I think its funny how people on here think for Blackberry to succeed that Apple has to fail.

The best companies focus on themselves and let everyone chase them.

When Jobs came back to Apple, he said people think for Apple to be successful that Microsoft must fail. Thats not true. He then put a very specific plan in place and executed that plan. Then came the iPod and it took off from there.
    11-20-14 08:21 AM
    Travelling in Asia right now. Top end business types and middle class prefer the iPhone. Samsung has the largest market share by a large margin. In the past ten days, I have sighted one BlackBerry, a 9900.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-20-14 08:23 AM
    I never understood why people would like to stream music download the files, copy the code to the SD card and move it to a smartphone. This way Internet connection won't be needed >> saves battery

Also the ipod wasn't the first mp3 player and neither the best. Some friends of mine had one and they looked absolutely surprised after I've shown them how easy it is to put music on it (plug-in and drag drop done). No id or iTunes required.

There is no reason focusing on others.. companies should play to their own strength
    11-20-14 08:23 AM
    Streaming music on a monthly contract is still new to a lot of people, but this will become more and more popular, and people wont be relying on itunes.

Seems like Apple has readied itself for streaming services.

Much as I abhor iTunes, it's still the crown jewel of Apple's ecosystem, and I don't think its going anywhere from a content provision perspective. Heck, services like Disney Movies Anywhere seem to be tying into it even more.
    11-20-14 08:28 AM
    I never understood why people would like to stream music download the files, copy the code to the SD card and move it to a smartphone. This way Internet connection won't be needed >> saves battery

Also the ipod wasn't the first mp3 player and neither the best. Some friends of mine had one and they looked absolutely surprised after I've shown them how easy it is to put music on it (plug-in and drag drop done). No id or iTunes required.
    I'm old school -- I definitely prefer music local, but I certainly see why streaming is an attractive option. The breadth of offering across genres is fantastic, and for folks that like to discover/try music before purchasing, it is gold. Plus, several services allow for family use. Battery issues are not an issue when I have streamed for a couple reasons.

Most mp3 player aficionados concur that the iPod, as a standalone device, was not that unique, even with the internals. Paired with iTunes though (one stop shop and service portal), it was a great tool.
    11-20-14 08:36 AM
    Love them or hate them, it's hard to talk seriously about Apple's prodcuts going out of favor given their recent product releases and financial performance. You really need to get creative to make the negative business case on Apple at this point in time. What the future brings - well, we'll just have to see. But I think the Blackberry discussion needs to take place outside of the Apple sphere. BBRY will live or die almost completely outside of that sphere of influence. If we get lucky, we'll continue to see new and innovative hardware come from Blackberry. More likely, we will see new and innovative software and services come from Blackberry, that will put up a good fight with the other new and innovative software and services that come from their competitors. Just my $0.02.
    11-20-14 09:17 AM

There is no reason focusing on others.. companies should play to their own strength
    The one thing I hated about my iPhone was the hassle of itunes, but my friends loved it because it was 'easy'. It depends on the people and their ability with technology.

For me dragging and dropping my y 50gb of music (not all of it btw) onto the sd card and being able to access them at will is so much better. Ask an iPhone person to send you a song... lol

Posted via CB10
    Carrtman likes this.
    11-20-14 09:27 AM
    yeah right ..let me know when Blackberry will have $164 Billions in cash
    Time will tell. Any company can go under. Apple is not an exception to the rule. There is no exception. They may have the money now, they're doing good. That doesn't mean they couldn't suffer a significant loss in the future.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    thymaster likes this.
    11-20-14 09:54 AM
    Just say no to drugs.
    Eric Ton and MarsupilamiX like this.
    11-20-14 09:56 AM
    I remembered very well when Apple about to go bankrupt and it has not much money in the bank like BlackBerry has over 3 billions. Anyway, thanks to Bill G. of Microsoft gave 150 millions to Apple. Without Microsoft money Apple won't be where it is right now. BlackBerry has more chance than Apple back then because BlackBerry has over 3 billions in the bank. Now, more and more consumer start to wake up to the security issues since many people has been hacked their Iphone.

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine? I guess you're too young to remember when Apple almost went bankrupt. Sad that.

Now I'm not saying that Blackberry will ever be in Apple's current financial sphere, but don't for a moment think that Apple can't be shifted from its current position. There has been an erosion in Apple's market share and that could well continue. It may take more than Tim Cook coming out of the closet to stem the decline.

It may not happen tomorrow or even next year but it can and probably will happen.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-20-14 10:32 AM
    the keyboard acts as more than just a physical keyboard btw, which is something i'd call innovative...i'm not saying they're going to sell millions upon millions of passports you seem to be assuming that there is nothing innovative about the passport.

BB is more than just a seller of phones so any discussion of BB's survival should not be based on smartphones sales...
    11-20-14 10:33 AM
    The one thing I hated about my iPhone was the hassle of itunes, but my friends loved it because it was 'easy'. It depends on the people and their ability with technology.

For me dragging and dropping my y 50gb of music (not all of it btw) onto the sd card and being able to access them at will is so much better. Ask an iPhone person to send you a song... lol

Posted via CB10
    I'm not a fan of iTunes either, but it doesn't mean that people who use it are bad with technology. My biggest issue with iTunes is the interface. I'm sure if I spent time with it, that wouldn't necessarily be true.

There are apps that allow sharing between iPhone and other brands. Bump and Whatsapp come to mind.
    11-20-14 10:35 AM
    So innovation means that the slab needs to look radically different? How about thinner? Doesn't that require almost a complete redesign of the hardware or do they just squash everything? How about innovation in their retail customers experience? Does any other manufacturer have their own stores in all the right places? Try ordering another phone from a carrier and then walking into a retail outlet in another country for service.

If you're just looking at the smartphone slab then you're missing the big picture on innovation.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-20-14 10:41 AM
    i'd argue that it is you that is missing the point early2bed - you can use the keyboard to swipe up and down to scroll on long lists in a document or on a browser page. so the keyboard essentially can be used as a trackpad - is that not innovative?
    11-20-14 11:11 AM
    and regarding screen real estate, i'd argue that it is innovative as well.

'Academic research has shown that the optimal number of characters on a line in a book is 66 characters (most current rectangular smartphones show approx. 40 characters; the BlackBerry Passport will show 60 characters). The BlackBerry Passport offers its size and aspect ratio to accommodate these characters, making it the ideal device for reading e-books, viewing documents and browsing the web.'
    11-20-14 11:12 AM
    That...is a ridiculous article. FWIW, Apple is no where near experiencing a "reversal of fortune". That said, my sense is that they've lost some of that spark - but maybe that's a temporary thing.
    11-20-14 11:17 AM
    I reckon BlackBerry can and will gain market share once again, they're headed in the right direction, but as for Apple swinging the other way? I doubt it, Apple products are just nice, not forgetting that Apple has a great lineup of products and not just phones....
    11-20-14 11:33 AM
    The BlackBerry Passport offers its size and aspect ratio to accommodate these characters, making it the ideal device for reading e-books, viewing documents and browsing the web.'
    Yeah, but it's less than ideal for carrying around as a smartphone. That's why 90% of people aren't going to go for a smartphone as wide as a Passport.
    11-20-14 11:34 AM
    I remembered very well when Apple about to go bankrupt and it has not much money in the bank like BlackBerry has over 3 billions. Anyway, thanks to Bill G. of Microsoft gave 150 millions to Apple. Without Microsoft money Apple won't be where it is right now. BlackBerry has more chance than Apple back then because BlackBerry has over 3 billions in the bank. Now, more and more consumer start to wake up to the security issues since many people has been hacked their Iphone.
    No need for the (s) and the end of million and billion .

Just a friendly pointer.

? Z10
    11-20-14 11:41 AM
    Yeah, Gates is going to sue RubenDM over that statement. The things you read on CB.
    Well, laugh all you want but I have a friend that is being sued by a public person for posting something on an online forum that he couldn't back up with documentation so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that possibility. At the end of the day I replied with the my post to hopefully save someone from getting in trouble because it's really no skin off my nose. In case you didn't know - Your IP address is logged every time you're posting and in my friend's case they simply went and obtained a court order, showed up at the ISP with it and everything about the subscriber was handed over.
    11-20-14 12:34 PM
    People are confusing money with future success. A company, this goes for both Apple and BlackBerry, that have billions in cash are nothing without an idea. A company will never survive without an idea. Cash will just delay a company's fateful demise. You need both money and an idea to build a successful brand, you can't have one but not the other.

Superfly_FR and KingOfQwerty like this.
    11-20-14 12:42 PM
    yeah right ..let me know when Blackberry will have $164 Billions in cash
    It's (this article) not abouit market dominance; it's about brand perception.
    Once was a time that anything apple was gold. Then Samsung (and Android) inserted the doubt. And BlackBerry was "antiquated" to (most/part of) consumers' eyes.
    This is about to change.
    Scaling it on a market share POV is a 8ball game, yet I believe - IMHO - this can't be anything but positive
    11-20-14 12:54 PM
    Well, laugh all you want but I have a friend that is being sued by a public person for posting something on an online forum that he couldn't back up with documentation so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that possibility. At the end of the day I replied with the my post to hopefully save someone from getting in trouble because it's really no skin off my nose. In case you didn't know - Your IP address is logged every time you're posting and in my friend's case they simply went and obtained a court order, showed up at the ISP with it and everything about the subscriber was handed over.
    First, link to it or it's just another "I've got a friend" BS story. There must be a court record for every suit. Right?

Second, in the US, libel and slander are damn hard to prove. Were Gates to have been offended by the conjecture of why he, and the M$ board, helped Apple, then he'd have sued the countless websites that posited this idea when it happened. Here's one:

Microsoft’s move looked smart at the time. As Barry Ritholtz told me: “The goal was not a return on invested capital, but rather, to keep Apple’s competitive operating system viable so the antitrust folks would have a harder time proving Microsoft’s monopoly.

Worst Deal Ever: Microsoft's Apple Investment - Businessweek

Finally, I missed the mark using RuebenDM. It was mf1982. Sorry for the mistake.
    11-20-14 12:59 PM
    Thanks!

No need for the (s) and the end of million and billion .

Just a friendly pointer.

? Z10
    11-20-14 01:03 PM
    People are confusing money with future success. A company, this goes for both Apple and BlackBerry, that have billions in cash are nothing without an idea. A company will never survive without an idea. Cash will just delay a company's fateful demise. You need both money and an idea to build a successful brand, you can't have one but not the other.

But frigate loads of cash will delay any demise years longer and also dissuade any perception that a company is going bankrupt or being sold. Apple like many forward-looking companies invest a large amount into research, in Apples case measured in billions per year so just because eventually Iphones won't be the largest revenue producing line for Apple one can't predict it won't find success in many of the same areas that BB is also playing: enterprise services, IOT, auto and wearables. Cash also gives Apple the ability to acquire their way to success; Google with Android is an example of that.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-20-14 01:28 PM
331 12345 ...