This is a long post; thanks for enduring. I need some input to decide my direction.
    Ive read Kevin's posts and hundreds more for months. My mission: to await the Bold and the Storm, and to decide between the two.

I got the Bold on Day 1, and kept it for the weekend. It was great-fast, easy to use, and efficient for email and messaging. I returned it only because I wanted to see the storm. I got my Storm on Day 4. The learning curve is definitely longer for the Storm (both for its users and its creator). I used it a ton over Thanksgiving, and I have read most every post on tips and tricks. After adjusting many settings, I am smooth at navigating throughout. The large screen is beautiful. I can type well on SureType or QWERTY.

So, what's necessary, what's cool, and can I have it all? I personally need phone and messaging to work easily, and I think the media and web stuff is cool. As I compare my experience with the two devices. The main issue with the Storm is how cumbersome it is to initiate a call or message.

Phone calls: Bold wins.
    Storm: Green button (set to open contact list), open keyboard, type name, select contact, select which number for that contact, press the green send button. Its a lot of steps to make a call on my PHONE. Bold: Type name, wheel to the correct name and then number, and call with a wheel click.

Email and messaging-Storm wins for reading, Bold wins for sending.
    The Storms features of sorting or viewing by thread or author and swiping to go from message to message are very nice, and The Bold doesnt do this to my knowledge. But creating a message on the Storm, as with the phone call, takes way too many steps. Open email, click Compose, chose email (again, for some reason), type name, chose contact, chose address, and onward. With the Bold, I again start by typing the name, and its easy from there.

I've tried to love the Storm. I still want to. For my main needs though, its not winning YET. A keyboard on the home screen which acts like the Bolds would change the balance for me. I could start typing, see a list from my contacts, pick a name/number/address, and call immediately or launch a text or email. This would eliminate the very major advantages the Bold has over the Storm for my usage.

My questions for you all are these:
    Are these the kind of software changes which you would expect in an OS upgrade?
    Are these functions possible to build into a theme or a third party application?

Thanks for all your help, in the past and now. I have 23 days to decide.
    -Boiler
    11-30-08 10:41 PM
    Well I don't believe they will change the home screen to have a keyboard. There may be a 3rd party app with that feature, but prob not for a long time.as far as updates I think they have their hands full with trying to stop the lagging issues and freezing. That's usually what updates are known for, enhancing the software already on the phone.
    I personally go with the bold for now untill another round of the storm is released with all of the bugs fixed.
    But you can still hold out,I believe I heard dec 4th will bring an update to the storm. Do the update and see if it is still the same but I personally think you would be happier with the bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 10:53 PM
    It sounds like you want your Bold back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 11:49 PM
    I had the Bold twice. It's ok but I am a touchscreen fanatic.
    12-01-08 12:07 AM
    I'd like to get the Storm as a backup phone. But not even the Vodafone version (9500, NOT the Verizon 9530) does NOT have the 850/1900MHz 3G bands??? Why the #$%^&* is that???
    12-01-08 12:13 AM
    Thanks to those for responding.
    I don't see anything about themes, and I wonder if anything in a theme might make the Storm less cumbersome for initiating a call or message. I know it will be a while until they get built by the theming wizards; I am just looking for hope. I love many aspects of the Storm, so I wonder if those aspects I dislike are remediable.
    12-02-08 07:37 AM
    I'm a Bold fan boy, as I'm not that big on touch screens, but I feel your pain. I'm not sure if it's compatible yet, but is sounds like a program like Vlingo would solve most of your gripes with the storm.

Need to make a call? Hold button and say "Call John Smith mobile"

Need to send an email? Hold button and say "Send Email to John Smith. Message: Here is your email."

As I said, I'm not sure if it's compatible yet, but if it's not it will be soon.
    12-02-08 08:24 AM
    I really would LOVE to see PREDICTIVE text input! ARGHH! I'm tired of writing the same words over and over and over again. Is there an application I can BUY for that??

The BlackBerry's AutoText feature is better than nothing, but leaves much to be desired coming from my Treo's, which have always had it!

Don't get me wrong. I am in love with my Bold, and the BlackBerry platforum and OS, for that matter, so that is the ONLY app/feature, etc. that I do actively miss on a daily basis.
    12-03-08 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD