This. I'm not Canadian, but I really like BlackBerry and BB10. However BlackBerry the company has been pretty bad to us loyal customers. I bought the PlayBook week one for $699 based on what they said it was going to be and to help them get the new OS out. They didn't deliver nor made any effort to do anything for those of us who took the plunge. They also lied to move inventory at the fire sale pricing of the device. Then they told developers to abandon native and develop for Android and submit to Amazon's app store. I think it is clear that their focus is not, and has never been on the users of their phones, and now it is simply on making sure Prem see's ROI. I truly think they could care less if BB10 lives as long as they find something to make money.

How can you expect your customers, or Canadians in general, to show loyalty when you show no loyalty to them and will throw them under the bus if it is best for your bottom line?

Posted via CB10
    Sad but 100% TRUE!
    BB_Junky and Cynycl like this.
    02-01-15 01:39 PM
    Being Canadian is one of the factors I use to continue to stay with BlackBerry. The Canadian economy and jobs needs as much of a boost as it can get around this time.

It's not as if I am using a vastly inferior product only because I choose to support a Canadian company over an American or Korean/Taiwanese/Japanese one. There simply aren't enough benefits still to lure me to a Note 4 or an iPhone 6 from my Z30. That said, if fortunes were reversed and say, the iPhone or the Note are the Canadian products I would gladly switch over.

In 2015 smartphones are all too similar. They all make calls, connect to the internet, send emails and run apps. One may do it slightly better than the other, but I think choosing one for purely "logical" and "value" reasons is no longer valid. iPhones are hardly best bang for buck yet Apple has just had the best quarter of any company in the world in history.

It's an emotional purchase tied to intangibles - I really don't think Smartphone A is really much better than Smartphone B or will change the way I live my life or communicate. For me, supporting the Canadian economy and my friends who have worked at BlackBerry trump running X Android app a fraction of a second faster.
    02-01-15 01:41 PM
    Why don't Canadians use protectionism as well in Sports. Give the Leafs when they play at home against an American team 7 goals to start the game and put cement blocks behind their goalie. That would be fun to watch
    spike12 likes this.
    02-01-15 03:54 PM
    Hmmm. So no one in the US should by a Chevy truck because they are built by Canadians and every dollar that goes to their paychecks is lost?! Hmmm. And I shouldn't buy a BlackBerry phone because that money is lost?!

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is more important to the Canadian technology sector than any single U.S. tech company is to the American technology sector.
    Blackberry, along with the University of Waterloo have fostered a sizeable technology sector in the Waterloo area.
    Canada threw away a viable military aviation industry when it mothballed the Avro Arrow, due to pressure from the American industry.
    Once a small country loses a whole industry, chances are it will never come back.

Posted via CB10
    spike12 and terminatorx like this.
    02-01-15 04:58 PM
    Why don't Canadians use protectionism as well in Sports. Give the Leafs when they play at home against an American team 7 goals to start the game and put cement blocks behind their goalie. That would be fun to watch
    The game would still be close.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) and spike12 like this.
    02-01-15 05:34 PM
    Yes, you are absolutely right. Sorry I didn't mention a point about that.. I do notice from this board that there are A LOT of Americans who support and love BlackBerry. Even though I have no ties to BlackBerry, as a Canadian I really do appreciate that whenever I see posts from Americans who are using the devices.
    Yes, as an American, I absolutely LOVE AND SUPPORT BlackBerry! They make great looking and good quality smartphones!

Posted via CB10
    MissGiGi882 and terminatorx like this.
    02-02-15 08:21 AM
    With the recent weakening of the Canadian dollar to 0.78 USD, the drop in Oil prices that is really going to hurt Alberta, and where housing market sits(similar to where we were in the US before the 2008 crash) this is probably smart sentiment.

Have you seen any substantial inflation in the price of imported products (including cell phones) over the past 1-2 years?

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 08:26 AM
    In all fairness, they do whenever possible, which is quite normal and certainly to be expected: 'Buy American' laws creeping back, to Canada's chagrin - Business - CBC News I lived many years in both the U.S. and Canada and have found their legislated economic "protectionism" and patriotic buy campaigns to be remarkably similar. The major difference is that the U.S. has 10 times more population, making it very difficult for Canada to compete against their southern neighbour in almost everything except Hockey. LOL
    Most of those "protectionism" laws are about resources....

And as there isn't a smartphone made in the US that I know of.... not sure how there would ever be any "protectionism" laws that would discriminate against BlackBerry.

I think a little "protectionism" is a great thing, but too be honest I think it is foolish to ignore the realities of BlackBerry. The have been a poorly run company with little put into R&D (seven years to counter iOS??) and they make an inferior product that isn't very well received. Why should Canadians or the Canadian Government get involved in "supporting" such a (privately owned) company? It would be much different if you could point to some kind of discrimination that was the issue. But it's simple economics, the "new" BlackBerry platform is too small for developers (even Canadian ones) to bother with. And without Apps and Content, you don't have a Platform.

Fortunately for Canada, there are many that are seeing opportunities in BlackBerry's misfortunes. A number of companies are moving to the area to hire some of those talented engineers that BlackBerry let go. If you want to support something, support Silicon Valley North.
    BB_Junky likes this.
    02-02-15 09:30 AM
    I only support companies I believe in.

As a proud Canadian, consumer, and former Z10 owner, I can honestly say, BlackBerry does not make products or services that interest me. So, I see no need to support them.

Should I also be supporting Rogers, even though I'm currently on the far superior Bell Fibe TV service? Both are Canadian companies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Cynycl likes this.
    02-03-15 01:31 AM
    I think they should pass a law to make Blackberry ownership mandatory for all Canadians and raise all our taxes to make sure that every company in the country immediately develops a BB10 app. Then force all the Blackberries to display French and English at all times so every Canadian gets two copies of every notification.

It's just so Un-Canadian to permit people to think for themselves. We must put a stop to this nonsense tout de suite!
    02-03-15 10:33 AM
    I'm a proud Canadian and try to support as many things "Canadian" as possible. But please don't tell me I need to buy something that doesn't suit my lifestyle or personal needs just because it's Canadian.

What's Canadian about BlackBerry anyway?

When was the last time a product was exclusively launched in Canada? and not in other countries at the same time? Been a long time...
    Is a Canadian running the company? No, John Chen is not Canadian
    Are the devices made in Canada? Nope...
    02-03-15 11:26 AM
    I use to wear North Star shoes in the 70's until Converse (Dr. J High tops) and Nike came along and I've been wearing them in one form or another since the 80s. Putting a Maple Leaf logo on a product will not make Canadians buy them as the country was not really that Patriotic back then. We're all cocooned in our own provinces and various cultures. Coming from BC, I really didn't care that much about Ontario or Waterloo growing up and to some degree now. More so for a product as trivial as a phone.
    02-03-15 05:16 PM
    I'm a proud Canadian and try to support as many things "Canadian" as possible. But please don't tell me I need to buy something that doesn't suit my lifestyle or personal needs just because it's Canadian.

What's Canadian about BlackBerry anyway?

When was the last time a product was exclusively launched in Canada? and not in other countries at the same time? Been a long time...
    Is a Canadian running the company? No, John Chen is not Canadian
    Are the devices made in Canada? Nope...
    BlackBerry employs a lot more Canadian than the Toronto Blue Jays. Is the manager of the blue jays Canadian?

John Chen isn't the only employee of the company.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) and terminatorx like this.
    02-03-15 06:09 PM
63 123