PLEASE NOTE: this thread was not created to start any brand wars, it is just a collection of my opinions - the short version: I'm bored of iPhone, fancied a change

So I'm still an iPhone 3G user, it has served me well over the years but the battery barely lasts the working hours of the day and the browser is slow to me now. I skipped iPhone 4 due to the reported design issues and I'm not sure about the glass front and back so I've patiently waited on iPhone 5.

In between the waiting I've tried many android devices but hate the messy OS, windows 7 is good but not quite there yet - if anything their just straight up copying apples structure. Blackberrys on the other hand have kept my girlfriend happy for sometime now but have always seemed a little slow to me, a little dull - this changed when using the 9900.

After waiting out iPhone 5 and not getting it + the stomach turning �600 price tag for 32gb 4s I've decided to get off the Apple train and get me a 9900 and 32gb micro sd card (�450 all in). Fingers crossed it's a good move....

*Dont get me wrong, apple make some amazing tech and I'm loving my iPad 2 right now but I'm very bored of staring at iOS after 4yrs and the quality control is something of a let down I can tell you (but I won't). I really don't think I'll miss the bells and whistles and I'm not really into apps and mobile gaming, just email and browsing. Oh and I can't wait to have......a notification led! I'm hoping to steal the missus Playbook to bridge with the 9900 while out and about, maybe the iPad will see eBay soon?!
    Last edited by Jimmy_UK; 10-08-11 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Added NOTE at top of post
    10-07-11 05:57 PM
    �450 with 32gb card is a good price, where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-11 06:10 PM
    Welcome to the forums! The iPhone is a great device and I can understand why you like it and also why you're frustrated. Have you got yourself a 9900 yet?
    10-07-11 06:37 PM
    Always a surprise to see an apple fan come over to the dark side. Welcome.
    10-07-11 07:23 PM
    If you're a iP3G user and were let down by the 4S I wanna know what you expected.
    10-08-11 12:55 AM
    If you're a iP3G user and were let down by the 4S I wanna know what you expected.
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't been living under a rock as soon as he got his 3G.
    10-08-11 01:34 AM
    Welcome!!!

BB FTW!!!!!

10-08-11 03:00 AM
    �450 with 32gb card is a good price, where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

Slightly bent the truth as I had Amazon vouchers totalling �35 so it would have been �485 real money. Still over �100 cheaper than 32gb iPhone 4s.

I bought into the iPhone 5 rumours and wanted the larger, redesigned aluminium backed phone.

I like how the 3G sits in my hand with it's curved back, I like that I can drop it many times on any surface and it has survived without a scratch.

The iPhone 4 does not sit nicely in the hand, it appears to be very fragile if dropped and having seen first hand how holding the phone drops the signal to nothing and screens with light bleed and yellow spots (this was at launch so its issues may well have been fixed) - well the iPhone 4s is the same design.

Yes I think it's strong qualities are still a fast browser, good camera (only in good light mind), helpful customer service and it retains resale value but I was hoping for that rumoured redesign and not getting one leads me to believe that Apple will be changing ALL of it's product range come 2012 to something completely new in order to stay fresh.

I can't bring myself to spend �600 on a phone that will slightly disappoint once the iPhone 5 I did want launches next year and I won't be buying as I can't afford it. Then there will be iPad 3 enticing me with retina display and siri etc etc. Gotta get if this candy technology and start eating a little healthier with some good working technology that's a little more understated.

The 9900 will do what I need like email and calls, I can browse faster than my 3G and the camera is good enough for the occasion I don't have a real camera to hand. But I'm gaining a keyboard, led notification, bridge, crackberry forums, bbm with the missus and I feel I need to grow up a little and not have toys like game apps I get bored of in a day and to not keep riding the apple train to the next "gotta have" product because I'm a sucker for it and always get caught up in it.
    Last edited by Jimmy_UK; 10-08-11 at 03:47 AM.
    10-08-11 03:26 AM
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't been living under a rock as soon as he got his 3G.
    Are you implying there should have been more updates? If so, enlighten me. If not, enlighten me on exactly what you mean.
    10-08-11 03:39 AM
    Slightly bent the truth as I had Amazon vouchers totalling �35 so it would have been �485 real money. Still over �100 cheaper than 32gb iPhone 4s.

I bought into the iPhone 5 rumours and wanted the larger, redesigned aluminium backed phone.

I like how the 3G sits in my hand with it's curved back, I like that I can drop it many times on any surface and it has survived without a scratch.

The iPhone 4 does not sit nicely in the hand, it appears to be very fragile if dropped and having seen first hand how holding the phone drops the signal to nothing and screens with light bleed and yellow spots - well the iPhone 4s is the same design.

Yes I think it's strong qualities are still a fast browser, good camera (only in good light mind), helpful customer service and it retains resale value but I was hoping for that rumoured redesign and not getting one leads me to believe that Apple will be changing ALL of it's product range to something completely new in order to stay fresh.

I can't bring myself to spend �600 on a phone that will slightly disappoint once the iPhone 5 I did want launches next year and I won't be buying as I can't afford it. Then there will be iPad 3 enticing me with retina display and siri etc etc. Gotta get if this candy technology and start eating a little healthier with some good working technology that's a littl more understated.
    To each his own. But the antennae issue is fixed in that the 4S intelligently switches between its two different antennae to maintain signal. Also, the new camera has a wider aperture allowing more light in for photos and video so you can imagine that with an improved camera and better technology, the low-light image quality will be much better. AppleCare+ would cover your phone in any instance that you drop it or any other accident effects it.
    10-08-11 03:45 AM
    I don't want to be trapped to looking like I'm an Apple hater with the opinions I write. I like Apple products but Im starting to have reasons that there not for me anymore.

@Dalton4L

It is yet to be see if the antenna is fixed with switching - to start with there was no problem with the iPhone 4 antenna until the press put pressure on. This made me angry, even today people will say it was a bunch of nothing but I've seen it first hand.

With regard to AppleCare+ there is no way I'm spending more money to compensate for the fact the iPhone 4 is fragile by design.

I have to admit the camera looks great and it's the one thing I wish RIM had done better on the 9900. But as Ive said I've lived with the 3G all these years and the camera is pish poor so the 9900 will bring a large improvement.

I guess I feel don't need to be on the bleeding edge any more and well I just fancy a change if I'm honest.
    Last edited by Jimmy_UK; 10-08-11 at 04:03 AM.
    10-08-11 03:53 AM
    I like my Torch 9810.
    10-08-11 03:59 AM
    Welcome to the forums! The iPhone is a great device and I can understand why you like it and also why you're frustrated. Have you got yourself a 9900 yet?
    Hi, it was supposed to be delivered today but Amazon messed up and have no stock so I have no definite date now. Hope this is not a sign.....

I like my Torch 9810.

My girlfriend went from 9700 to 9800 and loves it. I must admit the extra real-estate is a nice feature. I couldn't get the 9810 because of the silver back, my hands seem to melt anything painted silver!
    Last edited by Jimmy_UK; 10-08-11 at 04:16 AM.
    10-08-11 04:11 AM
    My girlfriend went from 9700 to 9800 and loves it. I must admit the extra real-estate is a nice feature. I couldn't get the 9810 because of the silver back, my hands seem to melt anything painted silver!
    You could have just bought a 9800 backcover and replaced it on the 9810, you goof
    5$ on ebay.
    10-08-11 04:50 AM
    You could have just bought a 9800 backcover and replaced it on the 9810, you goof
    5$ on ebay.
    Ok true, but more expense and the bold is king!

10-08-11 05:21 AM
    Ok true, but more expense and the bold is king!

The Bold is and always will be king!!!!!!!!

10-08-11 05:29 AM
    Ah maybe I won't a BB user yet as Amazon don't seem to know when they will have stock available as my delivery date keeps slipping!

It's like I should have ordered an iPhone.....

Something isn't right with Amazon and they said they'd had a technical glitch - currently my order went from today, to Monday and now Wednesday but there website says this:

"Want guaranteed delivery by Monday, October 10? Order it in the next 24 hours and 32 minutes, and choose One-Day Delivery at checkout. See Details"

Eh? They don't post out on Sundays? And how come mine has slipped to Wednesday when I'm a Prime customer? This is the first time Amazon has let me down.
    Last edited by Jimmy_UK; 10-08-11 at 06:30 AM.
    10-08-11 06:24 AM
    Always a surprise to see an apple fan come over to from the dark side. Welcome.
    Fixed that for ya!

Oh... and welcome to BB OP.

I similarly gave up on a 3GS coz the battery wouldn't last the day. I was sitting at my desk one day looking at my deskphone cord... and the iPhone power cord perma-tied to my 3GS... and decided I ought to buy myself a mobile phone.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-08-11 at 09:20 AM.
    10-08-11 09:16 AM
    IOS 5 is smoking - it's the couple of things I missed from Android I no longer care about. As far as the design of the iPhone 4, I dropped it onto the concrete stockroom floop from shoulder height without a case on it. At all. Not even a mark - well there is a tiny, tiny little ding on the metal band. Oh and it went face down on a gravel path and slid with my weight on it for about a foot and all it got was a small cosmetic scratch that you can't even see unless you look for it (I love the white one).

Any phone, even the gorilla glassed Galaxy S, will break if it lands wrong.

I don't regret my iPhone 4, and I had the same misgivings about the glass front and back. I worried over nothing.
    avt123 likes this.
    10-08-11 09:40 AM
    IOS 5 is smoking - it's the couple of things I missed from Android I no longer care about. As far as the design of the iPhone 4, I dropped it onto the concrete stockroom floop from shoulder height without a case on it. At all. Not even a mark - well there is a tiny, tiny little ding on the metal band. Oh and it went face down on a gravel path and slid with my weight on it for about a foot and all it got was a small cosmetic scratch that you can't even see unless you look for it (I love the white one).

Any phone, even the gorilla glassed Galaxy S, will break if it lands wrong.

I don't regret my iPhone 4, and I had the same misgivings about the glass front and back. I worried over nothing.
    I dropped my iPhone 4 from bout 6-7 feet in the air straight on concrete. It bounced and rolled around as well. All I got was some scratches on the back of the metal band and on the edge of the glass on the back. Nothing at all visible from the front.

I freaked out and have had a case on it ever since (for about 4-5 months). I recently took the case off yesterday and forgot how nice the device feels in hand without a case. I may keep it caseless again for a while.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-08-11 09:50 AM
    I agree avt, I took the case off mine the other day and have been running with it naked. It feels so...nice.

At least until my Juice Pack Air in white gets here heh.
    avt123 likes this.
    10-08-11 05:53 PM
    Bold??! Bahhumbug! Torch <333333
    10-09-11 04:24 AM
    Now �434.99 on Amazon!!!! Price is dropping everyday, time to cancel and reorder at lower price.
    10-09-11 07:15 AM
    4S let down?

That phone is amazing and is well beyond anything RIM currently has in it's lineup. However, if the 9900 floats your boat, enjoy.
    10-09-11 08:13 AM
    Wow a few hrs later and another price drop to �428! What is going on?
    10-09-11 10:33 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD