BlackBerry Torch at Half Price After Only One Week

I don't want to sound like a doomsdayer, but this doesn't bode well for RIM at all. I really hope RIM can get its act together and win back users. I don't want to see RIM go under because I really like my BlackBerry and don't want to have to switch to something else should RIM go out of business and my BIS suddenly cease.
    08-16-10 11:32 PM
    I wonder if the no-commitment pricing is cut.
    08-16-10 11:54 PM
    It would have been an awesome phone in 2009. The slow speed of RIM development is hurting now. It's why my contract extension was only for a year to get a Bold for $170. I came back, but I am making sure I can leave again if something cool comes along.
    08-16-10 11:56 PM
    I think publicity is over-rated~

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 11:58 PM
    If RIM did go bankrupt, would our carriers offer us alternative phones since our Berries would become glorified beepers without BIS/BES?
    08-17-10 12:04 AM
    Didn't click link...is this on contract price or no-commitment?

08-17-10 12:29 AM
    I'm actually glad that this is happening because it's a huge wake up call for RIM. Now they have to hit the drawing boards and reconsider their vision. It's going to be interesting how they respond to this.

08-17-10 01:00 AM
    Guys, it a BS article, newegg and others are selling the Droid2 for $99.00, where's the article about the Droid2 being cut 50%?
    08-17-10 01:04 AM
    Guys, it a BS article, newegg and others are selling the Droid2 for $99.00, where's the article about the Droid2 being cut 50%?
    Google "Blackberry Torch Sales" and you'll come up with all kinds of reputable sources of articles saying that BlackBerry Torch is not selling well. I agree that Gizmodo may be a questionable source, but Wall Street Journal? Goldman Sachs? I don't think so, sounds like Torch is selling but its not sellling great. The Wall Street Journal article did suggest that BB users may be waiting for OS 6 to come to their exsiting device instead of upgrading. No negative news about the Droid 2 sales, when Googling "Droid 2 Sales". Indeed, lots of the talk of the Android selling huge.
    08-17-10 02:09 AM
    BlackBerry Torch at Half Price After Only One Week

I don't want to sound like a doomsdayer, but this doesn't bode well for RIM at all. I really hope RIM can get its act together and win back users. I don't want to see RIM go under because I really like my BlackBerry and don't want to have to switch to something else should RIM go out of business and my BIS suddenly cease.

1st of I would high doubt RIM is going anywhere.. I am a blackberry lover and can admit that they have dropped behind slightly in some aspects but still rank #1 for messaging and security features.

2nd-- do you really think that when a cell phone company gives away a free cell phone its hurting the maker of the device? RIM is getting their money for the device no matter what the carrier is selling the phone for. The carrier makes their money off the plans and services mainly.
    08-17-10 02:22 AM
    I'm copying and pasting this from another thread I posted in:

I just don't understand why this is such a big deal. This is good news for consumers. Unless you're an employee or shareholder of RIM, does it really matter to you what this means to them? Or is this just another way of claiming that one company is better than the other?

I really couldn't give less of a damn what kind of hit RIM will be taking from this, as they're probably not going bankrupt (need them to keep BIS running). Nor do I really care how well the 9800 is selling overall.
    08-17-10 02:26 AM
    Its being sold on AT&T ...... thats why its not selling. I know I wouldnt leave Verizon for it.
    08-17-10 02:27 AM
    Its being sold on AT&T ...... thats why its not selling. I know I wouldnt leave Verizon for it.
    Amen! Preach the Gospel!
    08-17-10 02:53 AM
    Google "Blackberry Torch Sales" and you'll come up with all kinds of reputable sources of articles saying that BlackBerry Torch is not selling well. I agree that Gizmodo may be a questionable source, but Wall Street Journal? Goldman Sachs? I don't think so, sounds like Torch is selling but its not sellling great. The Wall Street Journal article did suggest that BB users may be waiting for OS 6 to come to their exsiting device instead of upgrading. No negative news about the Droid 2 sales, when Googling "Droid 2 Sales". Indeed, lots of the talk of the Android selling huge.
    U completely missed my point, gizmodo is trying to say the price was dropped do to poor sales, that's BS since the droid2 is also selling for $99 which isn't hurting for sales. Now if it were selling for $99 on att.com or their ATT store then that would be news.

08-17-10 03:00 AM
    It's a big deal because if the Torch sells poorly, it's curtains for RIM. No RIM = no BIS. No BIS = glorified PDA.
    08-17-10 08:54 AM
    U completely missed my point, gizmodo is trying to say the price was dropped do to poor sales, that's BS since the droid2 is also selling for $99 which isn't hurting for sales. Now if it were selling for $99 on att.com or their ATT store then that would be news.

but you failed to believe that the torch was blackberry big phone to introduce OS6 and WAS being sold at the price for other high end smartphones. of course its not going to sell because people know about blackberry dated hardware. oooohh sweet droid 2 selling for $99.... duhh those are side selling sites, droid 2 is still 199 on verizon site also might i add the droid 2 isnt going to sell well anyway because the droid X just came out a month ago
    08-17-10 09:22 AM
    It's a big deal because if the Torch sells poorly, it's curtains for RIM. No RIM = no BIS. No BIS = glorified PDA.
    Really?

What about all those other Blackberries that are still selling?

The 9800 is not the only product they sell. Maybe RIM is hoping that the Torch will place them in the league with the Apples and Androids (even though it's painfully obvious that the phone is a product of 2 years ago), but it's hardly their sole lifeline.

08-17-10 09:33 AM
    how is it bs when walmart has it for $78?
    08-17-10 09:36 AM
    Seriously if it wasn't for Crackberry no many people would know of the Torch. the hype for the torch has come and gone within 24hrs of the launch. RIM failed big time
    08-17-10 09:39 AM

I highly doubt the Torch will be RIMs downfall if it becomes a huge failure. If several devices are huge failures than there might be a sticky situation. Even then, someone would probably just buy RIM.
    08-17-10 09:40 AM
    I highly doubt the Torch will be RIMs downfall if it becomes a huge failure. If several devices are huge failures than there might be a sticky situation. Even then, someone would probably just buy RIM.
    Yeah like the camshell, who's gonna buy that thing? RIM is headed the wrong way.
    08-17-10 09:45 AM
    08-17-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD