I've cleaned the lint from the trackball rollers, and oh while I was in there, game myself a nice blue color by coloring the light source w/sharpe - nice touch.

The trackball response is better, although I thing that I might of put it in upside down, which is ok bc the down scroll was an issue, now its up scroll.

So it not perfect, not like new - this is what I was expecting.

I did see on ebay replacements, for roller and new ring... 7.95 - not bad

Question, anyone ever replace this part? Is there parts to stay away from, did not if these are genuine rimm parts or aftermarket?

8 bucks is not much to invest in a 2yr old bb to get the trackball action back, but if this is not going to get me back to 'new like" performance - it might be time to renew contract and get 8330 ( replace 8830). I'm trying to hold off to end of year so I can get a newer unit.

Trackball replacement on ebay - thoughts???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 06:25 AM
    how about cnn?? they selling it, too..
    04-19-09 07:47 AM
    Yeah, cnn.cn has longer shipping (look around, you'll see), but for the most part people seem pleased.

Ebay wise it's probably a hit or miss sort of thing - some trackballs will be a-ok, others, maybe not so much.
    04-19-09 08:17 AM
    Ordered mine on eBay... Worked great, but the replacements don't seem to hold up as well. It was a great investment to get me to the end of my contract.

Suggest getting a new silver ring too, as taking it on and off to clean makes it very prone to breaking a prong.

04-19-09 08:25 AM
    anyone know if the pearl trackball is the same size as the curve trackball???
    04-19-09 10:35 AM
    Yeah, cnn.cn has longer shipping (look around, you'll see), but for the most part people seem pleased.

Ebay wise it's probably a hit or miss sort of thing - some trackballs will be a-ok, others, maybe not so much.
    It depends on which shipping u opt for..Obviously if u order ONLY the trackball its not worth it,But when i ordered my parts to black it out,I got the 2 day shipping...Ordered on Friday and received parts on monday morning..
    04-19-09 10:40 AM
    This should take care of my slipping issue - and its a cheap fix

04-19-09 10:55 AM
    Yes I have replaced it about 3 times already in less than one yr. Unfortunately the trackball in the BB8310 is fragile and the ring comes out with nothing.
    04-19-09 11:29 AM
    If you have reversed scrolling, did you perhaps install your TB upside-down? Or even possibly reverse the rollers? I've heard of both of them happening before, and causing this.

04-19-09 12:13 PM
    i got mine from ebay and i didnt have any problems...just make sure the seller has a good amount of positive feedback and it should be fine!
    04-19-09 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD