerry and the way they alert you is much better than the droids version. Theres a lot of hype over this phone and I just had to really try one out and I am impressed with a lot of features but simply can't decide if I'm impressed enough to give up the Berry.
    01-15-10 08:02 PM
    My GMAIL comes in instantly. I'm sorry yours doesn't.

What are these extra features you are talking about? BBM?
    01-15-10 08:06 PM
    the main reason I would never get a droid is because of the keyboard
    01-15-10 08:11 PM
    I went from a Tour to a Droid and really loved it. BUT, my A.D.D. made me buy yet another phone since. It takes a bit to get used to the keyboard but you eventually do (onscreen that is)
    01-15-10 08:20 PM
    The keyboard alone made me give up the Droid. Everytime I typed, it felt so awkward and then I kept typing wrong. Drove me insane. It is a very nice phone, but the layout of it is just not for everyone.
    01-15-10 08:23 PM
    yeah, I'm not sure I can get used to the keyboard. And why even put a physical keyboard if it's going to suck that bad? I mean the thing is horrible. I pretty much have no choice but to use the on screen keyboard. If it wasn't for the web browsing I know I wouldn't keep it but man the web browsing is so much faster than the BlackBerry and the big screen makes it even better. Not to mention the Youtube Videos. Sigh... I don't know what I want to do.
    01-15-10 08:25 PM
    I love playing around with phones, but what I keep missing from my BlackBerry are the little touches. When I'm on another device and I hold down a key to capitalize a letter and it doesn't do it, I get annoyed. Or tapping space twice to put a period at the end of the sentence, or automatically capitalizing the first letter in a sentence...

If you want a better web browser, grab Opera Mini 5 beta 2, or Bolt Browser. Both are light-years better than the built-in BlackBerry one.
    01-15-10 08:32 PM
    I love playing around with phones, but what I keep missing from my BlackBerry are the little touches. When I'm on another device and I hold down a key to capitalize a letter and it doesn't do it, I get annoyed. Or tapping space twice to put a period at the end of the sentence, or automatically capitalizing the first letter in a sentence...

If you want a better web browser, grab Opera Mini 5 beta 2, or Bolt Browser. Both are light-years better than the built-in BlackBerry one.
    Yeah, I use bolt. It's better but still it's not on the same level as the droids web browsing experience. Speed and just the way it looks on that big screen.

But I think I'm taking the Droid back honestly. I just don't think I can live with it.
    01-15-10 08:37 PM
    My son just got a Droid. He loves it and after playing with it, I think it's a good phone. I like by BB better and I have some BB apps that I could not give up. If you like the bigger screen, try the Storm 2. Mine is awesome. Running hte new Opera Mini beta 5.2, the browser runs at the exact same speed as the Droids. I will say that using any virtual keyboard takes a few days to get used to, but I can type so much faster now in landscape mode than I can on a physical keyboard like the Tour has.
    01-15-10 08:44 PM
    My son just got a Droid. He loves it and after playing with it, I think it's a good phone. I like by BB better and I have some BB apps that I could not give up. If you like the bigger screen, try the Storm 2. Mine is awesome. Running hte new Opera Mini beta 5.2, the browser runs at the exact same speed as the Droids. I will say that using any virtual keyboard takes a few days to get used to, but I can type so much faster now in landscape mode than I can on a physical keyboard like the Tour has.
    I like bolt better than opera mini. Because on opera you got to zoom in on pc sites. On bolt you don't got to. You can actually already ready everything so it looks better and it's just as fast.
    01-15-10 08:48 PM
    Very true but they still have their issues. BOLT usually stops loading around the 20% loading point and Opera usually crashes. They're good for decent HTML browsing but they still don't match mobile Safari or the Android browsers.
    Funny, I've never had either issue on those browsers.

I don't deny, though, that Safari and the Android browsers are better, but for BlackBerry, Bolt and Opera Mini are the best options (which in itself speaks poorly of RIM for playing catch up in this arena for so long). Don't misunderstand me, I'm not telling the OP they're wrong or anything, just offering my thoughts. If I weren't obligated via work to own a BlackBerry (I'm the BlackBerry admin for my company), I'd probably own an Android device. That's not to say I don't like BlackBerry (I love my Bold 9700), but RIM needs to move faster in the development of their OS or be left stagnant like Windows Mobile and the old Palm OS. Android's growth is just amazing.
    01-15-10 11:03 PM
    Well, after using literally ALL NIGHT long I've decided to keep the damn thing. Mostly because when i want to visit a website without turning on my computer I can reach for the droid and it takes like 2 seconds to look at the thing. The BlackBerry seems like it's a task compared to the droid just to visit a website.
    01-16-10 06:09 AM
    Opera has never crashed on my Storm and you only have to zoom if you have mobile view turned off. I like the option of both mobile and full site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 07:05 AM
    I returned the droid for a S2. I have owned a ton of smart phones.... and of all the phones that had a virtual & hard keyboard, the droid was the first one where the virtual keyboard was better than the hard keyboard.

Having said that, the virtual keyboard on the droid is vastly inferior to the S2 IMO. In the end I just could never feel comfortable typing on the droid.
    01-16-10 09:22 AM
    Well, after using literally ALL NIGHT long I've decided to keep the damn thing. Mostly because when i want to visit a website without turning on my computer I can reach for the droid and it takes like 2 seconds to look at the thing. The BlackBerry seems like it's a task compared to the droid just to visit a website.
    I'm going through the same thing with Nexus One. My Bold 9700 just does some thing so much better, but Nexus One has a really good browser. No matter how good both Bolt and Opera Mini may be, they are nothing compared to the browser on Nexus One.

I may just keep it because of the browser as well. It is just much better instead of waiting to get home/work and using a computer to look up something online because BlackBerry couldn't load it, or made the website look all over the place.
    01-16-10 09:31 AM
    I'm going through the same thing with Nexus One. My Bold 9700 just does some thing so much better, but Nexus One has a really good browser. No matter how good both Bolt and Opera Mini may be, they are nothing compared to the browser on Nexus One.

I may just keep it because of the browser as well. It is just much better instead of waiting to get home/work and using a computer to look up something online because BlackBerry couldn't load it, or made the website look all over the place.
    Yeah I know. But one thing I miss is the pushed content. You got to actually go check stuff with the android phones. BlackBerry has the pushed stuff and brings everything to me effortlessly.

That's what I miss me the most. But the web browsing is light years beyond BlackBerry so that's what's making me think I'll be keeping it. It's so nice to just go check a website real quick. I can go on this website and hit the forums very quickly and post and get out. With my BlackBerry it's a whole deal trying to get on here and doing it.
    01-16-10 10:29 PM
    what are the current trend for black berry?
    current trend? What are you talking about? could you be any more vague?
    01-16-10 11:21 PM
    Get Opera browser for your BB, it's as fast as Droid browser.
    01-16-10 11:26 PM
    Get Opera browser for your BB, it's as fast as Droid browser.
    I agree. I visited several of my favorite sites on the Droid in comparison to Opera Mini on my BlackBerry. Opera Mini loaded just as fast, if not faster.

01-17-10 03:49 AM
    I do have opera mini and bolt fro my blackberry. It doesn't seem as fast to me. And it's not just the speed. It's the way it works. The touch screen makes it so much easier and the BIG screen. The screen is very large on the droid so you are able to see so much of a site and read it a lot better. And you can switch from two different views depending on how the phone is held.

Theres a lot of advantages to the BlackBerry and I'm going to miss it. But I made myself use both of them and reach for which one I wanted to use specific task and 90% of the time I would reach for the droid.

And it wasn't because it was new. I was kind of set on taking it back and not keeping it. I mean at first I hated the thing. But now I've learned how to do things and can type a little easier and it's getting better.

The web browsing is just so cool. I can't go on enough about that. I mean the websites don't even load really on the Verizon network. It just is there when I hit go. I tried the wifi vs the verizon network and couldn't even tell a difference. That's how fast it worked on the VN.

With opera and bolt browser on BlackBerry it is faster than the regular browser but it's still not as fast as the droid. And it's not as easy to get around.

Really, when using the internet, the droid is like having a little touch screen laptop in your pocket. The BlackBerry isn't quite there yet. I really wish it was though.
    01-17-10 05:46 AM
    Wow! I just downloaded a guitar tuner on the droid and tuned my acoustic with it. I am always forgetting my tuner but I've always got my phone with me. That was REALLY cool.

Also I'm loving how everything uses the gps. Like the weatherbug app. I don't have to manually change locations. It automatically changes me. i drove with the turn by turn gps and it was great.

I've got so many cool apps now I don't have time for them all. And most of them are actually very useful tools that i will be using every day.

I love how apps like, the restaurant finder apps, automatically know which town I'm in because of the gps.

See it's stuff like this that wins me over here. If I go back to my BlackBerry I'm going to feel like it can't do any of this. And some of it, it can, but it's not quite as cool when it does.
    01-17-10 06:13 AM
    I understand what the OP is saying. It was some of the more subtle features of BBs I had missed that ultimately led me back to them. I had an Iphone and I thought it was great, but there are little things that BBs offer that you get used to. Like autotext, I absolutely love autotext. The Iphone, like other smartphones have predictive text which isn't the same thing really. Also, automatic turn on/off. I didn't realize how much I liked this until I didn't have it anymore. The messaging system of the BB in general us better than any other device I have heard of. And the keyboard shortcuts are addictive too. Like I said, its the little things that make you miss the BB if you decide to stray, even for a moment.

01-17-10 06:17 AM
    BTW, if anyone or anyone you know wants a mint condition TOUR for cheaper than most go on EBAY let me know. All you need is a paypal account. I can send photos of it. I just want to sell it to pay for my droid. Probably let it go for 250. Is that a good price? I'm not sure. Just trying to help someone out if they want it. It's mint and I've had no glitches or issues with mine. It has the latest official OS and has been taken care of well.

I will include an 8 gb micro SD card, charger, external charger, regular battery, and extended battery. All for 250. I don't have the box to it but I will ship it in something safe.

I purchased it on October 1st. Send me a pm if interested.
    01-17-10 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD