I was recently reminded of this commercial, I'm sure a commercial that BlackBerry would love to disappear. It's from the BeBold campaign, which is about 2012. So BlackBerry had to know the Z10 "touch screen" was in the works... More marketing genius.

Foot. Meet. Mouth.

09-16-13 08:26 AM
    2012? That's like eons in the tech world. Let it go.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    09-16-13 08:31 AM
    It's still true for many people. I write long emails via touchtype, so I can talk to other people as I'm doing it. Can't do that on a touchscreen, Z10 or not.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    09-16-13 08:55 AM
    Part of the same ad campaign as "Tools not Toys", as part of their effort to push the BB7 devices. Wasn't really appropriate for 2012 given the state of thei competition at the time...maybe if it was 4 years earlier. Oh well, I'm sure most people don't even remember those ads, it's only the fanboys that cling to those tag lines.
    09-16-13 09:04 AM
    Not a marketing failure if you ask me. You advertise what you have and what your strengths are at a given time, not what you expect them to be somewhere down the road.

Where they dropped the ball was not doing an ad after the Z10 came out that touted the ease of use of it's keyboard and how it is, for some, as efficient as their physical ones.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-16-13 at 09:19 AM.
    sk8er_tor and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-16-13 09:07 AM
    Not a marketing failure if you ask me. You advertise what you have and what your strengths are at a given time, not what you expect them to be somewhere down the road.
    I agree, not a marketing failure, but the tone of it could have been more of "if you're looking for a full keyboard, to make typing lengthy emails as efficient as possible, you can't do better than the Bold 9900" or something. Ads with a sarcastic tone can be funny or be more memorable, but I don't think there's anyone who is having difficulty typing on a full touch device that wouldn't know it, so telling them "Try typing 1000..." seems like you're telling them what they already know. There may be a few people out there who haven't been able to articulate exactly what it is about full touchscreen devices they don't like, and when they see that ad they'll go "Yes! That's the problem! I need a full keyboard!" but I think that number is very small.

Did I just change my own mind about whether or not this was a marketing fail? Maybe not for the reasons of undermining the value of BB's full touch devices (they do offer the Q10 after all) but maybe just because it wouldn't be very effective in the end.
    09-16-13 09:12 AM
    Actually that's a great commercial. In my opinion, there is no replacing a QWERTY keyboard. I've had my Z10 since February and as good as the on-screen keyboard is, I do miss the QWERTY and given the opportunity, would switch to a Q10 in an instant.
    09-16-13 09:12 AM
    She actually did an interview with CB back then as well where they brought up the new z10 keyboard.

She's still cute. Have to check BlackBerry World to see if her DigiTour app is there and if it's compatible with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 09:27 AM
    first of all, that commercial is super exaggerated. can you even type a 1000 emails a day with a phone? lets say u take a min to read and type an email, that is over 16hours of just typing. can blackberry battery even last that long, or she does a battery pull 9 times a day?

must be from the marketing geniuses from the current team
    09-16-13 10:05 AM
    It should have said they iPhone but they can't for legal reasons. I can type super fast on my z10 keyboard.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    09-16-13 10:11 AM