I am getting ready to dye my trackball pink...

I don't know if I want to use fabric dye or a pink sharpie!
    Does anyone have any recommendations for one or the other??

I don't want it to rub off on my finger and I don't want it to wear off!

Thanks!
    06-17-09 02:45 PM
    Your best bet would be to use fabric dye, because the sharpie will wear off after a couple days.. but either way you do it it's gonna wear off, but the dye will definately last longer!
    06-17-09 02:47 PM
    Just search Crackberry dude. Check out the reviews for the Fabric Dye threads and then check the reviews for the Sharpie dyeing threads. That's all.
    06-17-09 02:52 PM
    Just search Crackberry dude. Check out the reviews for the Fabric Dye threads and then check the reviews for the Sharpie dyeing threads. That's all.
    where am I searching for Crackberry Dude? I just searched through the member list in here but didn't find anyone with posts...
    06-17-09 03:11 PM
    Your best bet would be to use fabric dye, because the sharpie will wear off after a couple days.. but either way you do it it's gonna wear off, but the dye will definately last longer!
    Both of these statements is untrue. Neither the sharpie or dye will wear off because the plastic is porous and will absorb the ink/dye. It will not come off.

This is why your ball turns brown and no matter what you use to clean it, it will still be brown, because the dirt/oils that have been absorbed into the ball will not come out.
    06-17-09 03:15 PM
    JOBR meant for you to use the "Search Forums" funtion and type "fabric dye." There are a bunch of threads listed.
    06-17-09 03:16 PM
    dying ur trackball is not a good idea imo.
    06-17-09 03:17 PM
    Both of these statements is untrue. Neither the sharpie or dye will wear off because the plastic is porous and will absorb the ink/dye. It will not come off.

This is why your ball turns brown and no matter what you use to clean it, it will still be brown, because the dirt/oils that have been absorbed into the ball will not come out.
    thank you!
    06-17-09 03:17 PM
    JOBR meant for you to use the "Search Forums" funtion and type "fabric dye." There are a bunch of threads listed.
    LOL now that I read it like that I get it

blonde moment.. thanks!
    06-17-09 03:18 PM

I should qualify this. Once you dye or color your ball with a sharpie, you can get a rag and wet it with rubbing alcohol. Wipe your ball with the wet rag until the color doesn't come off anymore. That is the only way to ensure that color doesn't come off your ball onto your finger.
    06-17-09 03:21 PM
    I should qualify this. Once you dye or color your ball with a sharpie, you can get a rag and wet it with rubbing alcohol. Wipe your ball with the wet rag until the color doesn't come off anymore. That is the only way to ensure that color doesn't come off your ball onto your finger.
    Well, I learned something ... I guess chemistry class isn't always that useful lol!
    06-17-09 03:27 PM
    you're a genius! Thanks!
    I'll post a picture after if I remember!

Xliderider, what do you recommend about dying the keyboard LEDs? I kinda want it to match.
    06-17-09 03:30 PM
    I'll post a picture after if I remember!

Xliderider, what do you recommend about dying the keyboard LEDs? I kinda want it to match.
    For the keyboard LEDs, most ppl use a small piece of tape colored with a Sharpie placed over the LEDs. It isn't recommended you color the LEDs directly with the Sharpie for obvious reasons.
    06-17-09 03:35 PM
    just swap it.
    06-17-09 03:47 PM
    just swap it.
    swap what?
    06-17-09 03:48 PM
    I think he meant to swap the keyboard for another coloured one
    06-17-09 03:54 PM
    Or swap the trackball to a colored one. Who knows?
    06-17-09 03:59 PM
    I have never tried dye but I can tell you I tried sharpie on the trackball housing and it lasted 3 days. Honestly, its not worth the effort to do either. I bought a black trackball from Amazon.(They sell other colors) It came to about $10 after shipping and I had it in 3 days. They also included the cover ring which is always good to have since it will eventually break if you remove the trackball enough. The new trackball also is a lot smoother than the original. Good luck.
    06-17-09 04:20 PM
    I have never tried dye but I can tell you I tried sharpie on the trackball housing and it lasted 3 days. Honestly, its not worth the effort to do either. I bought a black trackball from Amazon.(They sell other colors) It came to about $10 after shipping and I had it in 3 days. They also included the cover ring which is always good to have since it will eventually break if you remove the trackball enough. The new trackball also is a lot smoother than the original. Good luck.
    You mean the chrome ring? This isn't the same as coloring the trackball itself. the ring isn't porous like the trackball, and it is covered in a glossy hard-chrome finish.
    06-17-09 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD