I'm giving serious consideration to hanging up my BB and looking into going down the Android route.

There are several reasons for this, but mainly due to other handsets becoming far superior in overall specification. I really love the physical keyboard but just don't think that's enough to keep me anymore. Also the group of friends I have have all ditched their BB therefore I have almost no BBM contacts! (Poor me I know).

The bottom line is that as Apple and particularly Samsung seem to be producing amazing pieces of equipment, RIM seems like its stuck in the past.

Anyone else in a similar boat or have similar thoughts?
    06-10-12 03:32 PM
    If you're going to leave the family, be prepared for a long lonely journey into a wilderness of... Just kidding, it's only a phone WGAS, buy one...
    06-10-12 03:38 PM
    So what your saying is that you need a certain type of phone to fit in.
    Deu2e, Mr Bigs, tjseaman and 3 others like this.
    06-10-12 03:39 PM
    So try an Android based phone then. If you don't like it, switch back.
    jegs2 likes this.
    06-10-12 03:44 PM
    No I'm not considering leaving with a potentially great BB coming this Fall. If I was thinking of leaving, I wouldn't talk about it here. I would just leave.

Anyway Apple hardware is nothing special and Android specs are hot because Android is so inefficient.

If you really need a front facing camera at the cost of great voice call performance and don't care about a little light keeping you informed of messages, then leave.
    06-10-12 03:45 PM
    Trust from my experience: You may get a non-bb device, you may love your non-bb device, you may not use a bb for a few months or a couple years, but one does not simply leave the BB family . Especially the CRACKBERRY family! And especially with BB10 on the horizon.
    06-10-12 03:46 PM
    Its not about fitting in, its about getting a mobile phone in 2012. I think BB are now well behind the rest. I move reluctantly but see no real advances on the horizon. Thanks
    hispanola and phonejunky like this.
    06-10-12 03:47 PM
    Trust from my experience: You may get a non-bb device, you may love your non-bb device, you may not use a bb for a few months or a couple years, but one does not simply leave the BB family . Especially the CRACKBERRY family! And especially with BB10 on the horizon.
    This^. Lots of us have non-BB devices along with our Blackberries. Nothing wrong with that. They are shiny and new, do a lot of great things, and do have a place in the smartphone market. However, leaving the Crackberry family is another animal and most of us who have tried have come back on our hands and knees. Trust me.
    06-10-12 03:49 PM
    Its not about fitting in, its about getting a mobile phone in 2012. I think BB are now well behind the rest. I move reluctantly but see no real advances on the horizon. Thanks
    What are your thoughts on BB10?
    06-10-12 03:50 PM
    So what your saying is that you need a certain type of phone to fit in.

A comment to underscore your comment: If the OP needs a certain brand of phone to impress his friends, he needs new friends not a new phone.

I never understood people stating the lack of bbm contacts for being a reason for leaving BB. BB is perfectly capable of using SMS and a host of other IM clients.

Probably just a troll thread anyway.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    Mr Bigs, shaleem, tjseaman and 1 others like this.
    06-10-12 03:54 PM
    Would not be too hung up on specs.... I use BB because I find it functional for what I do.... When a client asks me when should they upgrade their computer I answer with a question.... does you computer do everything you want it to do.... if the answer is yes then why upgrade... if it does not then I will be happy to direct them where to buy " the latest and greatest".... it is same principal I use for all my elctronics....
    Thunderbuck and Cesare21 like this.
    06-10-12 04:00 PM
    No I'm not considering leaving with a potentially great BB coming this Fall. If I was thinking of leaving, I wouldn't talk about it here. I would just leave.

Anyway Apple hardware is nothing special and Android specs are hot because Android is so inefficient.

If you really need a front facing camera at the cost of great voice call performance and don't care about a little light keeping you informed of messages, then leave.

You know a lot of Androids have LED notifications, right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-10-12 04:12 PM
    one does not simply leave the BB family . Especially the CRACKBERRY family! .
    That's definitely a double-edged sword...
    06-10-12 04:16 PM
    Since my family are all on 'other' devices, BBM is not an issue for me, as I keep in touch with SMS... No big deal.. I do have some friends that are on BBM, so I use that also. I really don't care what type of phone or tablet they use, as it's best for them.

I'm not ready to leave the Blackberry for a very long time, as I did alot of research before I purchased, and security was "MY" BIG concern. I am very happy with BB's and it works for me.
    Stewartj1 and zar1964 like this.
    06-10-12 04:17 PM
    Would not be too hung up on specs.... I use BB because I find it functional for what I do.... When a client asks me when should they upgrade their computer I answer with a question.... does you computer do everything you want it to do.... if the answer is yes then why upgrade... if it does not then I will be happy to direct them where to buy " the latest and greatest".... it is same principal I use for all my elctronics....
    This is a great response. I hear often people saying that the specs on bbs don't compare to Android or Apple devices. But if the phone still suits your needs, then you really don't need the higher specd phones. I am a perfect example of that. I have had dozens of "highly specd" phones and have been able to be just as productive with my 8330 as I have ever been with my other "superior" devices. I think some of us have been suckered into thinking that we need more than what we do. As long as I can make phone calls,text, email, BBM, have a calendar that syncs with Google, social networking, light web browsing, and have a functional turn by turn bavigation app, there is really nothing else that I need. And I can do all of these things with my 8330. So why would I worry about what new things are coming out? The likely hood is that I will use the new phone in the exact same manner. Doesn't seem to be worth the money to upgrade.
    06-10-12 04:33 PM
    What's the data usage like on Android? I did away with Internet service at work (my own business) because I can bridge my PB to my phone, and I've never used more than 400 MB in a month. But I think that with the same amount of browsing on Android, you'll use a lot more bandwidth.

I also wouldn't trust an Android phone with wireless banking. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    06-10-12 04:34 PM
    Thanks for all these responses, its a good debate.

To answer a few issues,

1, I aint no troll, and this is not a troll thread, its a serious question / issue I and others are facing and the amount of immediate responses tells me its a key and current issue.

2, I don't know enough about BB10 to make a decent comment. I'm fairly ignorant of future releases, although I am concerened as to RIMs current financial state and its ability to pump much money into research and development etc.

3, The issue of high specs and whether or not some of these functions are required is a good and very valid point.

I was very happy with my BB and I was close to getting a 9900. I pulled out when I read a lot of reports about RIMs financial position and uncertainty for the future development. I do however believe the 9900 is still overpriced for what you appear to get for your money compared to Samsung S3 for example.

A good point also mentioned above is security. Why would banking with my BB be more secure than banking with an android / iOS device?. Is this actual fact or scare tactics?.
    WAJ1 likes this.
    06-10-12 04:53 PM
    Behind in which way? They are still way better communication devices ( their primary purpose) than iPhones for sure! I have no experience with Androids but I'm sure they're substandard to BB for communications. Media plays great on the newer BBs and a real keyboard has no competition from any of the touch screen devices...... So, if you are that impatient to move to a lesser device to fall behind with your friends then, bye and enjoy your short lived enjoyment!

06-10-12 04:54 PM
    Behind in which way? They are still way better communication devices ( their primary purpose) than iPhones for sure! I have no experience with Androids but I'm sure they're substandard to BB for communications. Media plays great on the newer BBs and a real keyboard has no competition from any of the touch screen devices...... So, if you are that impatient to move to a lesser device to fall behind with your friends then, bye and enjoy your short lived enjoyment!
    I have no complaints on the communication abilities on my android device, with the obvious exception of bbm. I use even more methods of communication than I did on my bb, again sans bbm of course. I can knock out emails, texts, and IMs with the best of them. I know perhaps I might be the exception to the rule, but I prefer the stock htc keyboard to a physical one. It's simply the one keyboard I feel the most productive on.
    06-10-12 05:07 PM

A good point also mentioned above is security. Why would banking with my BB be more secure than banking with an android / iOS device?. Is this actual fact or scare tactics?.
    There is definitely malware disguised as legitimate apps floating around Android Market. I honestly don't know the extent of the problem, but I do know that Android phones present special challenges to IT depts that are trying to make BYOD work without compromising security. Like I said, I may be paranoid, but I keep my BB encrypted and I do wireless banking only on my phone or on the PB bridged to my phone.
    06-10-12 05:10 PM
    I switched to Android. I lasted a month and ended up coming back. Even now, I have a Curve 3G (my previous BB was a Bold 9900) and I wouldn't give it up for any Android phone.

You'll miss it more than anything and will come running back. BlackBerry is something special. It really is.
    06-10-12 05:18 PM
    the new samsungs looks really nice, i gotta agree on that. my last phone was a samsung wave, a full touch, and i hated it so intense!! typing sucked on it, it was impossible for me to type just one letter at a time. my sausage-fingers always hit like 3-4 letters a time every time. thats the main reason i bought my bold9900, and if im not getting a blackberry next time im byuing the cheapest nokia, they can survive a nuclear war!!

another reason to stay on blackberry is the all the safety stuff. they really take care of your privacy, and i promise you that iphone/apple does not!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-10-12 05:25 PM
    I had the same feelings. Tried Android for 10 months. Happy to be back with BlackBerry.
    06-10-12 05:37 PM
    I have no complaints on the communication abilities on my android device, with the obvious exception of bbm. I use even more methods of communication than I did on my bb, again sans bbm of course. I can knock out emails, texts, and IMs with the best of them. I know perhaps I might be the exception to the rule, but I prefer the stock htc keyboard to a physical one. It's simply the one keyboard I feel the most productive on.
    I agree with the HTC keyboard comment.
    HTC had a GREAT keyboard.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-10-12 05:44 PM
    Are you still using a 8520? Thats like OS 5 right?

In 2012, a Curve 8520 is definitely behind the rest. Have you tried an OS 7 device? I would give a Bold 9900/9930 a try before completely writing off Blackberry. Its a HUGE upgrade from a 8520.
    06-10-12 05:46 PM
191 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD