My PlayBook has completely replaced my laptop(MacBook Air) for travelling.
    The Bridge function has also allowed me to leave my wireless router at home when hotels only offer wifi (no network port on the MB Air) or charge extra for internet.
    On top of that, on the last couple of trips I tried UbiNav on my 9900 and on my last trip I left my Garmin standalone gps at home and UbiNav worked flawlessly providing turn-by-turn voice directions.
    Heck I don't even take a dedicated camera with me anymore. There has been some griping about the 9900 camera (there is room for improvement) but it gets the job done for me.
    I also use my phone as an mp3 player, and the PlayBook as a book reader.

So, overall I've found the 2 piece 9900/PlayBook combo takes care of all the functions required by laptop/router/gps/camera/book reader/iPod and has allowed me to travel much lighter and does so with ease.
    Anyone else finding themselves downsizing?
    10-15-11 02:20 PM
    To a degree, but not to the extent that you have. I still need a real camera and
    a really good music device.

Other than those two things I almost never carry my laptop, buy a newspaper or
    a physical book.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-15-11 at 03:33 PM.
    10-15-11 03:12 PM
    Yep! I typically only need my HTC Sensation, but when I need added computing functionality I have an Acer Aspire One netbook. If I'm not in an area with WiFi I can turn my Sensation into a hotspot. I have a great laptop, but lately it's sitting on my desk to be used as a Netflix streaming machine lol.
    10-15-11 03:19 PM
    I think a lot of people underestimate the convenience of an all in one device.
    Which got me thinking...
    Fan boys on any of the major platforms will argue that their phone is best because it is better for business, or it is best for multimedia. They will put down the other for being a toy or being too boring. Why can't they be both work and play? Why does one have to suffer at the expense of the other?
    I think RIM is on the right track with BB Balance Technology. Nobody wants to carry two phones if they don't have too.
    10-15-11 04:29 PM
    My favorite topic: convergence. Give me one device that does it all well.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-18-11 01:40 AM
    I still have not found a way to remove devices, my GPS has many places I go preprogrammed in, and the screen size is great, I never have volume on, I just am looking for routes, my Phone is usually in use, email, calls, bbm, photo's, notes. I can't think of a 15 minute period in a day that it isn't being used, I would rather not dedicate it to another task,

My PlayBook has removed my need for bringing my laptop into customers locations ever, I load up the excel files I my need in advance as well as any PDF files, the fact it fits in my pocket makes it very portable,

I really would like RIM to make a 17" PlayBook, if I combined a 7" and a 17" playbook into my laptop bag with a BT keyboard I could leave the 15.6" laptop at home for weekends, I'd have the bigger screen I need for number crunching, and the weight would be drastically less. they'd have to give me USB OTG support, but it would be nice
    10-18-11 07:16 AM
    My PlayBook has completely replaced my laptop(MacBook Air) for travelling.
    The Bridge function has also allowed me to leave my wireless router at home when hotels only offer wifi (no network port on the MB Air) or charge extra for internet.
    On top of that, on the last couple of trips I tried UbiNav on my 9900 and on my last trip I left my Garmin standalone gps at home and UbiNav worked flawlessly providing turn-by-turn voice directions.
    Heck I don't even take a dedicated camera with me anymore. There has been some griping about the 9900 camera (there is room for improvement) but it gets the job done for me.
    I also use my phone as an mp3 player, and the PlayBook as a book reader.

So, overall I've found the 2 piece 9900/PlayBook combo takes care of all the functions required by laptop/router/gps/camera/book reader/iPod and has allowed me to travel much lighter and does so with ease.
    Anyone else finding themselves downsizing?
    Glad you could join us.
    10-18-11 07:26 AM
    Glad you could join us.
    Not sure how the iPhone ever replaced a laptop for functional use. but thanks for coming out.
    10-18-11 07:35 AM
    No offense to anyone who owns a Playbook, but I'd much rather carry my computer and phone. Plus, I don't think I'd want to put myself in a position to be forced to rely on my phone for use.
    10-18-11 06:45 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I travel all over the world and find the Playbook indispensable ... love to hang out at cafes with the Playbook ! LOL .. so useful and its only going to get a whole lot better!! ...

and coupled with the Bold 9900 ... perfect!
    10-18-11 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD