I just want to post this warning for anyone planning on travelling to Europe with their BB.

Last year I was in Europe (Germany) and accessed various Wifi points. The readers digest version of this story is I was shocked when I received my bill for $700 for data roaming.

After some heated discussions with my carrier (Rogers) I reluctantly paid the bill. What the rep from Rogers told me is that this is a well know �Scam� throughout Europe. These �Free� Wifi zones are not free at all. They are run by the various providers in Europe and are pay as you go. When you access these with your BB in Wifi mode they identify your device as a partner carrier and allow you to access their service knowing that they can bill you.

The Rep went on to advise me that if you tried to access these site with a laptop it would not allow you to connect as they would know that they can�t bill a laptop.

Well this year I was back in Europe (Germany and Netherlands) and confirmed with my I Touch that the above information is correct. As soon as I tried to access these �Hot Spots� with my Wifi enabled I Touch access was denied. I could not connect or was prompted to logon and provide a credit card # or Paypal acct #. T Mobile is the #1 culprit.

The Moral of the story, Travel with Data Roaming off, and if you are accessing Wifi services that appear to be free on your BB in Europe there is a good chance they are not free and you maybe stuck with a huge data roaming bill.
    09-29-10 08:40 AM
    Very good post, will keep this in mind!
    09-29-10 08:49 AM
    That is screwed up, man.

Sorry you got nailed so badly.
    09-29-10 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. Great info to know.

Sorry you are out $700.
    09-29-10 10:10 AM
    Thanks for posting. I will be going to Italy and wasn't sure about service there on my 9630.
    10-01-10 04:19 PM
    You won't have to worry about this particular issue on the 9630 because that device does not have WiFi.
    10-01-10 04:36 PM
    Sometimes it's better to unlock your phone and use a carrier there to avoid these ridiculous roaming charges.
    10-01-10 08:42 PM
    Amazing that they'd be able to do that. You'd think they would have to disclose the fact that you're using a paid service since they don't make you log in. I'm shocked that your provider still made you pay it since you weren't told.
    10-02-10 05:42 AM
    Wow, 700 bucks?! That is crazy...

If I had to pay that(especially in my current situation being a broke college student lol), I'll be moving to another carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 09:57 AM
    Unlocking the phone seems like a good option to avoid roaming charges.
    Its crazy how people find loopholes to charge you outrageous fees.
    10-02-10 10:40 AM
    That's insane, some people are really low. Thanks for the heads up.
    10-02-10 10:58 AM
    Um, add an unlimited international data plan next time. $40/month with Sprint.
    10-02-10 11:08 AM
    I have to look into that international unlimited data plan.
    10-02-10 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD