I just got my first BB (was going to be the Storm, but decided that I did not like the touchscreen, so I got the Curve). I needed to transfer data from my Treo 700P to the Curve. Because I have the most updated version of the Palm desktop software, the BB device switcher would not work (a known problem, as reported on this board). So I downloaded Companionlink for the data transfer of my 1000+ contacts. To my delight, I learned that Companionlink actually does two way synching, so I can continue to use my Palm desktop instead of Outlook or a third party contacts manager. The two way synching does take a bit longer than a regular Palm hotsync. For me, a regular Palm hotsync would take about 2 minutes, and the Companionlink sync (after the first data transfer, which took about 15 minutes) takes 5-7 minutes, but I will gladly spare the extra minutes if it means that I can continue to use the contacts/calendar/task manager that works for me - Palm.

That said, I am delighted so far with my new Curve. I did have to spend 4 hours downloading and installing the new OS and BB desktop manager prior to transferring my data. Damn Verizon for shipping the Curve with such an old OS and software on it. Actually, the data transfer was easy after all that updating. And the email setup was much easier than with the Treo. I find that this phone is very intuitive. Although I have some shortcuts to learn, I think that it will be an easy transition from Treo to BB. Even better now that I can continue to use my Palm desktop!
    11-26-08 01:44 AM
    Thanks for the Palm link, I'll have to check that one out.

I just traded my Pearl for the Curve yesterday and I too am a little miffed at Verizon for selling a brand new phone with a 4.3 OS...
    11-26-08 07:54 AM
    Great tip... thanks for sharing.

Synchronize CRM or PIM data with handheld devices -- CompanionLink
    11-26-08 09:11 AM
    I have had a BB Curve for a year now, after several years using Treos. I really like the Curve, but here are the Treo features I miss:

1. Search feature: With BB, you can only search the name field in the address book. This is a lot less powerful than Palm where you can search for ANYTHING: Name, Street address, City, Phone Number (full or partial)...

2. Unknown number ringtone: Both devices can assign distinctive rings to specific contacts, but Palm can also assign a distinctive ring to 'unknown numbers'. BB treats general contacts in address book and Unknown numbers the same when ringing.

If anyone knows a way to overcome these 2 flaws on the Curve, please advise.

Thx.
    11-27-08 01:28 AM
    LuLu? Hang on, not THE LuLu?!
    11-27-08 05:40 AM
    Thanks for sharing LuLuu!

I was just looking for someone who had tried companion link. Do you still have a palm device in addition to your blackberry? I have to keep my Palm TX for work and I want to keep it as a backup in case something happens to my BB. I'm just curious if you can continue to sync a palm device with the palm desktop in addition to syncing with the BB.
    Thanks!
    12-12-08 12:37 AM
    For sure, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

CompanionLink is a great approach, at least for me. (See my response to a similar issue at the Palm Calendar on BlackBerry?
    topic.) I've been spreading the word in other similar topics here!
    Last edited by Ikester; 01-04-09 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
    01-04-09 03:38 PM
    Make a sticky for new users making the switch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 04:20 PM
    Making a Switch?
    Treo to Blackberry!
    What you need to understand is that the Blackberry Desktop Manager is more a high end sync program it is not a "pim" Personal Information Manager it is like Palms hotsnyc with more functions. What you do use it for is to sync your “pim” data with Outlook or a few others organizers like Outlook Express, Yahoo ect. Outlook is by far the most widely used. You aslo transfer Multimedia, load / unload apps. Also do upgrades and dowgrades. 3rd party app back up too.

Now if you want your data from your Treo / Palm device on to your BB device. You will need to snyc your palm device with Outlook using hotsnyc then snyc Outlook with your BB using BB DM. Most palm hotsnyc is setup to use the palm desktop. But you change the conduits to snyc with Outlook. You can find this option on the disk you got with the device or just download it. Palm - Support - Palm Desktop for Windows or use Chapura's PocketMirror. Once you have your “pim” data synced with Outlook it’s pretty easy from there. Now you need to sync your BB with Outlook BB DM will walk you through the set up.
    There is also a work around by using google snyc or yahoo for pim but that could be more headaches..
    What if you know longer have your Treo or Palm device. There are a few programs that you can Purchase to export the "pim” data from Palm Desktop and then Import them to BB DM
    PDAssistant merges your Outlook and Palm Desktop contacts
    companionlink software Synchronize CRM or PIM data with handheld devices -- CompanionLink

As far a multimedia mp3’s, avi’s photos ect. it should be simple if you have the right SD cards. Anything on your device memory you want make sure to move it to the SD card in your palm device. Then with a card reader you should be able to switch all data to your Pc and then to the card you will now use in the BB. Depending on which palm you had? The size of the cards change so hopefully you have adapters to get the data on a mirco SD
    01-05-09 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD