Hey all, I've done some searching around here but still don't have any idea how to fix this problem...

I received my Torch in the mail today and activated it. At first, the WiFi worked fine in the house. But before too long, the phone just stopped connecting to it and went back to 3G. I tried disabling 3G and it still won't connect to WiFi. Now every time I try to connect to my unsecured home network, the device shows the network as open, but I get an error message that says "failed to associate with the network". Both my computers are connected just fine. Any tips, ideas, etc. would be appreciated. I'm pissed about the 2GB for $24.95 with AT&T (new to them and couldn't grandfather into unlimited) and don't want to be on 3G unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance, and please be gentle... I'm a noob and my last BB was the Curve 8330. LOL
    12-20-10 08:24 PM
    Try turning wifi off and then back on. Also try rebooting your router.
    12-20-10 08:27 PM
    I've tried turning Wifi off and back on several times. Will try rebooting the router, thanks!
    12-20-10 08:28 PM
    Ok, resetting the router gets it to work for a little while, then it goes back to 3G. Just wondering, is this normal?
    12-20-10 09:36 PM
    What kind of router do you have and who is your service provider? I had some tough time (eventually kicked off) being allowed into a Comcast provided network, don't know about the router, but I had a warning message first and 1 minute later I was unable to connect back. Some routers (or ISP?) have a security control program, that may kick off other devices trying to connect without approval. Maybe you should watch your router while you trying to connect..log onto its setup screen and see if it's denying your BB to use the wireless connection.
    12-20-10 09:40 PM
    First, you need to turn on security in your router. Running without it is a MAJOR no no in this day and age! What router is it and what firmware? Is it loosing wifi or just no BIS? Where is the BB icon and is the wifi icon white or grey? The ISP cannot control connecting to the router but they can block certain types of traffic leaving the modem.

Now for your concerns about data plans. You realize 2GB is first wave? If you go over 2GB, you get another 2GB for ~$15. Sounds like the unlimited plan price to me. Similar on the 200MB plan, you get another 200MB for $10 if you go over. The unlimited plans have a 5GB cap anyway in the fine print and very few users actually use that much data anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 10:39 PM
    If it's an N router, try setting it to B/G only.
    12-20-10 10:43 PM
    Ok, resetting the router gets it to work for a little while, then it goes back to 3G. Just wondering, is this normal?
    I had the same issue until I set security to WPA2 only - it hasn't disconnected since.

12-21-10 06:22 AM
    What kind of router do you have and who is your service provider? I had some tough time (eventually kicked off) being allowed into a Comcast provided network, don't know about the router, but I had a warning message first and 1 minute later I was unable to connect back. Some routers (or ISP?) have a security control program, that may kick off other devices trying to connect without approval. Maybe you should watch your router while you trying to connect..log onto its setup screen and see if it's denying your BB to use the wireless connection.
    My router says "Zoom X6 ADSL Router". I don't know much about them and I'm not the one that set it up. Comcast pissed us off so much we kicked them to the curb and got AT&T dsl (much cheaper for us, there's an employee discount involved). I don't know how to log onto the setup screen.

First, you need to turn on security in your router. Running without it is a MAJOR no no in this day and age! What router is it and what firmware? Is it loosing wifi or just no BIS? Where is the BB icon and is the wifi icon white or grey? The ISP cannot control connecting to the router but they can block certain types of traffic leaving the modem.

Now for your concerns about data plans. You realize 2GB is first wave? If you go over 2GB, you get another 2GB for ~$15. Sounds like the unlimited plan price to me. Similar on the 200MB plan, you get another 200MB for $10 if you go over. The unlimited plans have a 5GB cap anyway in the fine print and very few users actually use that much data anyway.

Husband elected not to turn on security. I'm the one that wanted to. LOL. He won.

Router is not losing wifi, well, the computers are unaffected anyway. I don't have any idea about the firmware. When I'm connected, the BB icon is next to the white wifi icon. Then, after a few minutes, I get booted off and the wifi icon turns gray and the BB icon goes over by the 3G icon.

My only concern about the data plan is that it's a total ripoff IMO. I'm already paying almost as much as I was for unlimited (even if only 5GB) with Verizon. I'm aware that I can go over and be billed for it; I just don't want any $15 surprises showing up on my bill. It's shady to me, that's all. LOL. When I had my curve, I used IM and internet for at least a couple hours a day, plus I like downloading from the live music archive straight to the device. I was really looking forward to using Pandora too. Now with the 2GB plan being the highest one I can get, I was at least hoping to be able to do these things at home over wifi.

Thank you everyone for your comments!!!!!
    12-21-10 07:09 AM
    I had some problem with my router too, and this is what I did.

When in the advance setting, and set the

Fragmentation Threshold to 2304
    RTS Threshold to 2304
    Beacon to 50

fixed my problem.
    12-21-10 07:29 AM
    With your data usage I wouldn't be afraid to do all those things over 3G. I use msn and stream music from yesterberry for about 3 to 4 hours a day and have not even come close to 2GB yet. Although I have the grandfathered "Unlimited" data plan with AT&T. You can check your data usage by calling *3282#, AT&T will reply with a free txt message of your data usage.

As far as your wifi issue, unfortunately I have no answer for you.
    12-21-10 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD