As many others, I have issues/complaints with the slooooow internet browser on the flip, even when in WiFi mode.

Have been talking with TMo support the last few days. One of the suggestions, was to insure that my router at home be on channel 3 (it defaulted to channel 11).

At first, I was pretty skeptical to say the least.... BUT.....

I switched the router to channel 3, and, surprisingly, internet performance has improved quite a bit.... (!!!)

I was also having consistently dropped calls while calling in WiFi mode. The channel switch seems to have minimized this issue as well.

I have no clue if there really is a cause <--> effect here.... but....seems to have helped.

Be interested to hear from others if they experience the same thing, or if this helps them out (??????)
    07-29-09 08:40 PM
    who would want wifi or use wifi on the flip? more power to ya i guess
    07-29-09 11:51 PM
    i dont get what the point on what you said is..but its got wifi and it works for calls and faster speed downloads and surfing..so I WOULD and I do want to use wifi :P
    07-30-09 01:07 AM
    Are you kidding? You know some of us end up in areas with a very limited signal (my house for instance) and the only thing that saves us is the use of WiFi (UMA). It isn't just for playing you know.
    07-30-09 09:01 AM
    As many others, I have issues/complaints with the slooooow internet browser on the flip, even when in WiFi mode.

Have been talking with TMo support the last few days. One of the suggestions, was to insure that my router at home be on channel 3 (it defaulted to channel 11).

At first, I was pretty skeptical to say the least.... BUT.....

I switched the router to channel 3, and, surprisingly, internet performance has improved quite a bit.... (!!!)

I was also having consistently dropped calls while calling in WiFi mode. The channel switch seems to have minimized this issue as well.

I have no clue if there really is a cause <--> effect here.... but....seems to have helped.

Be interested to hear from others if they experience the same thing, or if this helps them out (??????)

i have been testing this channel 3 tip so far i notice good performance out of my phone and will keep testing it extensively ... thanks for the tip...ill let ya know if somehting comes up.
    07-30-09 09:42 AM
    Who would want it?

Anyone that has a need to connect at faster speeds and a desire to take advantage of a router (ever hear of a WiFi hot spot?) Thaat's like asking why you would ever want higher connection speeds to the internet....

Ever receive e-mails with attachments on your phone? Ever have a need to SEND a large e-mail from your phone? Ever had a legitimate need to connect to a business server while out of the office? Ever need to send a meeting notice with an attachment while out of the office? Ever need to use your BB in a building/locations void of GSM signals to conduct business?

Apparently not.

Who would use it? See above, but, apparently you don't have a need. All power to ya, I guess.

Sounds like the more appropriate question ref your comment is:

Why do YOU own a Blackberry? Sounds like a bare-bones Nokia would serve you well....Some of us actually got a BB because of the capability and the need to use its capabilities beyond the statement that "it's cool" or it "looks cool" or we're with the "in-crowd" because we have a BB.

This post was intended to maybe help some folks that actually use this device for the purpose it was intended and exercise this device to its advertised capabilities.
    07-30-09 10:23 AM
    That is an intriguing solution. Inquiring minds want to know, "why does it work?"

Maybe (probably) it's channel contention. Many routers ship with the channel defaulted to 6. I have neighbors on channels 6 and 11 with a distant neighbor on 4, so I've set my router to channel 1.
    FYI noobies, the channel bands are not unique. They overlap the center frequencies of 2 channels on each side. Channel 6 overlaps channels 4-8; Channel 1 overlaps 1-3; etc. Basically you want to be 5 channels away from any nearby routers. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are generally considered the only unique Wi-Fi channels.

Maybe it's the Flip's Wi-Fi antenna. As with all two-way radios, if the antenna is tuned for channel 3, it will get slightly lesser reception on all other channels.
    07-30-09 11:12 AM
    I,ve been on ch 6 using a cheap 15.00 netgear router with no issue's. But then again I'm using Bolt browser which is the fastest one out there. The built in browser is always slug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 12:08 PM
    Your joking right? This is the dumbest thing I've read today, btw I'm typing this using WiFi and checking my email on my flip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 12:15 PM
    Ok, stupid question, how do you change to channel 3?
    08-05-09 02:08 PM
    Ok, stupid question, how do you change to channel 3?
    The answer is *somewhat* router specific, but, generally, the apporach goes like this:

From a pooter that is connected to the router, you must have functionality available that allows you to get "into" the router. In my case, I log into the router using an internet browser, and navigate to the router's (home network) IP address, usually 192.168.0.1, or something close to that, assuming a Class C network, which I assume most home routers are set-up for.

You MAY need a userid and password, but once you get thru this exercise, you find yourself at the router "home page" or admin page, or.... you get the idea.

EDIT: IF your router was provided by your internet provider, and it is set up with a UID and password, and you can't remember it, or lost it, or you were never TOLD it from the beginning, a quick (yeah, right) call to your ISP should lead you to the login info you need.

On THAT screen, you need to find the appropriate router settings page, and you will most likely find a feature allowing you to change the "default" wireless/WiFi channel. In my case, it defaulted to channel 11.

Via a dropdown box, it allowed me to select channel 3 as the default.

Again, I am sure different routers may have diferent ways to do this, but I could see that most of them probably let you do it in this way, or some similiar variation of what I have trid to describe.

Hope this helps... (!)
    Last edited by grumpyaeroguy; 08-05-09 at 03:04 PM.
    08-05-09 03:02 PM
    UPDATE:

OK, so the internet speed issue is improved a LITTLE.

As of yesterday, WiFi calls started dropping like flys again.

frustrating ......especially the battery pull that i gotta do to get the phone back.
    08-05-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD