Hey all,
    As the Canadian launch day approaches, I'm just thinking of all the neat ways i can use my torch (once I get it).

How is the GPS? Has anyone installed a 3rd party Nav app on their device (if available)? I saw the video of the car suction mount and AT&T maps didnt look very impressive at all. Would you think it's a viable alternative for an actual gps? At the moment, I've retired my aged garmin and use google maps on my iphone to look at the map, void of directions.

Would it work in an area without cell service? Just wondering when I venture into cottage country or the US.

I appreciate your input
    09-18-10 05:07 PM
    I've tried my Torch with BB Maps and Google Maps. Both work fine, but no voice nav and you do need to have cell service to download the map tiles as you move about.

I haven't tried AT&T Maps/Nav and would prefer not to have to pay $10/month for the service.

I wish there was a good, inexpensive 3rd party navigation app that allowed you to pre-install the maps on the phone. I'm coming from Nokia and really miss Ovi Maps for this purpose.
    09-18-10 05:35 PM
    The car suction mount demo (AT&T) is a poor example. I have used GPS NAV (telenav) on my Bell Blackberry 8830 for a couple of years. It's good and speaks spoken street names. You can setup things like favourite locations via the Telenav Site. It can be displayed in 3D road view as well. Touch screen will make it even better for me.
    It's $10/mo though and some people don't like that.
    I would also like to try Garmin on the Torch when I get it. The last time (quite a while ago) that I tried Garmin on my 8830 it would not work. It does not work with Bell.
    09-18-10 07:27 PM
    The issue with Google maps is that its free. Free normally mean low to medium tech. I'm not getting the suction mount but I do use AT&T Nav 4 days a week for traffic updates and re-routes. In the end, gps is what you make of it.

Also, its funny how people say "Oh I'm not paying $10.00 for that service" but will go and spend a hundred to two hundred dollars on a gps unit and then turn right around and pay another hundred or so on the update. People please wake up. Use the gps from your provider (vz,att,tmo,sprt).

Last: I love Halo Reach
    09-18-10 11:49 PM
    Agreed. Dash-mounted GPS units are only for ******* or frequent road-trippers.
    Last edited by Bubbajerm; 03-18-11 at 12:14 PM.
    03-18-11 12:08 PM
    I use the torch + telmap navigation beta for free turn by turn gps. Works great.

Lifeinpocket is another free alternative, although not quite as good for voice turn by turn as telmap, but it has a bunch of other apps inside of it too.
    03-18-11 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD