In a very interesting turn of events, there are quite a number of pro-BlackBerry comments, along with some that are at least middle of the road, regarding this slashdot story about the role of the White House's Chief Technology Officer:

US CTO Tries To Wean the White House Off Floppy Disks - Slashdot

Long story short, article summary implies the CTO's job is to get rid of aging technologies including BlackBerry devices. Regardless of reality (I'm sure the CTO, being an ex-Googler, would love nothing better), the actual article makes no mention of this, so it's just editorializing by the person who posted it on slashdot.

You may need to move the slider bar over to see all comments that haven't been voted up highly enough, and do a search on BlackBerry / BlackBerries to see the (so far) largely positive responses. Not sure if this is a good sign of turnaround in the general tech community's opinion of BB, or just that the Android / iPhone trolls haven't jumped in yet.

Richard
    01-04-15 06:52 PM
    Thanks for sharing... clicking over to Slashdot and it should be fun.
    01-04-15 06:58 PM
    Actually most of the discussions was about floppy disks, BlackBerry was not a central topic
    01-04-15 07:06 PM
    I'm mostly scratching my head at this part of the article:
    Not only does she now carry a BlackBerry, she uses a 2013 Dell laptop: new by government standards, but clunky enough compared with the cutting-edge devices of her former life that her young son asked what it was.
    In which world is 2013 laptop deprecated?
    01-04-15 07:15 PM
    Actually most of the discussions was about floppy disks, BlackBerry was not a central topic
    Exactly - the summary on slashdot made it out to sound like the CTO was waging war on BlackBerry device usage by the White House, then in fact the article didn't mention them at all. Just some anti-BB bias on slashdot that was refuted a bit in the comments, which surprised me. Usually it's a bunch of Android- and iPhone-loving zombies ridiculing BB at any possible opportunity.

Richard
    01-04-15 08:03 PM