I am the owner of a Blackberry 8100 Pearl and I wanted to know whether my firm is able to locate/track the positioning of me/the phone at any time.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    05-08-09 04:19 AM
    Buddy, unless you're wearing your tinfoil hat, 'they' can always find you.

Seriously, though, are you on an enterprise server? If you aren't then you're all set, the shouldn't know where you are.
    If you are, then I'm not really sure. I know BlackBerry does offer some enterprise location based services just for this sort of thing. Whether your firm is using it or not, I dunno.
    05-08-09 04:48 AM
    Hopefully someone can give you a definite answer on this. My guess is yes, either by using/modifying the emergency 911 feature or a different version of the send location option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 04:57 AM
    ...just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...LOL
    no, seriously...what kind of stuff are you involved in, corporate espionage?! Are you on the lam from the DHARMA Initiative, or hiding from Nina Sharpe and Massive Dynamic? ...i hear there is this woman, Olivia Dunham, who would likely be interested in helping you out...

sorry, i am feeling just a little silly this morning, hope this post arouses at least a chuckle...
    05-08-09 05:05 AM
    On BIS, no, BES, most likely.
    Definately yes if you've sent your location through Blackberry/Google maps...

Why so paranoid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 05:19 AM
    Big brother is watching
    05-08-09 07:33 AM
    the only way they could know were you are is if they have google locater on your phone or another type of application
    05-08-09 07:39 AM
    There is application software available which can be installed on a device which makes it possible to track the location of a device.

I won't presume to speak as to whether or not your employer would do this, and why you would want to know, although if you care to share, we're listening...

There are three methods that I can think of to ensure that your location is not being tracked through your phone.

1. Don't take your phone with you if you're going somewhere you shouldn't be going.

2. Remove the battery from the phone.

3. Purchase a cellphone signal blocker.
    Amazon.com: Personal Phone Signal Blocker Shield (12 Meter Radius): Everything Else
    05-08-09 07:57 AM
    Negative, it is possible for them to track you with or without a program on it. I am a 911 operator and we occasionally need to (for emergency purposes only) track a cell phone location. Verizon is probably the easiest and most cooperative to do a trace on. Verizon (or your cell phone company) has the ability to track you at any time and may make it possible for the issuing agency of the phone to have access to it regardless of if the Location is turned to 911 only or on.
    05-13-09 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD