So I was wondering earlier today when I launched BBMaps, to see whether this app is using true GPS or not? Logically of course, it should be as it says "Searching for satellites," and so far, although I haven't used it much (3 locations only so far), it's been VERY accurate. I mean it even was accurate to which portion of the block I was on.

I've known from prior phones that Verizon does block GPS, for example on older BBs, unless you have VZ-Navigator. I called Verizon technical support to confirm this and although we did not have a clear discussion related to how the phone uses an application for maps, she did say that Verizon does NOT lock GPS on the Tour; but she furthered to say that whatever "mapping" is going on is being approximated via Cell towers. So she was not very clear, and said it would be better if I spoke with "BlackBerry," so I said okay, and she transferred me over.

I didn't ask if this was RIM, but the guy who answered with the distant and low volume sounding Spanish accent said "thank you for calling BlackBerry." Anyhow, he said yes the phone uses GPS, and you can use BBMaps to pull up locations.

So once and for all, I guess GPS is NOT locked on Verizon Tours.... right?? However, it seems like Google Maps is not based on GPS, but rather an approximation with cell towers.

Thanks for anyone who can confirm this or just straighten it out.
    07-27-09 04:52 PM
    So I was wondering earlier today when I launched BBMaps, to see whether this app is using true GPS or not? Logically of course, it should be as it says "Searching for satellites," and so far, although I haven't used it much (3 locations only so far), it's been VERY accurate. I mean it even was accurate to which portion of the block I was on.

I've known from prior phones that Verizon does block GPS, for example on older BBs, unless you have VZ-Navigator. I called Verizon technical support to confirm this and although we did not have a clear discussion related to how the phone uses an application for maps, she did say that Verizon does NOT lock GPS on the Tour; but she furthered to say that whatever "mapping" is going on is being approximated via Cell towers. So she was not very clear, and said it would be better if I spoke with "BlackBerry," so I said okay, and she transferred me over.

I didn't ask if this was RIM, but the guy who answered with the distant and low volume sounding Spanish accent said "thank you for calling BlackBerry." Anyhow, he said yes the phone uses GPS, and you can use BBMaps to pull up locations.

So once and for all, I guess GPS is NOT locked on Verizon Tours.... right?? However, it seems like Google Maps is not based on GPS, but rather an approximation with cell towers.

GPS is unlocked on the Tour. However, the Tour's GPS Services is initially set to E911 Only. To use GPS to its fullest you need to set GPS Services to Location On.

Launch Options, then proceed to Advanced Options, GPS and make your changes.
    07-27-09 04:59 PM
    Yep now I know for sure, and yes, it was set to LocationOn which I toggled myself but before I used BBMaps at all. I had enabled it to make sure send location would work on BBM 5.0, which it appears is still not working.

I had BBMaps up while I was driving on a residential street, and sure enough the map was moving along with my car and indicated 26mph, very close... as I was going about 30mph on the dot.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pblakk; 07-27-09 at 06:32 PM.
    07-27-09 06:29 PM
    does this drain the battery if its always set to location on?
    07-27-09 06:34 PM
    I used it while we were on some crazy back road in south carolina and it didn't pick anything up. I was just driving through whiteness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 06:36 PM
    does this drain the battery if its always set to location on?
    No, LocationOn will just let the application use the GPS if it needs to, so it's really application dependent on just how much it's being used, which'll determine your battery usage. Like how much you update UberTwitter or a similar app to send your location, or how long you follow navigation directions while driving or something, etc.

07-27-09 06:40 PM
    GPS is unlocked on the Tour. However, the Tour's GPS Services is initially set to E911 Only. To use GPS to its fullest you need to set GPS Services to Location On.

Launch Options, then proceed to Advanced Options, GPS and make your changes.
    Yea I barely found that out this morning when I downloaded Poynt and it advised me to do that for the most accurate reading. I was so relieved because I use Google maps also and my location wasn't that accurate but after I turned it on it was pinpoint accurate.

07-27-09 06:43 PM
    "I used it while we were on some crazy back road in south carolina and it didn't pick anything up. I was just driving through whiteness."

Sounds like it was tracking you, but couldn't download the appropriate maps.

I've used GPS on the Tour successfully with BBMaps, Google Maps, Poynt, and photo geotagging. Not everything works with the Tour yet, but those do. That's for all apps, not just GPS. I've tried a few that didn't, including the trig calculator I've had since my first Curve.
    07-27-09 06:51 PM
    Why download any gps or map, when bb maps does the same thing? Or am I wrong?
    07-27-09 08:05 PM
    Try turning on spoken direction in BB maps

07-27-09 08:10 PM

Didn't you answer your own question? You stated that when you used BB Maps it was VERY accurate. Well if you were only on cell tower triangulation you would have found that to be very INACCURATE. Furthermore, right on the bottom of the screen when you initialize BB Maps and have it "start GPS Navigation" It tells you how many SATELLITES it has found! How much more proof do you need?
    07-27-09 08:14 PM
    Battery life takes a substantial hit with GPS on.

With that said - out of the box, out of the store, GPS works and works beautifully on the Tour.
    07-27-09 08:49 PM
    Didn't you answer your own question? You stated that when you used BB Maps it was VERY accurate. Well if you were only on cell tower triangulation you would have found that to be very INACCURATE. Furthermore, right on the bottom of the screen when you initialize BB Maps and have it "start GPS Navigation" It tells you how many SATELLITES it has found! How much more proof do you need?
    Hehe, yeah I know, it was a bad post, mostly just spewing out... I was really wanting to confirm the GPS issues as it relates to the Verizon lawsuit surrounding the un-lo
    cking. I shoulda quit rambling and made it very specific.
    07-29-09 01:22 PM
    Why download any gps or map, when bb maps does the same thing? Or am I wrong?
    I have 3 map apps: BB Maps, Google Maps and Nav4All.

I use them for different things. I like BB Maps directions but I prefer Google Maps when I need a satellite image (like when I was in NYC and trying to find my way back to my hotel. I wasn't familiar with the street names but I could identify buildings.)

I'm still testing out Nav4All. It isn't the most user-friendly but I love the voice directions.
    07-29-09 01:49 PM
    Try turning on spoken direction in BB maps

Where is the option to do this?
    07-29-09 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD