With any BB10 phone that has a removable battery, always shut down phone and wait for it to completely shut off past the black "BlackBerry" screen before pulling a battery. There is a good chance you will corrupt the os when pulling a battery on a running phone.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    People don't know this?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 09:10 AM
    I switch batteries on my Q10 on a daily basis (heavy user). I've never had any issues ripping out the battery while powered on.

Posted via Commodore 64
    05-26-14 10:13 AM
    I guess what all this means is it is just common sense to turn the phone off before pulling the battery. If you forget don't panic as more then likely you haven't hurt anything. If the phone is locked up and you CANNOT get to turn off your only recourse is to pull it with the phone hot. You won't be tele-ported to Blackberry hell and your phone 99.9% of the time will recover with no issues.

If your just going to change the battery out by all means turn it off first under common sense law.

Someone beat this dead horse.. Please..

lol.. Dang I'm going to go grill some stuff and then pull my own battery with me hot. Take that to the bank.. Happy holiday.. If you are or have served our military. Like many of us have or will.. THANKS!

Akawarrior...

Click...

Posted Via : z10 STL100-3 (2947/2274)
    Last edited by akawarrior; 05-27-14 at 01:02 AM.
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-26-14 10:24 AM
    I was referring to the battery being already removed. To drain any remaining voltage. The point being. If there is no power being applied to a phone or PC this method can be used without any harm being done. Thus starting up the operation from zero state. Because of the capacitance power held by internal electronic components it may have to be used to recover some error booted state. It happens with all complex electronics. TV's included.

Akawarrior...

Okay, got it. So I can remove battery on phone and dump cap power on phone also?... Cool!

05-26-14 03:40 PM
    Proof or is it just your guess? Any link from BlackBerry advising this?

#believeinfilm
    General consensus from thousands of beta testers... I'll try to get us written statement....

05-26-14 03:45 PM
    Warrior, Thanks for your service. And to all who serve and have served. We owe you all.

05-26-14 03:47 PM
    People don't know this?

Posted via CB10
    Too many don't....nobody ever told them. That's why I started this thread.

05-26-14 03:48 PM
    Shutting down first is best on a computer or BlackBerry 10 handset. It's less important on a 9930 or 9650 (the legacy models) because they're never really off even when you shut them 'off.' They're actually in a very low power state. I learned this right here on crackberry list: a 9930 is only 'off' when the battery is out. When a BB10 handset is turned off, it's really off.
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-26-14 04:49 PM
    NEVER DO THAT WITH YOUR PC. EVER. That's terribly detrimental to not only the hardware, but to the OS as well. The OS could be "frozen" but is still writing to the disc. That can cause corruption in the hard drive. Cutting your computer of power like this person stated can ruin PSU's, graphics cards, hard drives especially, and even the entire board. Never, EVER do that to a PC. As someone who has worked with PCs for a decade I can tell you this is a terrible "recommendation". If anything, as a total last resort, hold the power button on the front of your PC. It's a hard shutdown, but the OS will cease writing to the disk and prepare for shutdown no matter how "frozen" it appears to be.

TLDR: Never, EVER do as the post above recommended. It's unheard-of because it breaks things.

Posted via CB10
    What he was saying was to push the power button for 10 seconds once the pc has shut down and after you disconnect the plug. This does indeed do a cold boot. It drains the capacitors and forces the ram to completely clear. And yes this is safe and yes this can resolve issues...

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-26-14 04:57 PM
    Hmmm<< i dont think so as for me every time i clean up my device i do battery pull restart on the standby mode.. after that my device refreshed and no issues whatsoever..
    05-26-14 11:53 PM
    That's what makes Crackberry so dang cool is that everyone here has their own way of doing things with a Blackberry.
    You can then read about them and that will give you better choices to make your way of doing things. There is a lot of knowledge here from all kinds of background skills. How much better could we have it... Big thanks from me fellow Blackberry geeks & non-geeks alike. lol

Blackberry4Ever..
    Akawarrior..

Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-27-14 01:18 AM
    Warrior, Thanks for your service. And to all who serve and have served. We owe you all.

I think this is just making excuses for BB10 OS problems

Does any manufacturer advise this?

#believeinfilm
    05-27-14 02:38 AM
    Someday you will wish you listened...
    I switch my battery all the time without shutting it down... no issues. Anyone else have issues with this?

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 01:12 AM
38 12