Hey Everyone,

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread but here goes...I'm finally back. After 2 years with an Iphone (4s, 5) I bought a BB Q10 two days ago. And what I immediately felt was a return to something so familiar. The form factor of a physical keyboard and screen which had been Blackberry's signature for so long was back in my hands again. Just like Levi's jeans, new balance sneakers, ray ban sunglasses, and fender stratocasters, the blackberry physical keyboard phones are just so iconic in my mind. They are timeless and I don't think their appeal will wane despite future trends. More on this later...

Just a little personal narrative first. My first real smartphone was a Blackberry Bold back in 2007. Now that doesn't seem so long ago considering BB has been around since the late 1990s. But it made such an impression on me. I literally became a crackberry addict overnight. My friend from Toronto who actually attended Waterloo (where RIM started) told me I was one of the fastest texters he knew. I was pounding out messages as if I was having a conversation with someone in person, face to face.

Fast forward to 2011 my bold 9650 was experiencing typical BB Os 7 issues (random reboots mainly) and I finally wanted to try the iphone. Now I got used to the iphone keyboard pretty quickly. I actually felt I typed a hair faster on the iphone at times especially with the autocorrect. But despite a few key apps that I liked for work and music listening (spotify), a nicer camera, and the full screen browser it just didn't feel like a phone meant for my needs. I own a business, and I am constantly scheduling appointments, checking email attachments, and of course texting constantly throughout the entire day. The iphone with its poor battery life just couldn't hack it.

As of this week I now have two phones: the Q10 is my daily driver and my iPhone is my "weekend" device. And by weekend I mean I will only use it as a music player and for some apps still not available on BB 10. My friend said it best. Just have both and carry both (if you can) and end this silly debate. Blackberry is ESSENTIAL. Iphone is merely OPTIONAL.

I could go on and on and on...but just a major vote of confidence for Blackberry and the direction they are taking with their new devices and OS. As long as there are business minded/communication obsessed folks out there, the market for a QWERTY type blackberry device will remain. Whether they keep their management or get bought out I will stay with them. It feels good to be back home...the Q10 is an absolute CLASSIC.

Cheers,

M22
    08-21-13 12:36 AM
    Its a true Canadian classic*
    bobauckland and QuickDime like this.
    08-21-13 12:55 AM
    Yeah i know, trust me i know... haha I was implying that it is an iconic design like other classic american brands....
    08-21-13 01:07 AM
    Maybe but it is in the USA where the BlackBerry brand is almost extinct. If BB10 doesn't catch on it will be a classic like the Remington typewriter.
    08-21-13 09:06 AM
    The Blackberry QWERTY is truly iconic. From my old 8700 to my last Blackberry, 9700.... the BB QWERTY will never be forgotten.
    08-21-13 09:25 AM