I'm a long time Palm user. I know the ins and outs of my Treo (even creating my own custom rom). Well I guess any treo user needs to be an expert to keep their device running smoothly. My company is giving me a choice of Going with a Treo 755p or Blackberry 8830 from Verizon. Also my Treo 650 doesn't reset as often thanks to "reset doctor" and my custom roms. So for me it's fairly stable (I won't lie, resets do happen at most inopportune times)

I've done some reading here and KJFLINT has a great post on the differences between using a Treo vs Blackberry so that part I get. (I can't post URL since I don't have 10 points yet)

ht*p://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blackberry-treo-22474/#post171162

Now my question is, if I were to go with an 8830 I would like to know if my current programs I like to use on my Treo are available on the 8830. Please help me suggest alternatives so I can make the move to a 8830.

1) Nintendo Emulator (can't all be business, gotta mix it with pleasure sometimes when traveling). If not please tell me they got some awesome games for this besides brick breaker.
    2) Butler - It's a program that helps control Alarms, my LED light (red light for voicemail, green for text blah blah). I probably won't need this if BB has these functions built in natively.
    3) HeadsetControl - On my Treo I can click the MIC button on my headset to skip a mp3 song or pause it without taking the phone out of my pocket. Does BB have a good built-in or 3rd party mp3 app that gives me this same feature? How good is MP3 abilities?
    4) Mundu IM - I know BB has Gtalk/Gchat, but does it support AIM as well?
    5) Ignore with Text - Does BB have the ability to ignore a phone call and send a text message to the user like the Treo can?
    6) Threaded SMS - I know it's not native program but is there a 3rd party program to do this?
    7) TCPMP - On the TREO this program lets me play any video I throw on the memory card. Can the BB do this as well?
    8) Youtube / ORB / Sling Player - Treo can do all three. Does the BB have this function built in natively (streaming video), if not what 3rd party program must I get?
    9) Goodlink Client- I like the Goodlink Outlook style client. I feel the BB email client is more Hotmail/Yahoo style and I noticed doesn't have Flagging. What 3rd party program will solve this?

And last but not least, be honest here crackberry guys/gals, does your BB ever freeze, reset, and act stupid on you? This happens for us Treo users with installing too many 3rd party apps. Be honest. My roomate with his BB Curve has his phone with the Blackscreen of Death where it turns off and needs to power it back on or pull the battery out and back in. I have a bunch of other blackberry 8800 users that says their phone is "stable and solid" but also mentions in the same sentence that it always lock ups and freezes and one of them stated if they place their phone on the table too hard it freezes???. now they aren't the most technical people so I figure they installed something wrong and messed it up and it's something software wise that can be fixed.
    Last edited by Seizure; 03-11-08 at 03:14 PM.
    03-11-08 02:58 PM
    don't know but you can checkout handango.com for similar apps for the BB 8830. haven't seen a nes emulator for BB bur doesn't mean it isn't there
    03-11-08 04:49 PM
    Answers below in red..

I'm a long time Palm user. I know the ins and outs of my Treo (even creating my own custom rom). Well I guess any treo user needs to be an expert to keep their device running smoothly. My company is giving me a choice of Going with a Treo 755p or Blackberry 8830 from Verizon. Also my Treo 650 doesn't reset as often thanks to "reset doctor" and my custom roms. So for me it's fairly stable (I won't lie, resets do happen at most inopportune times)

I've done some reading here and KJFLINT has a great post on the differences between using a Treo vs Blackberry so that part I get. (I can't post URL since I don't have 10 points yet)

ht*p://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blackberry-treo-22474/#post171162

Now my question is, if I were to go with an 8830 I would like to know if my current programs I like to use on my Treo are available on the 8830. Please help me suggest alternatives so I can make the move to a 8830.

1) Nintendo Emulator (can't all be business, gotta mix it with pleasure sometimes when traveling). If not please tell me they got some awesome games for this besides brick breaker.
    not that i'm aware of. there are LOTS of games for the BB, but its mostly enteprise.
    2) Butler - It's a program that helps control Alarms, my LED light (red light for voicemail, green for text blah blah). I probably won't need this if BB has these functions built in natively. no need here, all the settings normally set in butler are configured natively in the os.
    3) HeadsetControl - On my Treo I can click the MIC button on my headset to skip a mp3 song or pause it without taking the phone out of my pocket. Does BB have a good built-in or 3rd party mp3 app that gives me this same feature? How good is MP3 abilities? mp3 abilities are good, non standard headphones tho on the 8830. otherwise there are a few apps to enhance the mp3 experience.
    4) Mundu IM - I know BB has Gtalk/Gchat, but does it support AIM as well? jivetalk does all of them, gtalk/aim/yahoo
    5) Ignore with Text - Does BB have the ability to ignore a phone call and send a text message to the user like the Treo can? no, i miss that too...
    6) Threaded SMS - I know it's not native program but is there a 3rd party program to do this? by threaded, you're talking about a chat-like experience.. i'm pretty sure its basically similar on the 8830 natively...
    7) TCPMP - On the TREO this program lets me play any video I throw on the memory card. Can the BB do this as well? natively yes.
    8) Youtube / ORB / Sling Player - Treo can do all three. Does the BB have this function built in natively (streaming video), if not what 3rd party program must I get? not at the moment. but slignbox is making a BB client, and the new OS 4.5 promises enhanced multimedia.
    9) Goodlink Client- I like the Goodlink Outlook style client. I feel the BB email client is more Hotmail/Yahoo style and I noticed doesn't have Flagging. What 3rd party program will solve this? email is also being enhanced in 4.5 which is due shortly.

And last but not least, be honest here crackberry guys/gals, does your BB ever freeze, reset, and act stupid on you? This happens for us Treo users with installing too many 3rd party apps. Be honest. My roomate with his BB Curve has his phone with the Blackscreen of Death where it turns off and needs to power it back on or pull the battery out and back in. I have a bunch of other blackberry 8800 users that says their phone is "stable and solid" but also mentions in the same sentence that it always lock ups and freezes and one of them stated if they place their phone on the table too hard it freezes???. now they aren't the most technical people so I figure they installed something wrong and messed it up and it's something software wise that can be fixed.
    as far as my BB locking, i also use the 8330we on verizon, it seems basicaly flawless, but does freeze once in a while, maybe once every two weeks or so... it has a ctrl-alt-del combination that we use to do a reset w/o battery pull. i'm also a treo convert, and found my experience with the BB to be more concrete with less unfinished edges like was found on the my treo 700p
    Last edited by libuff; 03-11-08 at 07:02 PM.
    03-11-08 04:59 PM
    Posted by Crackberry and very good, I too am a treo user. I only miss the touchsreen. I do not miss the lock ups:
    Treo vs. BlackBerry - An In-Depth Analysis - Part I | CrackBerry.com
    03-12-08 06:22 PM
    As Marc said, that was an excellent read. The things I thought I would miss have become outweighed by the excellent form factor and stability.
    03-12-08 09:04 PM
    i had the treo 755 for a 2 weeks before i switched back to bb. the OS seems too DATED to me, that was all that bugged me and well touch screen too its love it or hate it. but the touch screen was soo much better then the HTC touch.
    03-13-08 12:53 AM
    I think I might just make the move. i'll be losing my Nintendo and my Streaming stuff, but then again, perhaps it will help me be more productive.

Guess i'll be listening to more music on the subways instead of throwing for another TD in Tecmo Super Bowl haha

Now the question is, do I hold out and wait for the Verizon Curve? (probably forever wait) or just jump the gun with the 8830
    03-13-08 09:00 AM
    i threw my treo off of a bridge when i got my bb lol not really but i wanted to
    03-13-08 09:03 AM
    I had a Treo 700wx from Nov - May 9th! It froze and gave me all sorts of problems! They replaced it 3 times and offered me a new phone! I got my VZW curve and I'll never go back to a treo! Took some time to get used to, but I'm hooked on BB's now!
    05-14-08 06:50 PM
    Also Mundu has a BB client as well. I actually heard that you can transfer your license over to the BB platform as long as you have proof of purchase and/or registration key.

JiveTalk is still the preferred client for BB users.

WebMessenger is a free solution.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 05-15-08 at 12:00 AM.
    05-14-08 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";