Really simple. I bought an Android phone 5 months ago because work wouldn't support BB10. (Well, it will - but IT won't take the steps necessary to do it.) Rooted it, loaded Android 4.4 on it (stock was 4.2), tried adapting it from there. I tried being patient with it, tried using it for everything I need - but found myself having to switch back to my Z10 for stuff I flat couldn't get done on an Android. Friday, I threw in the towel and pulled the SIM card and put it in the Z10 and stuck the Android in the drawer where it will stay. Work will

Android, why did I hate thee? Oh, let me count the ways.

-- Texting. Flatly, the Android keyboard sucks ***. Oh sure, I can drag my finger around to get words - but the phone wanted to randomly capitalize letters in the middle of a word for no apparent reason. That would be great if I wanted to spell 'inDifferEnt' or put 'Schedule' in the middle of a sentence. It would be one thing if I went anywhere near the SHIFT key, but I got this on roughly half the letters. That meant trying to touch the individual keys - and hitting a desired letter would give me some other letter a chunk of the time. "Predictive text" took weeks for the phone to try and start figuring that out - and to this day, it still offers up suggestions that make no sense at all. Auto-correct? Pfft ... don't even ask. My Z10? Easy peasy - I hit a key, it drops the right letter. I start to misspell a word? No problem, BB10 figures out what I want and offers suggestions. Predictive text? Oh, hell yeah - in less than 2 days, we were in sync. If I'm sending a text, I want to compose it and hit 'SEND' as quickly as possible; I don't have 5-10 minutes to try and correct everything.

-- Calling. I could get a call, swipe to pick it up, and Android would decide "oh, you don't want to answer that." Returning a call? Yeah, there's no "return a call" option - you have to touch to see the call log, then touch again to see the contact, then touch a 3rd time to *finally* make the call. Z10? I see there's a missed call, I touch and it immediately redials.

-- E-mail. Major PITA ... which is kind of a problem for doing real work. Replying to more than one person gave it fits. Attachments never handed well. Viewing attachments when they went to load ... iffy to no. Syncing to e-mail? Meh, if it felt like it - maybe now, maybe 10 minutes from now, maybe tomorrow night. The Z10? No problem, no problem, no problem, and no problem.

-- Running more than one app? Bwahahahahaha!

-- Killing an app? I have no idea if Android has shut down an app, even when I think I've killed it - and I saw several instances where I tried "hit the home button, flick to clear the app" and it would continue to run (meaning I'd have to go in and force kill it, and watch the battery get drained into then). The Z10? I flick it and X it out, it closes - period.

-- OS stability? After a few hours, Android gets slow and laggy and eventually I have to reset. BB10? I'm running 10.3.1.2577; yes, it's got a couple of bugs still - but I don't have "gee, I wish the phone would finally decide to do something" half the time.

The list goes on and on and on (and on).

Oh sure, I could have all the "hot" apps like Facebook, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Twitter, or whatever else is vogue to have these days for blabbing about yourself and basically accomplishing squat - but I'm interesting in actually accomplishing work. You know, that thing that BB focuses on and Android clearly doesn't know how to do.

Welcome back, Blackberry - and fare thee well, Android. I won't be missing you, period.
    04-26-15 03:06 PM
    Just curious what Android phone were you using? If BlackBerry doesn't deliver a new all touch or if the slider is a fat pig of a device then I'm likely to go with latest Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-26-15 03:13 PM
    I don't have any of those problems on my Nexus 6. What Android device were you using?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-26-15 03:18 PM
    Well, i totally agree with you although i do not have a android phone BUT my GF has a new huawei ascend p7.
    It looked nice, the os looked good, customizable etc...

BUT after only 1 day ( yes 24 Hours) she already got heavy lag, which i noticed really fast.

Like you mentioned : closing apps is a hell. I got the 7minute workout app running with voice assistent. When i closed it and even swiped it away in the submenu it still kept playing...(reboot fixed it)

Browser even was more horrible. On a simple newswebsite (hln.be) it gave me blank page... So i tried again : blank page... had to close browser and restart...
    Her 2y old samsung loaded it up faster than that new huawei 4.4 kitkat phone...seriously...

Than the biggest problem came. And at that moment she was a little bit ashamed to me.
    She's a old BlackBerry user but doesn't want it anymore cause nobody uses it and she says it's slow etc....
    What happened? Her phone gave a warning of memory running low... seriously... she's using it for 24h and this already comes up? She had to "clear up" some ram ( who has the time to do that every day ? Looking which apps are using ram, closing them, reboot the phone etc...)
    Never had this on any of my BlackBerry 10 devices.( except with BETA os which is normal)

I thaught the lag on 10.3.1 UI was bad. But what i saw on that android phone opened my eyes.
    BlackBerry 10 isn't bad at all. It's actually freaking amazing compared to that crap.

There where more small problems she had/has but these where the bigger ones.

So yeah, android may have more apps, useless features etc it doesn't beat the total experience of BlackBerry 10.
    At least not for phones in the same pricerange...(which means that i'm not saying that the high end android phones also have these issues)

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 03:38 PM
    Oh and BTW, that autocorrect on android really is the worst ever
    She turned it off ( it worked well on her samsung s3 mini but not on this huawei)

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 03:39 PM
    Interesting. Don't agree with most of it but interesting.

Z30something
    04-26-15 04:04 PM
    Just curious what Android phone were you using? If BlackBerry doesn't deliver a new all touch or if the slider is a fat pig of a device then I'm likely to go with latest Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.
    Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Z30 still good for me, I don't need to get a shiny new one every year.
    thymaster and Anthony_2u like this.
    04-26-15 04:14 PM
    I travelled to Driod Planet and rode the Samsung galaxy S4 land hover with The kit kat 4.4.4 engine. I have to say I couldn't wait to get back to Planet BlackBerry where I'd lived for a long time. I will tell you why. I use to drive the BBQ10 with the beastly 10.3.1 (latest) but had ma earpiece gone deaf after a quite a few falls. I decided to sell it and travel to Driod planet to ride the SGS4. I must say I complained the whole time (5 full days) it was like I was on a slow motion sci-fi fiction. I couldn't get anywhere on time even switching streets to various apps or a simple stuffs as making a quick reply to a message while on some app. It was a hassle. Throughout my time in the busSGS4 I was nearly cooked crisp, it gets so hot sometimes I just switch off and wait a while before I continue. The last straw was the cost of data fuel and the battery fuel. It was such a disappointing journey. Now I'm back to where I belong. Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2558 and feeling so relieved. Everything has been fast forwarded again. Such a great ride this Zed10 model..

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku and miker476 like this.
    04-26-15 04:18 PM
    That was my post couple of days back. Same experience as you. The title was "my sojourn in the Driod planet "

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 04:20 PM
    Well, I agree. These days I'm starting to convince some friends of the good things BB10 has. At last! Some may even try it. I'm sure if they try it, they'll love it. Marketing is something BlackBerry has done pretty bad.
    The only thing I'm jealous of is some cameras. I tried today an iToy 6+ and really hate iOS, but man, what a fast camera!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 04:22 PM
    I have a Nexus 5 alongside my Passport. It's only good for anything NOT work related. -_-

Passport | SQW100-1/10.3.2.500 | Globe PH
    04-26-15 04:57 PM
    Really comes down what you use your phone for and what you are use to using... In the land of Android you get great variety of apps and customization... on the downside there is so many forks of Android and endless updates that you never know which is best for you... in the land of Apple things are simple with an abundance of low hanging fruit on the App tree... the only problem with Apple is " well it is Apple!"... in the land of Blackberry... productivity is the order of the day with the distraction of all those pesky " it sort of runs Android"... do not run any Android Apps so to me not an issue...In the end it is what you are use to and your expectations.
    vanrickman likes this.
    04-26-15 05:31 PM
    Hmm, strange. I've had my first android (after a decade with a bb) for a few months now and experience none of these issues. Well, actually, typing sucks but I dislike virtual keyboards so that's kind of a personal preference rather than anything to do with the device it self. I see people who are quite good at using a virutal keyboard, I'm just not one of them. That said, using the google keyboard helped a lot and it fixes most of my mistakes. Having a PKB is about all I miss about having a bb.

djtim and solitude1984 like this.
    04-26-15 05:38 PM
    Interesting. Don't agree with most of it but interesting.

Z30something
    Quite interesting.
    04-26-15 06:01 PM
    Good for you. I disagree with all your remarks about Android but I won't bother disputing them as clearly you like BlackBerry and you are a fan. Welcome back, BlackBerry could use more people like you.

04-26-15 06:44 PM
    I travelled to Driod Planet and rode the Samsung galaxy S4 land hover with The kit kat 4.4.4 engine. I have to say I couldn't wait to get back to Planet BlackBerry where I'd lived for a long time. I will tell you why. I use to drive the BBQ10 with the beastly 10.3.1 (latest) but had ma earpiece gone deaf after a quite a few falls. I decided to sell it and travel to Driod planet to ride the SGS4. I must say I complained the whole time (5 full days) it was like I was on a slow motion sci-fi fiction. I couldn't get anywhere on time even switching streets to various apps or a simple stuffs as making a quick reply to a message while on some app. It was a hassle. Throughout my time in the busSGS4 I was nearly cooked crisp, it gets so hot sometimes I just switch off and wait a while before I continue. The last straw was the cost of data fuel and the battery fuel. It was such a disappointing journey. Now I'm back to where I belong. Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2558 and feeling so relieved. Everything has been fast forwarded again. Such a great ride this Zed10 model..

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Amazing how the "old" / "2012 spec " / "outdated" / "whatever" Z10 beats the Samsung in overall usability for those who appreciate multitasking the 'Berry way... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-26-15 06:53 PM
    Good for you. I disagree with all your remarks about Android but I won't bother disputing them as clearly you like BlackBerry and you are a fan. Welcome back, BlackBerry could use more people like you.

Classy remark. We could use more unbiased smartphone users like you.
    04-26-15 07:05 PM
    OP: time to upgrade your z10 ;p

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:23 PM
    I've been using a Sony Z3 compact for a couple weeks now and have had zero problems with it. Love blackberry but I don't think all android is bad either. This sony with SwiftKey is really great. No lag whatsoever and the Sony launcher is great. Has a pretty good camera as well. Enjoy your blackberry though.
    reeneebob and jmaxim917 like this.
    04-26-15 08:27 PM
    The BB keyboard is licensed from SwiftKey (aside from the flicking, which BB created), and SwiftKey started life on Android. Anyone who wants the excellent predictions and so forth from BB10 should install SwiftKey on their Android.

And as far as closing apps, there is normally no reason to do so. Please read any of the following articles which explain why:

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them

HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn?t Use a Task Killer On Android

and if you're more of a developer/techie:

FAQ: Why You Shouldn�t Be Using a Task Kille… | Nexus One | XDA Forums

If you are closing Android tasks, YOU are making Android run slower, and often using more battery life than if you let Android manage itself.
    04-26-15 08:52 PM
    Did the op ever say what android device he used? Androids have a wide spectrum of devices ranging from junk to most of the ten best phones available for purchase.

Posted via CB10
    BoldPreza likes this.
    04-26-15 08:57 PM
    Did the op ever say what android device he used? Androids have a wide spectrum of devices ranging from junk to most of the ten best phones available for purchase.

Posted via CB10
    Not yet. I'm wondering since he had to load 4.4 on it if it wasn't some bargain basement device that costs $100 and the apps statements are puzzling too making we wonder if he had a Google Play capable device.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-26-15 09:14 PM
    The BB keyboard is licensed from SwiftKey (aside from the flicking, which BB created), and SwiftKey started life on Android. Anyone who wants the excellent predictions and so forth from BB10 should install SwiftKey on their Android.

And as far as closing apps, there is normally no reason to do so. Please read any of the following articles which explain why:

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them

HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn?t Use a Task Killer On Android

and if you're more of a developer/techie:

FAQ: Why You Shouldn�t Be Using a Task Kille… | Nexus One | XDA Forums

If you are closing Android tasks, YOU are making Android run slower, and often using more battery life than if you let Android manage itself.
    Than it's a serious bug on android to give a warning that memory is low and you have to clean it up...

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 01:13 AM
    I decided to randomly pick up my old samsung phone a few weeks ago.

I reset it, and gave it a try.

- 15 mins later -

wtf I havent even installed apps and this thing is lagging badly.

- 10 more mins later -

why is this phone so slow???

- 5 more mins l8r -

yeah, im switching back :P

THE END.

Posted from q10, excuse me for not having any typos.
    04-27-15 02:24 AM
    Really simple. I bought an Android phone 5 months ago because work wouldn't support BB10. (Well, it will - but IT won't take the steps necessary to do it.) Rooted it, loaded Android 4.4 on it (stock was 4.2), tried adapting it from there. I tried being patient with it, tried using it for everything I need - but found myself having to switch back to my Z10 for stuff I flat couldn't get done on an Android. Friday, I threw in the towel and pulled the SIM card and put it in the Z10 and stuck the Android in the drawer where it will stay. Work will

Android, why did I hate thee? Oh, let me count the ways.

-- Texting. Flatly, the Android keyboard sucks ***. Oh sure, I can drag my finger around to get words - but the phone wanted to randomly capitalize letters in the middle of a word for no apparent reason. That would be great if I wanted to spell 'inDifferEnt' or put 'Schedule' in the middle of a sentence. It would be one thing if I went anywhere near the SHIFT key, but I got this on roughly half the letters. That meant trying to touch the individual keys - and hitting a desired letter would give me some other letter a chunk of the time. "Predictive text" took weeks for the phone to try and start figuring that out - and to this day, it still offers up suggestions that make no sense at all. Auto-correct? Pfft ... don't even ask. My Z10? Easy peasy - I hit a key, it drops the right letter. I start to misspell a word? No problem, BB10 figures out what I want and offers suggestions. Predictive text? Oh, hell yeah - in less than 2 days, we were in sync. If I'm sending a text, I want to compose it and hit 'SEND' as quickly as possible; I don't have 5-10 minutes to try and correct everything.

-- Calling. I could get a call, swipe to pick it up, and Android would decide "oh, you don't want to answer that." Returning a call? Yeah, there's no "return a call" option - you have to touch to see the call log, then touch again to see the contact, then touch a 3rd time to *finally* make the call. Z10? I see there's a missed call, I touch and it immediately redials.

-- E-mail. Major PITA ... which is kind of a problem for doing real work. Replying to more than one person gave it fits. Attachments never handed well. Viewing attachments when they went to load ... iffy to no. Syncing to e-mail? Meh, if it felt like it - maybe now, maybe 10 minutes from now, maybe tomorrow night. The Z10? No problem, no problem, no problem, and no problem.

-- Running more than one app? Bwahahahahaha!

-- Killing an app? I have no idea if Android has shut down an app, even when I think I've killed it - and I saw several instances where I tried "hit the home button, flick to clear the app" and it would continue to run (meaning I'd have to go in and force kill it, and watch the battery get drained into then). The Z10? I flick it and X it out, it closes - period.

-- OS stability? After a few hours, Android gets slow and laggy and eventually I have to reset. BB10? I'm running 10.3.1.2577; yes, it's got a couple of bugs still - but I don't have "gee, I wish the phone would finally decide to do something" half the time.

The list goes on and on and on (and on).

Oh sure, I could have all the "hot" apps like Facebook, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Twitter, or whatever else is vogue to have these days for blabbing about yourself and basically accomplishing squat - but I'm interesting in actually accomplishing work. You know, that thing that BB focuses on and Android clearly doesn't know how to do.

Welcome back, Blackberry - and fare thee well, Android. I won't be missing you, period.
    Well, where do I start? - If you check my post history you will find I am one that tend to defend BB often but I have to disagree with most of what you wrote here. I have a Note Edge and have none of the problems you described here - in fact as far as performance and the camera goes, it simply blows my Z30 & Passport out of the water. I have been using it as a primary phone for about 2 weeks now and haven't rebooted it but still no lag (I actually surprised myself because every other Samsung device I've had starts to lag after a couple of days).

I found the keyboard compared to the keyboard on my Z30 is actually better because of the haptic feedback on the SS and as far as accuracy I'm pleasantly surprised at how accurate the Note Edge is, email is not a whole lot different than BB, certainly much more usable than IOS.

Now that being said, I still prefer my Z30 over the Note when it comes to a real work tool because I find the hub, remote file access, blend, etc. to be extremely useful so yeah, even though I have these other devices my go to devices will remain BB although I really wish and hope they come out with a high end touch screen phone with a big bright screen and a great camera like my Note. Also, and I may be completely out to lunch on this but I DO feel my BB devices are more secure and have not and will not put any sensitive information on my Android devices.

The Passport which I think has a great keyboard was kind of a novelty for me but I'm now finding it to be a bit of clunky device and I don't like the slow focusing of the camera so it kind of just sits in my drawer for now.

Edit: I'm running Android 5.01 on my Note Edge and the latest 10.3.1 on all of my BB 10 devices.
    04-27-15 02:50 AM
103 123 ...