Perhaps I have missed it about OS6 or the mythical OS7; will truncated email go away? Will we BlackBerry users/abusers ever get to read an entire long email on our devices?

Can anything be adjusted within BES or BIS to change the truncated emails?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 07:28 AM
    I really freaking hope so.
    It's starting to annoy the crap out of me.
    05-18-11 07:30 AM
    Not changed in OS 6. It's a BIS limitation anyway. I don't know if BES has the same issue.

Even with the latest BIS update to 4, nothing has been said about the truncation issue. If they would just double the allowable size, that would he nice. All my truncated emails seem to be just barely over the limit. When I open them on my computer, it's usually only the last few lines or an auto signiture that's missing.

05-18-11 11:08 AM
    BES is not limited because it is not being delivered by the BIS subsystem. As for the removal of the limit, I seriously doubt it. If it really annoys you that much, you could always login online and read it.

I was never bothered by the truncated emails.
    05-18-11 11:19 AM
    BES is not limited because it is not being delivered by the BIS subsystem. As for the removal of the limit, I seriously doubt it. If it really annoys you that much, you could always login online and read it.

I was never bothered by the truncated emails.
    I was bothered by the truncated emails until I found out that I could log in using the browser and view them. I was even able to download large files and save them to my microSD card.

The only thing that is annoying is seeing the sender's name followed by "message truncated due to size" and not even knowing what the content of the email is without logging in using the browser.
    05-18-11 11:26 AM
    Really ... How long are these emails people are reading??? And what are they, novels?

05-18-11 11:27 AM
    Really ... How long are these emails people are reading??? And what are they, novels?

The ones I get that are truncated contain attachments larger than 2.9 MB. This is not all that unusual nowadays. Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail all allow up 25 MB attachments. My ISP allows up to 30 MB attachments in their webmail.
    05-18-11 11:34 AM
    Its not only the body but as other said, the attachments.... What good would being able to record video in 720P(future devices) if you can't send it, but have to wait till you get infront of a computer??

howarmat likes this.
    05-18-11 01:29 PM
    Blackberry made their name for email back in the day when there was no fast internet and emails were rarely large but as others have said people now have much faster internet and can and do send attachments that exceed Blackberry's limits.

A decent digital photo exceeds the limit, an mp3 tune exceeds the limit. And as others have said you can take a video on your phone then be stuck not being able to send it due to the attachment size.

It's an issue the Blackberry perhaps need to address given that their competitors can handle email and it's no longer the sole exclusive domain of the Blackberry.

For those on BIS there are alternatives, some of us like our BB and the way it does things but I kind of get the impression RIM put out their product, the phone which is an awesome device but then hamper it with BIS and do little to change it on the assumption that users like me like our phones and will put up with the shortcomings of BIS.
    05-18-11 02:59 PM
    My emails are related to business and usually are long enough to be truncated. They often relate to issues on a job site or verification of some details with a good written description. It just would be nice to read my emails on my BlackBerry and not need a computer.

While I understand logging in with a browser, but being hyper lazy, and the email comes to the device, why not read it in its entirety there on the phone without having to open a web browser.

I'll check the BES settings for a limit.

05-18-11 06:26 PM
    I was bothered by the truncated emails until I found out that I could log in using the browser and view them. I was even able to download large files and save them to my microSD card.
    Sorry to be OT, how do you do this? I'm using Gmail and can't download the attachment off from the browser. It just gives me a link that brings me to the another page with just the name of the file.

Going back to the OP's topic, yeah I hope so too. I'm on a pay as you go plan so I change up my BIS plans as I need to. I sometimes only sign up for the email messaging plan and it would suck for me if I get the truncated emails while on the road.

I am getting emails into my message box with attachments over 2.9mb, it even shows what kind of attachment, it just won't let me view or download it. This happened to me last night and I had to turn to my iPod to view the attachment.
    05-18-11 07:41 PM
    This is one of the things RIM needs to take care of to keep up with market. We are using e-mail beyond just a mobile messaging system nowadays.
    05-18-11 09:52 PM
    My understanding is that with BIS, the carrier sets the email size limit. With BES, the company decides the size limit. Updating the BIS/BES version doesn't affect truncation - the carriers could adjust this without updating the server.

With my business, I get order forms that include photos of what is being ordered, including any adjustments being requested. Without the images, I won't see the personalizations. Downloading the images breaks the link between each line of the order form, making more work for me to link which image goes with which line item. To view the order while out of the office, I end up logging on to my work computer with RDM+, but the process is quite slow.

Personally, I would love the email size limit get increased. For now, order forms go to my Android device rather than my BlackBerry. I can still processed things on my BB after viewing the order on my SGS.
    05-18-11 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD