I know that my phone does not automatically change the time when moving across time zones. After I move to a new time zone, can I turn off Time Source (Blackberry or Network) and physically set the time to the new current time? If I do this, will my Blackberry now show calendar appointments in the proper time for the current time zone or will it update the appointments as based on the original time zone?
    03-02-09 10:39 PM
    ha, i saw ur question and it made me think of a similar one myself.

i know for a fact if you change the timezone the calendar will change and that sucks...

can this be stopped anyone? i just want to change the time zone hour, not my apt hours.
    03-02-09 11:25 PM
    I think if you change JUST THE TIME, not the TIMEZONE, your appts will stick with the original time. (there are long discussions (arguments) on this issue)
    03-03-09 08:18 AM
    duh, i dont know why i didnt think of that... or maybe i did and wanted the timezone to be correct. as well.
    03-03-09 08:24 AM
    I think if you change JUST THE TIME, not the TIMEZONE, your appts will stick with the original time. (there are long discussions (arguments) on this issue)
    I have read a lot of the discussions but have never seen this option as a "fix". Doesn't this appear to "fix" the so-called problem with time zones?
    03-03-09 10:18 AM
    I have a full explanation of how BlackBerry handles timezones in my sig. Read that and if you still have questions, post them there. Be warned in advance, F2 and I disagree (but in a friendly way) on how timezones should be handled.
    03-03-09 08:02 PM
    Hey, Friend! (G)

And we are not the only ones either.

Okay, what's the time zoneS in Russia? Actually, I don't even know what it is in Wasilla! (g) So, if I were having lunch with "what's her name" and wanted to add it to my calendar for 12:15pm, I would just enter it as 12:15pm. Never had to find the TZ for up there. Fly there and my BB (after I set local time, anway) would have my lunch date without my even having to figure out what TZ I was in or planning on being in.

Now THOSE OTHER folks would set the appt for 12:15 but also go delving for the TZ for Wasilla so that it had the right tz. Now when they arrived, they would reset the TZ (Jeff, does that take care of the local time or does user have to set that, too?)

But, I admit, others disagree in a friendly (and some, in not so friendly) fashion.
    03-03-09 08:15 PM
    Setting the BB to the time zone for Wasilla makes the BlackBerry display Wasilla time, and shows your appointments in Wasilla time, assuming you sent them for Wasilla time. If you don't know the time zone where you're going, find out before you schedule your appointments!
    03-03-09 08:33 PM
    Hey, Friend! (G)

And we are not the only ones either.

Okay, what's the time zoneS in Russia? Actually, I don't even know what it is in Wasilla! (g) So, if I were having lunch with "what's her name" and wanted to add it to my calendar for 12:15pm, I would just enter it as 12:15pm. Never had to find the TZ for up there. Fly there and my BB (after I set local time, anway) would have my lunch date without my even having to figure out what TZ I was in or planning on being in.

Now THOSE OTHER folks would set the appt for 12:15 but also go delving for the TZ for Wasilla so that it had the right tz. Now when they arrived, they would reset the TZ (Jeff, does that take care of the local time or does user have to set that, too?)

But, I admit, others disagree in a friendly (and some, in not so friendly) fashion.
    Without getting in the middle of the disagreement, I plan to make my appointments at the given time (of the appropriate time zone). When I get to a different time zone I will manually change the time on my phone and all is perfect. My appointments will be right for that time zone and my calendar and today theme will work perfectly. When I get back home I will re-set the clock to the Blackberry time.
    This just sounds like a very simple and an easy way to use your BB all over the world!
    03-04-09 04:50 PM
    Without getting in the middle of the disagreement, I plan to make my appointments at the given time (of the appropriate time zone). When I get to a different time zone I will manually change the time on my phone and all is perfect. My appointments will be right for that time zone and my calendar and today theme will work perfectly. When I get back home I will re-set the clock to the Blackberry time.
    This just sounds like a very simple and an easy way to use your BB all over the world!
    You're almost right. Set the appointments at the given time in the appropriate time zone, then just manually change the time zone on your BlackBerry, not the time. That's how it's intended to work, all over the world. Perfectly.
    03-04-09 04:55 PM
    You're almost right. Set the appointments at the given time in the appropriate time zone, then just manually change the time zone on your BlackBerry, not the time. That's how it's intended to work, all over the world. Perfectly.
    But then the appointments are all out of wack. If a make an appointment at 9:00 in a different time zone, I just want to enter it as 9:00. When I get to that time zone my clock will be off, so I just change the clock (not the time zone) and all is well. If I change the time zone then the appointments will be off by the time zone difference (as the original appointments were made at the correct time for that zone) In your scenerio, I have to adjust my appointments based on my current time zone and when I make subsequent appointments I must allow for the change, which requires more work and a confusing calendar.
    Am I missing something?
    03-04-09 05:28 PM
    It's only confusing if you are trying to maintain the fiction that 9:00 am in the Eastern Time Zone is the same as 9:00 am in the Mountain Time Zone. It's not, and cannot be. If I have a 9:00 am MT telecon with the plant in Utah, I enter the time on my calendar in Florida as 9:00 am MT. When I save the appointment, the BlackBerry displays it as 11:00 am ET, because that's the Time Zone I'm in. 11:00 am ET is 9:00 am MT.

If I'm flying to Utah for an appointment, say at 9:00 am MT, I'll enter that on my BB as 9:00 am MT. When I save the appointment in ET, the BB will display it as 11:00 am, because that's when it is, in ET. When I arrive in Utah and change my Time Zone to MT, the appointment will be shown correctly as 9:00 am MT.

It may be slightly more work to enter appointments in the correct time zone, but it results in an unambiguous appointment calendar, not a confusing one.
    03-04-09 07:16 PM
    Am I missing something?
    Not really. I happen to disagree with Jeff. Not about how the calendar does work, but on how it should work. His instructions on how to properly set an appointment in another time zone work fine, it's the reasoning behind it that is flawed. I would love to see Time Zones disconnected from the calendar entirely. My calendar should not care what time zone I'm in. It should only be concerned with when my appointment is in relation to the currently set time.

I make a lot of appointments over the phone. If they need me there at 1400 on Tuesday, I should not have to ask them "1400 in what time zone?" or do any calculations and set my appointment at an offset time. The main reason for this is if my appointment is at 0600 EST, but shows as 0900 CST on my calendar, I'm much more likely to forget about the time difference and make plans to arrive at 0900, especially if the appointment is scheduled months in advance. Unless I open each appointment individually, the calendar does not show me what time zone they are scheduled for.

So, IMO, just because this is the way it currently works, does not mean it is the optimum way to do it.

/rant
    03-04-09 07:20 PM
    I do understand your point.
    However I like my fix better. I do appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 07:21 PM
    Not really. I happen to disagree with Jeff. Not about how the calendar does work, but on how it should work. ... So, IMO, just because this is the way it currently works, does not mean it is the optimum way to do it.
    /rant
    And I'll give you a resounding AMEN to that. Used as RIM intended, it works. It could and should work better.
    03-04-09 07:28 PM
    Well, because it is all so confusing... especially for those of us who schedule far in advance, I have a system that works for me until they do sever the ties of calendar and time zone. My fix? When I schedule an appoimtment while at my office in Utah that will actually occur in New York, I make a note in the appointment description that says: MTN TZ, or Eastern TZ.

No offense to you Jeff. It hurts my brain too much to have to do the math...
    03-04-09 07:37 PM
    No offense taken. Some of my coworkers use the same system. I'd be surprised if RIM ever severs the calendar from the clock/time zones. That would be too radical a change from their legacy systems, almost as bad as making a BlackBerry without a physical keyboard...
    03-04-09 07:55 PM
    No offense taken. Some of my coworkers use the same system. I'd be surprised if RIM ever severs the calendar from the clock/time zones. That would be too radical a change from their legacy systems, almost as bad as making a BlackBerry without a physical keyboard...
    Hah! Good point... I love my keyboard. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
    03-04-09 08:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD