I've never had a problem before with truncated email. 9 times out of 10 it has been a video that I can't watch on the BB anyway.

For the few times it has been something else that I wanted to see I just went to gmail with the browser and viewed it that way. This happened today.

That's my story, now my question.

If I foreward a truncated email from the BB will the whole thing be sent or just the truncated part?

I could foreward from the gmail website but it's much easier to do from the BB's inbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 07:26 PM
    I've received forwards before from truncated emails and all I've got is the truncated email and not the full thing.
    06-16-11 06:47 AM
    Just the truncated part

06-16-11 06:50 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Not the answer I was hoping to hear.

06-16-11 08:12 AM
    What's the size limit of an email before it gets truncated?
    06-16-11 04:56 PM
    around 3 megs, 2.9 i think
    06-16-11 05:06 PM
    This happened to me often when I used my BBs as a main device. It has never happened using Android or iOS. Hopefully soon this will not happen with BBs anymore, because I look forward to trying out a QNX device when they come around.
    06-16-11 06:04 PM
    around 3 megs, 2.9 i think
    2.9mb?

I wish.

How about around 200kb or so.

I'm not sure what it is, really. But my emails get truncated at way under a meg.

06-16-11 09:18 PM
    This happened to me often when I used my BBs as a main device. It has never happened using Android or iOS. Hopefully soon this will not happen with BBs anymore, because I look forward to trying out a QNX device when they come around.
    It's one very good reason to buy an iPad rather than PB if your phone is a blackberry.
    06-16-11 09:20 PM
    2.9mb?

I wish.

How about around 200kb or so.

I'm not sure what it is, really. But my emails get truncated at way under a meg.

Okay, I finally had a chance to check this out.

first of all, forwarded emails - even if truncated by your BB will forward intact. Unless it's picked up by another BB. But if it also goes to the main email client, like Outlook, the full message will get there.

The truncating limit is way less than I thought. Looks to be at a whopping 80kb. That's right. 80,000 bytes.

I got an email that was truncated on my BB. At the bottom of the email, it said "truncated 19305 bytes". Opened up the same email on my outlook at home and it was all of 98 kb. That leaves only about 80 that comes through in the BB.

Now, from my BB, I forwarded the email to my work email (also tied to my BB). The email went thorough fully intact in outlook, but truncated again when it showed up on my BB under the work email. Now, this is all over BIS. My work doesn't run a BES server.

Another thing to remember is that the truncation thing is determined by the BIS/BES. Not the OS. So, even with QNX, you won't see a change. At least not until RIM changes the BIS/BES limits.

06-20-11 08:42 AM
    It's one very good reason to buy an iPad rather than PB if your phone is a blackberry.
    Why because your bb email will not be truncated viewing it on the ipad? If you have to use another email client to view it not truncated on the ipad you can do the same thing on the playbook by going to the web interface of your email provider.
    06-20-11 09:08 AM
    I think 2.9 Mb is the max allowed for the body of the email and a further 5 Mb for attachments. I very seldom, and I mean very seldom, get emails which are truncated on my BB and these are emails with graphics and pics in the body... Could this be a carrier issue?
    06-20-11 09:09 AM
    Email truncation is BIS and carrier dependent.
    06-20-11 09:19 AM
    Email truncation is BIS and carrier dependent.
    Makes sense because I hardly get them...
    06-20-11 09:30 AM
    KB13677

"Truncated <number of bytes received>" appears in an email on the BlackBerry smartphone

When scrolling to the bottom of a newly received email message, the following message is displayed:

Truncated <number of bytes received>

The BlackBerry smartphone can receive a maximum of 32 KB of compressed data in the email message body. This is by design.
    1magine and centsofreason like this.
    06-20-11 09:35 AM
    Truncated e-mails were the #1 reason I left BB for iPhone. Pretty ridiculous that an e-mail-centric smartphone limits message size at all, IMO.
    06-20-11 10:27 AM
    Why because your bb email will not be truncated viewing it on the ipad? If you have to use another email client to view it not truncated on the ipad you can do the same thing on the playbook by going to the web interface of your email provider.
    Yes, the mail will not be truncated on the iPad. Much easier to use the native email client on an iPad than the web browser on either the iPad or PB.
    06-20-11 10:45 AM
    It's not just the truncation, its the native non-html e-mails, and the 'more'/'more all' to get e-mails to come down to the handheld. For a business device - this has been my biggest dissapointment and frustration. Everyone has an email signature, and often a short paragraph w/r/t disclosures, and if you are in finance or banking, their are IRS circulars that must attach as well. A short chain of e-mails with the question in the body of the first, often winds up waiting until I can get my laptop up and running or I get in to the office.
    06-20-11 11:36 AM
    It's not just the truncation, its the native non-html e-mails, and the 'more'/'more all' to get e-mails to come down to the handheld. For a business device - this has been my biggest dissapointment and frustration. Everyone has an email signature, and often a short paragraph w/r/t disclosures, and if you are in finance or banking, their are IRS circulars that must attach as well. A short chain of e-mails with the question in the body of the first, often winds up waiting until I can get my laptop up and running or I get in to the office.
    I have no problem getting html emails and clearly you never discovered the "automore" setting.

06-20-11 11:40 AM
    Automore does not work on my BIS/BES. And OS5 and prior devices do not natively receive HTML e-mail. And if you regularly clean memory, those e-mails you have allowed reset as well.

let me edit to say - they receive the e-mail; but the HTML does not download natively. You get placeholders.
    06-20-11 12:07 PM
    Automore does not work on my BIS/BES. And OS5 and prior devices do not natively receive HTML e-mail. And if you regularly clean memory, those e-mails you have allowed reset as well.

let me edit to say - they receive the e-mail; but the HTML does not download natively. You get placeholders.
    That's because you need to go to messages folder/menu/options/email settings and enable download images automatically and html email. Available on OS5 and OS6
    06-20-11 12:17 PM
    That's because you need to go to messages folder/menu/options/email settings and enable download images automatically and html email. Available on OS5 and OS6
    This option is set on my phone (BB9550). HTML e-mails do not caome down as more than placeholders. This is a VZW + BES limitation on my device.
    centsofreason likes this.
    06-20-11 12:20 PM
    This option is set on my phone (BB9550). HTML e-mails do not caome down as more than placeholders. This is a VZW + BES limitation on my device.
    It's not a limitation, it's a restriction imposed on your device by you BES IT departament. Doesn't mean blackberry is not capable.

06-20-11 12:22 PM
    It's not a limitation, it's a restriction imposed on your device by you BES IT departament. Doesn't mean blackberry is not capable.

I had the same exact problem on OS 5 with my 9000 and 9700 on AT&T. The HTML email would never load.
    06-20-11 12:31 PM
    correct, html mail stopped loading somewhere along the way. that is why there is an app to autoload images that you can buy for .99 i think. It fixed the problem that RIM created somewhere down the line. Its probably fixed again in OS 6
    centsofreason likes this.
    06-20-11 12:48 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD