i have also been extremely frustrated at the fact that TMobile does not allow access to all of these apps when on WiFi without having an actual data plan.

I did call TMobile just now and asked them to enable this "Blackberry Feature Enabler". She told me that this feature was really in place for the older Blackberrys so that they could do picture messaging and that it wouldn't do anything since I have a newer BB. I convinced her to try it anyways.

Well, I now have EDGE instead of edge but none of my apps work. Google Maps, App World, even IM, all complain that I need to activate a data plan.

I really don't want to pay $25 a month for that service. Ugh.
    06-16-09 11:40 AM
    i have also been extremely frustrated at the fact that TMobile does not allow access to all of these apps when on WiFi without having an actual data plan.

I did call TMobile just now and asked them to enable this "Blackberry Feature Enabler". She told me that this feature was really in place for the older Blackberrys so that they could do picture messaging and that it wouldn't do anything since I have a newer BB. I convinced her to try it anyways.

Well, I now have EDGE instead of edge but none of my apps work. Google Maps, App World, even IM, all complain that I need to activate a data plan.

I really don't want to pay $25 a month for that service. Ugh.
    Does AIM work? If not, call them again and tell them you need to use AIM, that's what worked for me. I would have thought that it was just a matter of turning services on or off, but it sounds like something wasn't done right.

Also make sure your browser is still "hotspots" and didn't change back to "tzones."
    06-16-09 12:16 PM
    just wondering -i pay an extra $10/month for wifi through tmo (but no bb or other data service) - so, are you all saying that you don't even have that AND cn access the web? (brand new 8220 user). thanks
    That's what I have and I can access the internet via WiFi without additional charge. I had to download Opera mini - the T-Mobile browser won't allow internet access, but Opera will.
    06-16-09 04:20 PM
    Some bad news... I was helping someone try get get BlackBerry Services enabled through T-Mobile customer service (BlackBerry Dept.) and the rep. told me that BlackBerry audited them and they are no longer allowed to enable full services. They have the ability to enable for MMS, but not AIM. This will still change uma/edge to UMA/EDGE but will not allow most applications to function (including maps, app world, etc.). Web browsing and downloading is possible while on uma/UMA when the browser is set to hotspot, but that's about it.

I argued that AIM is included in unlimited texting and it is unfair that it can't be enabled, but was told that enabling AIM allowed other functions (which I knew - that was the point).
    06-16-09 10:07 PM
    This is terrible news!!! Oh no! That $24.99 plan is looking sexier and sexier.
    06-16-09 10:58 PM
    This is terrible news!!! Oh no! That $24.99 plan is looking sexier and sexier.
    There is nothing sexy about having to pay $25 for internet on a mobile phone Especially when you might already be paying $50+ high speed internet at home.

Ya that's a total bummer that BB has put the hammer down. It is interesting that they won't even enable AIM because it allows you to use third party apps that normally require a data plan by design when BB feature enabler is enabled.

It really is pretty cheap of RIM to deny people the full use of their phone when they have an active internet connection on their phone...ie... WiFi.

If RIM is going to be this slimy, I'm not sure why any of their devices have WiFi to begin with. Or why they would allow people to purchase BB's without requiring the data plan.

I got this phone for the main reason that it had (what I thought was and was told by the Tmo salesdude) true WiFi. I have a wireless router at home and plenty of open WiFi connections in my hood. I can surf all I want and use SOME third party apps, but it sure would be nice to be able to download App World and actually purchase some cool apps.... oh well.

Boo Hoo RIM. Cheap way to make a little more cash...that's all it is.... $$$$
    06-19-09 05:04 PM
    Blackberry/RIM also implemented a change this month with T-Mobile that won't allow them to activate several models without a data plan. The 8220 was excluded though.

I wonder how much they get per activation, it must be a flat fee per activated line as everyone is still told you can cancel after 3 mos.
    06-19-09 09:14 PM
    I switched my browser settings from T-Mobile-->hotspot. But now whenever i get on the BB browser, it gives "connection failure". How did you guys download Opera Mini without using the BB browser?
    06-20-09 01:44 PM
    I switched my browser settings from T-Mobile-->hotspot. But now whenever i get on the BB browser, it gives "connection failure". How did you guys download Opera Mini without using the BB browser?
    That's strange....

Have you tried going to the Opera web site via your PC, then type in your number to have them send you the Opera mini download link via SMS text. As far as I remember, it does not have to launch the BB browser at all if you use the link they send you via text. Once you click on it, the Opera install begins, granted your WiFi connection is active.

Just make sure ALL the browser settings are correct also. When you go to Options>Advanced Options>Browser and change it to "hotspot browser", that should change it across the board....I think. Be sure to also check the options setting in the BB browser as well. Click on the BB browser, hit the menu key, go to Options and check the top two to make sure their set to "hotspot browser" as default.

After you install it, you'll see the red "O" in your downloads folder.

One more thing... I have yet to try it, but a lot of people are diggin' the Bolt Browser....

Bolt Browser

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Hoggles; 06-20-09 at 03:38 PM.
    06-20-09 03:26 PM
    Another option is to send a link from your phone for Windows Live Search: Bing for mobile

Whatever I can't do in Opera, I can do with Live Search.
    06-20-09 04:24 PM

Go into settings > options > mobile network and see if it says "mobile network only" or "mobile network preferred" under connection preference - if it does, select "wifi preferred" and try again.
    06-20-09 09:10 PM
    I was able to get T-mobile to activate the feature enabler and I changed the tcp settings, but no dice.

Any ideas?
    06-21-09 01:21 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD