Hi Have BB TOUR -Tried Motorola H790 headset (ONLY pkg not torn open at walmart)... VERY distorted even with both phone & headset turned all the way down -

SO, got a BlueAnt Z9i (only one sold at radioshack)...with this one- Phone volume is set to 100% by headset & volume control on phone will not work, VERY distorted - called Blueant, who told me the headset should set phone to 50% automatically & to call US Cellular because it was a phone prob... USC told me to call Blueant... AAAHHHhhhh -

Lookin to the BB community for help???

Just want a good clear headset (the lil wired one I got w/phone works better than these $80 (no tech support) things...I know I will buy online if I find one that works way cheaper :P - just wanted to TRY a couple.
    03-10-10 04:24 PM
    I haven't used a Z9i, but my Blueant V1 works well with my Tour. It doesn't fit my ear well, but the audio is not distorted.
    03-10-10 04:44 PM
    I bought a Z9i about the same time I got my Tour last August. It worked great for a few months and then the sound became very distorted and I could no longer turn off the headset. BlueAnt said the Tour was a big problem and to try the Z9i with another brand phone. It worked fine with a friends iPhone but remains unusable on my Tour. BlueAnt maintains that there is a big problem with Tours and most BT headsets will eventually stop working with it. Hard to believe, IMHO!

I have been using a Jawbone Icon which works very well except for short talk time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 03:07 AM
    The bluetooth on my Tour worked fine from August '09 till a few weeks ago. And then out of the blue, (no pun intended) it started dropping the connection with devices and/or not connecting at all. I thought the batteries in my headsets must have coincidentally failed at the same time? One headset a H700 was a few years old so, I just tossed it. The other one was a S9-HD 1yr and a week old. So, I called Motorola to inquire about warranty on the battery, they said sure! Well, until they found out it was a week out of warranty. Well, after I got off the phone I snapped the S9-HD in half.

Turns out it was the damn Tour was bad, but it took me a while to admit it. I ordered a brand new Z9i and it would not pair with the Tour. The Tour would find it and just call it an "Audio Device" I should've known something was wrong then. Because, whenever your device finds another bluetooth device it will say it found a "Z9i v1.1" or a "Jabra BT3030" not an "Audio Device" or a "Computer," so finally I performed simple process of elimination procedures. Sure wish I would've used process of elimination from the beginning, I'd still have my S9-HD!

After figuring out the Tour's bluetooth failed on me, I called Sprint. And wow, they sent me a new (refurb) in less than two days! Bluetooth paired up with my BlueAnt Z9i, my Jabra BT3030 and my PC they all work great. Now after a few days the Z9i is at times becoming unresponsive, the buttons on the Z9i stop working while paired to the Tour. But it still works for calls I just need to answer and hang up with the Tour. When this happens I too can't turn off the Z9i, until I un-pair by using the "Disconnect" option on the Tour and then I can turn off the Z9i. This has been a random issue, most of the time it's been fine and the buttons work. However, the Jabra has been functioning just fine. So, I called BlueAnt and they said the same to me that..."the BlueAnt and the Tour don't play well together."

What I wonder, is it just the Z9i that are having problems with the Tour? Take my prior bluetooth issue off the table and I've never had my Tour cripple a bluetooth devices functions. Moreover, I've noticed the volume on the Z9i cannot be controlled via the Tour, as well. And every other hands-free headset I've used w/the Tour (which is 7 including the Z9i) the volume can be controlled via the Tour.

What gives,
    Chris
    04-15-10 07:47 PM
    In my case it is only the Z9i with the problem. I have borrowed and tried a Jawbone Icon, Plantronics 975, Blackberry HS-500 and they all work fine. They all have different audio quality but nothing weird like the Z9i exhibits. IMO Blueant has a problem and they won't take responsibility for it. I would never buy another product from Blueant.
    04-15-10 10:25 PM
    In my case it is only the Z9i with the problem. I have borrowed and tried a Jawbone Icon, Plantronics 975, Blackberry HS-500 and they all work fine. They all have different audio quality but nothing weird like the Z9i exhibits. IMO Blueant has a problem and they won't take responsibility for it. I would never buy another product from Blueant.
    That's exactly what I was thinking! And the BlueAnt support lady just assured me that RIM would have to release a new OS to address this issue. She probably didn't like it much when I started laughing historically!

Anymore BlueAnt Z9i Tour users care to share their experiences?
    04-15-10 10:40 PM
    I'm all Googled out! I've been searching for this kind of an issue with other headsets and/or phone models. And this is what I've found two similar Tour/BlueAnt threads and one is the Q1...

BlueAnt Q1 Problems and Blueant Z9i and Tour looks like us Tour owners should steer clear of BlueAnt at least the Z9i for sure. Of course, until the condition is remedied via firmware update. RIM and/or BlueAnt?

My Z9i is acting up as stated by me here, so I may go back to the H700 as it worked very well, but it's old and outdated. I like the Z9i a lot, it just randomly renders itself almost useless while paired to my Tour!
    Last edited by SplinterCell; 04-16-10 at 01:59 PM.
    04-16-10 01:56 PM
    Sold the z9i because it was horrible with the berry.
    Went back to the plantronics pro. verizon sells it for 50.00.
    Best BT.
    It has to be the stack? on the device because the z9i worked fine with my moto q9m.
    04-16-10 02:02 PM
    Okay, I've emailed BlueAnt's tech support myself and I too have gotten the same response as Ed_H in post #3. Now I too find it hard to believe! I'm almost done trying too figure this out and am about to move on, since BlueAnt's story is it's BlackBerry's problem and their sticking to it!

So, my question is: Does anyone have any of these random issues defined in this thread with another headset and a Tour with 5.0 or the Storm 2 running 5.0?

---
    Here is the response from BlueAnt...

-----Original Message-----
    Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:17:50
    Subject: RE: Bad mic? Z9i

Hi Chris

As you know this is a specific issue with Blackberry tour (9630) and storm 2 phones using 5.0 OS, no updating of BlueAnt products will help as it's a fault with the phone.

I believe It occurs on almost all Bluetooth devices within anything from one weeks to two months of pairing with a Blackberry tour using 5.0.
    This is just based on the fact I have spoken with people using Jabra and Jawbones who have the same problem.
    I guess blackberry will have a more details about which products have issues with its software.

At this time the only thing we can suggest is using 4.7 until Blackberry resolve the problems with version 5.0 as that is where the fault lies.

Regards,

Blueant Support Team

---
    And here is my response...

I have no evidence that any other headset have any issues with my Tour or anyone's Tour. Moreover, I have done my own research and fact checking. As of now I have been running OS 4.7 for almost two days with no random issues regarding my Z9i. So obviously the bluetooth stack in 5.0 is causing a conflict with the BlueAnt headsets (Z9i for sure). Again, I have yet to find one article where someone claims these issues with any other headset besides a BlueAnt.

I really wanted to get the T1 when it's RTM, but may just get the HS500 and not worry about BlueAnt's conflict with BlackBerry.

And I'm not about to stick with 4.7 and lose all the features with 5.0 just to make my Z9i compatible. I will continue to test it out for a few days, but will upgrade back to 5.0 and toss the Z9i.

Humble regards,
    Chris
    --
    Sent from my BlackBerry Tour 9630 (Codename: Niagara) (OS: v5.0.0.484) on the Now Network

---
    I thought my first response to BlueAnt's reply looked almost rude? And it's not all their fault, BlueAnt headsets rock, just not with my BlackBerry.

Here is my second response to BlueAnt...

Just want to be sure that I let you guys know, you make some great headsets and the new T1 looks awesome! It's just unfortunate that BlueAnt and Tour's running 5.0 are having this conflict!

Best Regards,
    Chris
    --
    Sent from my BlackBerry Tour 9630 (Codename: Niagara) (OS: v5.0.0.484) on the Now Network
    Last edited by SplinterCell; 04-20-10 at 12:18 PM.
    04-20-10 12:02 PM
    Noticed they didn't say problems with plantronics. I went back to them and won't even think of other headsets. That being said I don't have the device or the os buts it's a lame response from blueant.

04-20-10 12:34 PM
    Noticed they didn't say problems with plantronics. I went back to them and won't even think of other headsets. That being said I don't have the device or the os buts it's a lame response from blueant.

Yeah, I'm probably just going to order BlackBerry's bluetooth headset, if it's incompatible with my Tour, then BlackBerry has some major issues!

Here is another response from BlueAnt and will try to contact BlackBerry so, wish me luck!

---
    Hi Chris
    Just to re-cap: the issues with the tour happen with all BlueAnt products:
    Q1, V1, Z9i etc
    And I've heard from consumers that called in it also occurs on Jabra's and
    Jawbones etc.
    We know that Blackberry know about the issue so if you contact them they
    should shed some light on it.
    Regards,
    Blueant Support Team

04-20-10 01:33 PM
    Okay, it seems as though 5.0.0.662 is working just fine with Bluetooth headsets, even my BlueAnt! I had some issues with my Sony Ericsson MW600 while on .643 and rather than going back to .484, I went out on limb and installed .662, my issues with the MW600 were cured and the Z9i works flawlessly as well.

It's been well over a week 2-3 battery cycles on the Z9i and no issues whatsoever! I use the MW600 everyday while working and the Jabra BT3030 while running at least 20 miles per week. Bluetooth has been working great, just like it was on 4.7 or my old 8330. If you have a Tour and are having these Bluetooth issues try 5.0.0.662 it works great for me!

Best regards,
    Chris
    05-19-10 10:06 AM
    Glad your Z9i is working again with your Tour. IF you have further problems I recommend the Plantronics 975 and Jawbone ICON. Both headsets work flawlessly with my Tour and have good customer service as well.
    05-19-10 01:43 PM
    Glad your Z9i is working again with your Tour. IF you have further problems I recommend the Plantronics 975 and Jawbone ICON. Both headsets work flawlessly with my Tour and have good customer service as well.
    Before .662 I thought about getting the BlackBerry HS-500, but the Z9i is working great now. To bad you didn't still have a Z9i, just to try with .662? I think? I remember reading somewhere you tossed it in one of the Z9i saga threads. Glad you found headsets that work well with your Tour.
    05-19-10 02:01 PM
    Well I'll just add my $.02 to this ......

My Tour bluetooth worked perfectly when running on OS 4.7 with my Motorola H700 and with my GM car since I got the Tour last July.

Upon upgrading to OS 5.0.484, the Tour WOULD NOT pair with the GM car ..... WOULD NOT. That same GM car pairs successfully with BB 8800, 8130, 8330, 9700, HTC Hero ...... don't think it's the car

When using Tour on 5.0 I got complaints of garbled audio, clicking noises in the background, high background noise when using headset (because the car will no longer pair) -- same headsets that worked perfectly with the same Tour on 4.7

Soon thereafter, the Motorola headset starting dropping calls. Deleted and tried to re-pair -- no luck. Tried several other Motorola headsets (H700's, H800's) which have worked perfectly with BB 8800, 8130, 8330, 8830, Tour OS 4.7, HTC Hero (no apparent problem with the headsets) ........ same problems -- takes many attempts to get it to pair, when (if) successful then will not stay connected for more than 20 seconds, says it's connected but it's not ......

Called Sprint Tech Support -- their solution -- go back to OS 4.7, they do not have any other fix for the bluetooth problems that are being reported with the Tour and OS 5.0. I did that, and the Tour paired and worked perfectly with the GM car and all the headsets ....

Hmmmm...

Go back to OS 5.0 on the Tour and the problems reappear. with .484 and .624.

Give up on the Tour bluetooth and use my Hero for calls from the car, and with the headsets -- the same ones that no longer work with the Tour and 5.0 but did work with the Tour and 4.7.

So my Bold 9650 arrives on Tuesday, I set it up, bluetooth pairs and works with GM car, and initially with H700. Yesterday, I paired it with 2 other H700 and H800. Today, no love with the headsets -- connection happens and then drops within 20 seconds. so now the Bold 9650 is behaving just like the Tour on 484 and 624.

So I ask you ....... these multiple bluetooth devices, cars and headsets, that have worked with many many blackberries, with Palms, with Sagas, with HTC's, with Tour 4.7, all won't work reliably with Tour 5.0 and now with Bold 5.0; Sprint says the issue is BB OS 5.0 go back to 4.7; reports in this thread of headset manufacturers saying it is BB's problem ......

where does the fickle finger of fate seem to be pointing??

Something has gone south in Waterloo with bluetooth
    Last edited by Go Blue; 05-20-10 at 08:58 AM.
    05-20-10 08:54 AM
    Before .662 I thought about getting the BlackBerry HS-500, but the Z9i is working great now. To bad you didn't still have a Z9i, just to try with .662? I think? I remember reading somewhere you tossed it in one of the Z9i saga threads. Glad you found headsets that work well with your Tour.
    Actually, I still have the Z9i so I'll give it another try and post back.
    05-20-10 10:08 AM
    I just replaced my Tour 9630 with Bold 9650. Sound quality on my Blueant Z9i is just awful. People on other end of conversations complain of loud background noise, static and/or feedback even when I use Max voice isolation. I am ready for a new BT device.
    08-07-10 11:17 AM
    I just replaced my Tour 9630 with Bold 9650. Sound quality on my Blueant Z9i is just awful. People on other end of conversations complain of loud background noise, static and/or feedback even when I use Max voice isolation. I am ready for a new BT device.
    Both the Jawbone ICON and Plantronics 975 work very well with the 9630 so I suspect they would also work well with the 9650.
    08-07-10 11:36 AM
    I replaced my Tour with the Bold 9650 as well. And my Z9i is working great. I'm running 5.0.0.699 and I know on my Tour some OSes were better than others with the Z9i.

08-07-10 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD