For those who have never had a trackball device, whats your take on the trackpad?

I know RIM would never go back to the ball as it doesnt seem modern enough. But how about you?

Trackball
    -more precise
    -doesn't get a ghost image
    -replaceable for cheaper

Bad
    -gets dirty which means it wont function (scroll) and certain way
    -replace more often then trackpads
    -more scrolling on webpages

Trackpad
    -sleek modern look
    -less scrolling on webpages

Bad
    -ghost image on some devices
    -not as precise as the trackball

Ghost image is when the trackpad moves by itself. This is experienced on the curve 9300, bold 9790, and bold 9900

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryzack; 04-15-12 at 12:04 PM.
    04-15-12 11:54 AM
    ive used both and i definately prefer the trackpad. the trackball was pretty rubbish if you had a moist finger because it was raining or something. I've never experienced the ghost effect that you speak of and that has never been discussed on the 9790 forum ever so I dont think it affected this series of phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 12:18 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7314180

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 12:27 PM
    Trackpad hands down.
    04-15-12 12:29 PM
    Trackpad I have gotten comfortable with it.
    04-15-12 12:31 PM
    Trackpad but i dont even use mine anymore, touchscreen please.
    04-15-12 12:38 PM
    I don't see how you can compare the two methods. The trackball on my old 8320 was rubbish compared to the pad on my 9700.

Got the old phone out the other day to check that it still worked and I could not believe the difference. It was good in it's day though.

It's called progress!

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-15-12 12:45 PM
    i did love my trackball but i love the pad too. its a great feature either way and i use it all the time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 01:14 PM
    Trackpad...the less moving parts that can get jammed up the better.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-15-12 01:20 PM
    Trackpad + customizable colors like the led light i want!
    04-15-12 01:31 PM
    The only thing good about the trackball was that it lit up.

Anything mechanical on a mobile device in this day and age is step backwards.
    04-15-12 01:52 PM
    I loved the trackball and when I first got the trackpad, it was a big adjustment and I missed the trackball and didn't think I would ever get used to the trackpad.

But now it is the complete opposite. I was struggling with the trackball as it didn't move as smoothly as the trackpad. I wouldn't want to go back to the trackball.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 02:05 PM
    Trackpad, but I would have preferred if it was flush with the device. meaning, don't feel it sticking out. im sure doubletap for selection can easily be applied.

Sent from my BlackBerry Scorch 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 02:15 PM
    The thing that I wish RIM would do is get rid of the mechanical trackpad altogether, make the next touchscreen a little bigger, and gives us a virtual trackpad with the option of turning it off or turning it on.
    Last edited by crackfinder; 04-15-12 at 03:38 PM.
    04-15-12 02:20 PM
    i don't like the trackpad. it's not half as precise as the trackball was. only bad thing was, that i had to repair it once or twice. i also have the feeling, that the trackpad of my new touchscreen devices is not that good at all. sometimes i have problems getting any response at all.
    04-15-12 02:57 PM
    I always had more trouble with the trackball. I don't have a lot of experience with different blackberry devices, but I was glad to see the upgrade.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 03:44 PM
    i would prefer to have the Trackpad instead of the Trackball simply because it easily gets dirty... I never had any issue with Trackpad, I think it just depend on how people use it.
    04-15-12 07:24 PM
    Track pad please, I've lost too many track ball on my old 8830
    04-15-12 08:55 PM
    I'm actually shocked that some still find the trackball more accurate. I was apprehensive when the trackpad first released for mobile devices, mainly because I was concerned about the tactile feel. But once I tried it out, I knew instantly the trackball was a thing of the past.

Penned via Tapatalk.
    04-15-12 08:59 PM
    Hmmm guess i need to buy a old BlackBerry with a trackball and try it out!
    04-15-12 09:03 PM
    I have only used a trackpad device; but I have seen people using the trackball devices, and I just don't think I'd be able to use one confidently. As another poster above stated, if you had moist fingers or if it was raining, I'd be afraid that the trackball would become faulty. Also, I know my friend (who had a trackball device) had to get his trackball replaced because it would break. I don't know how many times he had to do that; but I remember thinking how much of a nightmare it must be to wait to get a new phone because of one small issue (which isn't really "small" when you think about it; but I didn't have a smartphone back then). Anyway, this was a great thread idea! I like the trackpad - I love using it and you can always adjust its sensitivity. Mine's not ultra sensitive right now; but I like how you can adjust it to suit your needs.
    04-15-12 09:19 PM
    It seems as though I am in the minority here. I prefer the trackball over the trackpad. I have gone back to my 8330 and changed the white trackball to a black one and I have not been happier with my BB. I have never had any issues with the trackball on any of the bbs I have owned. And I have never had to replace one due to functionality. However, I did buy a set of 5 black trackballs on eBay for a couple of bucks just in case. I like the feel of the trackball better. I eel like I have a little more control. And I know that if it were to break, I could replace it easily in a matter of seconds. I have nothing against the trackpad. I have owned several bbs that have them, but I prefer the trackball.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-16-12 12:33 PM
    I really didn't mind either when I had them. Guess if I had to choose then the trackpad would be it.
    04-16-12 12:53 PM
    I've had the opportunity to experience both tracball and tracpad in my BlackBerry lifetime, and I can honestly say the tracpad is a better experience of the two. I replaced two tracballs in a span of approx 2 years. To my knowledge a tracpad does not need to be replace unless it's user damaged
    04-16-12 01:03 PM
    I've seen the threads about problems with the trackpad, but the one on my 9800 has been totally problem free and is just as precise as the trackball was on my previous Pearl 8100. While I nursed the trackball on the 8100 for a good 3 years (with periodic disassembly and parts cleaning), the ball did eventually wear down so smooth that it could no longer bite the teeth on the rollers in the mechanism. For the last 6 months that I had the phone, I replaced the trackball with one from my wife's Pearl who had already replaced hers with an iPhone almost a year earlier.
    04-16-12 04:58 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD